Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat Blocking on Delta during COVID-19 (Ending 5/1/2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Blocking on Delta during COVID-19 (Ending 5/1/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2020, 10:00 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by rylan
Maybe if they just update it so that people traveling and seated together don't count against the limit... so then F could range from 50% (where everyone is traveling alone and seats are blocked) to 100% (if F is all people traveling with a companion seated next to them).
It’s ridiculous that DL can’t figure out how to make this work this by now. They are probably loosing potential revenue, especially on leisure heavy routes where there could be lots of couples traveling together. For example on this flight below, there are 3 couples traveling together (6 total pax) and 2 solo pax, meaning that F is already at 8/10. With the stupid 50% capacity rule, there is guaranteed to be 3 empty pairs of seats where DL could have easily put 3 solo pax in F. It’s also sad to hear GAs are getting written up/disciplined for using common with processing UGs because they went over the “50% rule.”

MSPeconomist and cmd320 like this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
It’s ridiculous that DL can’t figure out how to make this work this by now. They are probably loosing potential revenue, especially on leisure heavy routes where there could be lots of couples traveling together. For example on this flight below, there are 3 couples traveling together (6 total pax) and 2 solo pax, meaning that F is already at 8/10. With the stupid 50% capacity rule, there is guaranteed to be 3 empty pairs of seats where DL could have easily put 3 solo pax in F. It’s also sad to hear GAs are getting written up/disciplined for using common with processing UGs because they went over the “50% rule.”
I agree. You see this all the time on MCO flights with couples/families, etc.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
This isn't an INOP thing. On every 739 I'm flying, days/weeks before the flight, the seat chart has 1C and 1D X'd out - not blocked, but "taken." And they were obviously vacant on my last flight. So I'm thinking cmd320 may have the best explanation.
Cmd320's explanation is partially correct. The FAA requirement is that if a flight attendant cannot occupy a jumpseat, he or she must occupy the closest seat to the jumpseat. Delta is spacing out working FAs, so that is why 1C and 1D are blocked on every flight for the front FAs.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MTCman379
Cmd320's explanation is partially correct. The FAA requirement is that if a flight attendant cannot occupy a jumpseat, he or she must occupy the closest seat to the jumpseat. Delta is spacing out working FAs, so that is why 1C and 1D are blocked on every flight for the front FAs.
Out of curiosity, why is this not the case on 757s?
Old Sep 21, 2020, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
DL is adhering to its published policy, for which I applaud them. If DL was selling its F cabins over what it says it will (as AS regularly does, despite the marketing), I wouldn't be paying for F on DL.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by cmd320
Out of curiosity, why is this not the case on 757s?
I am not as familiar with the 757s, but my guess would be that either 1) the jumpseat layout is enough to separate the FAs without having to occupy seats or 2) 19DEF is blocked instead of 1CD
Old Sep 21, 2020, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
DL is adhering to its published policy, for which I applaud them. If DL was selling its F cabins over what it says it will (as AS regularly does, despite the marketing), I wouldn't be paying for F on DL.
Their main policy is to keep the seat next to you vacant to allow for social distancing. If there are couples traveling together, taking up two seats next to each other (which DL allows), there is no reason why the second seat should count against the 50% capacity as there will still be room for another solo pax to not have a seat mate.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 11:59 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Their main policy is to keep the seat next to you vacant to allow for social distancing.
That's not what the policy says. If they wanted a Southwest style policy, they could certainly have drafted it that way.

If there are couples traveling together, taking up two seats next to each other (which DL allows), there is no reason why the second seat should count against the 50% capacity as there will still be room for another solo pax to not have a seat mate.
More people in a given space increases the risk of aerosol transmission. That's just simple physics.

When I buy DL F, I'm paying for a cabin that is booked no more than 50% full.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's not what the policy says. If they wanted a Southwest style policy, they could certainly have drafted it that way.

More people in a given space increases the risk of aerosol transmission. That's just simple physics.

It isn't going to last much longer and that's just the reality. Even DL knows this. AA and UA aren't having any noteworthy problems filling their aircraft. People aren't getting sick in droves or avoiding booking seats on either airline.

I don't really see how DL can keep this game up much longer, even if it's generating them a bit of short-term goodwill that will immediately disappear once seats become unblocked.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
It isn't going to last much longer and that's just the reality. Even DL knows this. AA and UA aren't having any noteworthy problems filling their aircraft. People aren't getting sick in droves or avoiding booking seats on either airline.

I don't really see how DL can keep this game up much longer, even if it's generating them a bit of short-term goodwill that will immediately disappear once seats become unblocked.
I agree with most of your points, but not the bolded one. People are definitely booking away from both carriers (including me, as an EXP and 1K). The reason UA and AA are filling aircraft is they've cut schedules to the bone.

So long as DL offers a less dense cabin environment, they'll continue to get my business when the routing makes sense. Even though I'm just a lowly DL silver.
DenverBrian and aacar like this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
I agree with most of your points, but not the bolded one. People are definitely booking away from both carriers (including me, as an EXP and 1K). The reason UA and AA are filling aircraft is they've cut schedules to the bone.

So long as DL offers a less dense cabin environment, they'll continue to get my business when the routing makes sense. Even though I'm just a lowly DL silver.
Indeed, I have made the risk assessment that booking a connection on DL is better than booking a nonstop on UA or AA for any flight of more than three hours.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
People are definitely booking away from both carriers (including me, as an EXP and 1K). The reason UA and AA are filling aircraft is they've cut schedules to the bone.
+1. I, along with most of my colleagues, have been exclusively choosing DL for any necessary trips over the past few months. And I suspect this type of behavior isn't that uncommon.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 1:13 pm

The reality is that it is dumb for DL to be leaving pairs of F seats completely empty just because there is a couple is traveling together somewhere in the F cabin. In the example from the seat map I posted above, DL could easily fit 5 more solo pax and each of them would have an empty seat next to them. With DL and their 50% cap rule, only 2 more pax can be added to F, meaning 3 pairs of seats must go out empty. It makes zero sense to me why it’s not safe for them to fill those 3 extra seats and why they must go out empty.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
"booked to 50%" (policy as written) is one thing; "filled to over 50% with gate upgrades while still maintaining adjacent empty seats" (a reasonable practice) is another
Old Sep 21, 2020, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
The reality is that it is dumb for DL to be leaving pairs of F seats completely empty just because there is a couple is traveling together somewhere in the F cabin. In the example from the seat map I posted above, DL could easily fit 5 more solo pax and each of them would have an empty seat next to them. With DL and their 50% cap rule, only 2 more pax can be added to F, meaning 3 pairs of seats must go out empty. It makes zero sense to me why it’s not safe for them to fill those 3 extra seats and why they must go out empty.
If DL stopped committing to a 50% cap and instead took the "empty seat next to solo travelers" approach (which they might do after 10/31), they could then fill up the entire F cabin with couples - no different than AA / UA.
I'm sure many people would be more comfortable in a cabin with 4 other couples, rather than having 9 other couples in the same space.

Not saying either way is right or wrong...but I certainly wouldn't call the current policy "dumb."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.