Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat Blocking on Delta during COVID-19 (Ending 5/1/2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Blocking on Delta during COVID-19 (Ending 5/1/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2020, 7:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by coke cans and winglets
Had quite a weird experience today on Delta from SLC-DTW-SBN. Day starts out on that SLC-DTW flight, it's an A321 meaning that there are 10 seats that can be filled in First and I was #4 for 2 open unfortunately. There were 3 couples there and we went out with 3 empty rows of First. That's honestly my biggest travel gripe right now seeing empty rows like that go out, I don't get mad about it though, in the end I'm not confirmed First. What did make me wonder though was on my connection from DTW-SBN on a CRJ-200. Get to the gate, we're overbooked and need volunteers to take the next flight in 5 hours and enough volunteered. I'm in row 12 so I'm the second person on the plane. Then people keep boarding then all of a sudden people who aren't together are sitting next to each other in 8 rows and a lot of them said something since DL blocks seats. Then that got me very aggravated. The fact that they can't fill empty rows of First because 50% and "social distancing" but they're also over here putting people next to each other in those tiny CRJ200s which has WAY less space than a whole row in First even if it's more than 50% full, even a completely full First cabin would be better. In my opinion I just find it extremely hypocritical what they did there. Has anyone else had similar situations like this?
The reason for this is because of DLs flawed 1 sized fits all “capacity caps” For example in Y, DL is filling its planes up to 60% capacity. The CR2 seats 50 pax in a 2-2 configuration so at 60% capacity, DL is only selling 30 seats. With the CR2 being in a 2-2 configuration, this means that at least 5 people will need to sit next to someone assuming there are no pax traveling together. As far as F and couples traveling together, I agree that it’s ridiculous that they have to let rows go out empty. The good news is that DL is no longer advertising the 50% F capacity limit and is now only guaranteeing that you are there will be an empty seat next to you. Hopefully DL has figured out a way to not count couples against the capacity restrictions or will allow GAs to process UGs and go above the cap if there are couples traveling together.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I would say something. Even CRJ are supposed to have an empty seat.
This is not true. With the CR2 being all Y, they can fill it up to 60% capacity (30 pax). Due to the 2-2 configuration, if there are no couples traveling together, there could be instances of strangers having to sit next to each other.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
The reason for this is because of DLs flawed 1 sized fits all “capacity caps” For example in Y, DL is filling its planes up to 60% capacity. The CR2 seats 50 pax in a 2-2 configuration so at 60% capacity, DL is only selling 30 seats. With the CR2 being in a 2-2 configuration, this means that at least 5 people will need to sit next to someone assuming there are no pax traveling together. As far as F and couples traveling together, I agree that it’s ridiculous that they have to let rows go out empty. The good news is that DL is no longer advertising the 50% F capacity limit and is now only guaranteeing that you are there will be an empty seat next to you. Hopefully DL has figured out a way to not count couples against the capacity restrictions or will allow GAs to process UGs and go above the cap if there are couples traveling together.
I also got screwed out of an F upgrade. Spouse and I were numbers 1 and 2 for FC upgrade. Gate agent said they only had one FC seat available so number 3 got it with the seat beside him staying empty. This makes zero sense!
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
This is not true. With the CR2 being all Y, they can fill it up to 60% capacity (30 pax). Due to the 2-2 configuration, if there are no couples traveling together, there could be instances of strangers having to sit next to each other.
I read the OP stated to mean the plane was packed full (all seats used).
Old Oct 4, 2020, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I also got screwed out of an F upgrade. Spouse and I were numbers 1 and 2 for FC upgrade. Gate agent said they only had one FC seat available so number 3 got it with the seat beside him staying empty. This makes zero sense!
I flew a couple months ago on a domestic wide-body fight and was #1 on the list for zero seats. I asked the GA about an UG since it appeared they were only booking it to 50% even though widebodies were supposed to be at 75% capacity at the time and he told me that since the flight was only marketed as FC and not D1, they could only fill it to 50%. Thankfully it appears they’ve fixed this nonsense policy and FC domestic widebodies flights match the same D1 cabin capacity rules, but DL needs to adjust their capacity restrictions for each fleet and not just follow the 60/50 rule for all fleets.
MSPeconomist and GagaPilot like this.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Thankfully it appears they’ve fixed this nonsense policy and FC domestic widebodies flights match the same D1 cabin capacity rules, but DL needs to adjust their capacity restrictions for each fleet and not just follow the 60/50 rule for all fleets.
Are you sure about this? My ATL SLC flight last week on 764 capped F at 50%
Old Oct 4, 2020, 9:14 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by fly747first
There was a policy change on 10/1.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 9:19 pm

Programs: DL DM
The wording on Delta's website is that, "Select aisle seats will be blocked on smaller aircraft with 2x2 seating configurations." Therefore, there is no explicit guarantee of an empty seat next to you on a CRJ anymore. All of my upcoming CRJ flights show the B row completely blocked, suggesting that if you are in C or D you could have a neighbor.

... so much for them pulling out a bigger plane when they are close to capacity as they said they would. They couldn't substitute a CRJ700?
Old Oct 4, 2020, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
There was a policy change on 10/1.
Good to know. I'll quote 10/1 if any agent gives me a hard time.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by tardyturtle
... so much for them pulling out a bigger plane when they are close to capacity as they said they would. They couldn't substitute a CRJ700?
A CRJ-700, or any RJ with a 2-2 configuration won't make much of a difference. With all RJs in being in a 2-2 configuration and DL allowing up to 60% capacity in Y, if there are no couples traveling together there will end up being a few rows where strangers will have to sit next to someone.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A CRJ-700, or any RJ with a 2-2 configuration won't make much of a difference. With all RJs in being in a 2-2 configuration and DL allowing up to 60% capacity in Y, if there are no couples traveling together there will end up being a few rows where strangers will have to sit next to someone.
Yes but you are PM, I'm sure you will be fine
Old Oct 5, 2020, 5:15 am

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
Gate agent in Harrisburg this morning Is announcing that, when boarding “smaller planes,” Delta will fill to the capacity limit and she said that this will mean solo travelers sitting in adjacent seats.

The impression had been given that the new limits were to allow more seating of parties of two and three traveling together.

But I guess not.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 5:50 am

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by fly747first
Then that's also weird because when I did SLC-ATL on a 763 in late July it was capped at 75%. Do they really even know what they're doing at this point haha
Old Oct 5, 2020, 6:17 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
I flew in F last Friday on a CR9. I had 4C, I was surprised when I got to my seat that there was someone in 4D (they were also surprised). No big deal, I don't expect I'll have a seat empty next to me on every DL flight. But what was strange to me, is that there were no pax in 2CD...
Old Oct 5, 2020, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I would submit a complaint to DL. The CR200 is already known widely as a 'torture tube' and being squished next to someone in there goes against DL's whole extra space for safety thing. Personally I would not fly in that plane under current circumstances... do they haven have hepa air filters?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.