Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat Blocking on Delta during COVID-19 (Ending 5/1/2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Blocking on Delta during COVID-19 (Ending 5/1/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2021, 5:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by lateacher
That's the strange thing. I'm a solo traveler in 4B, and the seat next to me is occupied.
Hmm it appears some strange things are going on with DLs inventory and capacity limits right now. Looking at DL.com right now, every flight from SLC-LAX is over the First Class “COVID capacity limit,” but inventory is selling to full capacity. On DL2109, there are 17 seats taken with 2 more more still open for sale (Seat 1C/D is blocked for the FA on the 739) even with the cabin already being “COVID full.” I wonder if the Saturday schedule change update today messed up inventory, perhaps pushing comp UGs into FC causing the cap to go over? Please report back tomorrow on what happens.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 5:55 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Hmm it appears some strange things are going on with DLs inventory and capacity limits right now. Looking at DL.com right now, every flight from SLC-LAX is over the First Class “COVID capacity limit,” but inventory is selling to full capacity. On DL2109, there are 17 seats taken with 2 more more still open for sale (Seat 1C/D is blocked for the FA on the 739) even with the cabin being “COVID full. I wonder if the Saturday schedule change update today messed up inventory, perhaps pushing comp UGs into FC causing the cap to go over? Please report back tomorrow on what happens.
That doesn't sound good. I rebooked onto this flight after my original was canceled. Will update for sure.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 6:01 pm

Because of increased demand and possible pilot/fa staffing issues, the seat blocks are being lifted for the next 2 days.

Hmm it appears some strange things are going on with DLs inventory and capacity limits right now. Looking at DL.com right now, every flight from SLC-LAX is over the First Class “COVID capacity limit,” but inventory is selling to full capacity. On DL2109, there are 17 seats taken with 2 more more still open for sale (Seat 1C/D is blocked for the FA on the 739) even with the cabin already being “COVID full.” I wonder if the Saturday schedule change update today messed up inventory, perhaps pushing comp UGs into FC causing the cap to go over? Please report back tomorrow on what happens.
dw likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Twohitwonder
Because of increased demand and possible pilot/fa staffing issues, the seat blocks are being lifted for the next 2 days.
What does that mean? Blocking middle economy seats is still a published policy until 4/30, as is adjacent-FC blocking. Releasing blocks on FA-proximity seats or allowing people traveling together or who are willing to sit together (e.g. "you 3 separate standbys, I can put you on if you're all willing to share a row), but I hope they're not just jamming random strangers between people without permission.

I'm looking at booking a college visit trip later this month with my daughter, and am seriously looking at DL only because of the blocked seat; would be VERY displeased and wouldn't allow someone in between us without significant argument (and likely deplaning/rebooking on another flight if necessary). People can like the policy or not like it, but it is the documented policy.
CO-PLAT and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
I was glad that AA was the only major airline not to do anything different during the pandemic (other than requiring masks).
AA has essentially stopped all food and beverage service except for limited service in First Class. At least Delta still gives coach passengers a snack bag.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 7:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
Delta "Stopped" for the next 2 days but they've been doing it consistently along flights in the US for the past few weeks. You can't do seat blocking then also cut your flights 20-30%.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 7:12 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by jmastron
People can like the policy or not like it, but it is the documented policy.
Apparently flights are going to be booked up to 100% for the next two days. IMHO huge failure on the part of DL.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by jmastron
What does that mean? Blocking middle economy seats is still a published policy until 4/30, as is adjacent-FC blocking. Releasing blocks on FA-proximity seats or allowing people traveling together or who are willing to sit together (e.g. "you 3 separate standbys, I can put you on if you're all willing to share a row), but I hope they're not just jamming random strangers between people without permission.

I'm looking at booking a college visit trip later this month with my daughter, and am seriously looking at DL only because of the blocked seat; would be VERY displeased and wouldn't allow someone in between us without significant argument (and likely deplaning/rebooking on another flight if necessary). People can like the policy or not like it, but it is the documented policy.
It means that DL is going to fully book flights for the next 2 days, then will have seats blocked again until May 1.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by dw
Apparently flights are going to be booked up to 100% for the next two days. IMHO huge failure on the part of DL.
What an awful weeks it’s been for DL. So much for all that new “loyalty” they were supposed to earn after the pandemic ends for all their “COVID precautions.”
CO-PLAT, cmd320, strickerj and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
What an awful weeks it’s been for DL. So much for all that new “loyalty” they were supposed to earn after the pandemic ends for all their “COVID precautions.”
Temporary loyalty is probably a more accurate term.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Twohitwonder
It's impressive how quickly the famous "Delta CareStandard" goes out the window for operational failures.

Call me a conspiracy theorist (and you should), but this almost smells like a trial balloon for ending the middle-seat-block even earlier than 5/1.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dw
They've cancelled 3% of their flights today and none for tomorrow so far. There may be a few flights that end up "100%" full due to the cancellations, but I seriously doubt there will be that many and they will likely be able to maintain seat blocking on most flights. It's not like a miraculous amount of demand is going to instantly materialize at the last minute to fill these flights with pax.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 9:12 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles Diamond Medallion, Delta Amex Reserve, Marriott Rewards Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Spire
Here is a tricky one - passenger A books flight A in first expecting seat blocked. Passenger B books on flight B with same plan but also hoping to SDC.

Come today passenger B looks at SDC and finds plenty of FC capacity and makes the move. Oddly no seats available but confirmed in FC on flight A.

Both passenger A and B board flight A to find themselves next to each other having paid with the expectation of an empty seat. Downgrade an OU passenger, offer VDB as compensation, some other outcome? Of course this somewhat depends on the individuals as well but would be a sticky situation if FC was already COVID full.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 9:56 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by apodo77
Yep no other airlines ever gets to the destination on time. 🙃
For the month of January (the most recent month available), an American flight was 7 times more likely to be canceled than a Delta flight. A United flight 9 times more likely. Also significantly more likely to arrive on time with Delta/Delta Connection than with American, United, Southwest, Frontier, Spirit or JetBlue.

https://www.transportation.gov/sites...021%20ATCR.pdf
Old Apr 4, 2021, 1:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
I've actually sent an email to Delta after talking to them via Text regarding my past 3 flights having seat blocks only to not at the gate. I'll see what they reply with but since it's been nearly a week of that email being sent I have doubts it'll even be answered. When the flight change stuff calms down I'll give a call.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.