Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat Blocking on Delta during COVID-19 (Ending 5/1/2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Blocking on Delta during COVID-19 (Ending 5/1/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2020, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
On one of my flights today, I was in 1A; 1B blocked; but 1C and 1D were vacant, and one FA came up to sit in 1C for takeoff and landing.

But...doesn't this displace the FA from their regular jump seat? Doesn't this put them in an improper position for evacuation scenarios?
I believe the FAA did in fact waive this requirement temporarily, so long as the exit is still manned by at least one FA.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 2:50 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I was on the SLC-DCA flight on Monday 8/24/20.

The GIDS screen at the gatehouse in SLC, as well as on my Iphone, showed that 12 F seats were being used, with 7 filled and 5 "available" (it was an A320 with 16 F seats), However, the GA told me that they were only using 7 F seats (with 1 C-D blocked for FA use).

Does the 75% F capacity start right away?
Old Aug 28, 2020, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
On one of my flights today, I was in 1A; 1B blocked; but 1C and 1D were vacant, and one FA came up to sit in 1C for takeoff and landing.

But...doesn't this displace the FA from their regular jump seat? Doesn't this put them in an improper position for evacuation scenarios?
It's possible for FA to use regular seat when jumpseat is INOP. (First row/aisle) Thus I figure there's nothing wrong here.

I know on CRJ/E170/5 that semi regularly would see FA in 1A when jumpseat for FA was broken.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 1:02 pm

I have existing reservations for Christmas travel, so I went in to see how everything works in real life. As I booked 4 tickets under one reservation, I am able to book multiple seats next to one another, if I wish. Although I've chosen not to do that, as I can book only two seats in a 3 seat row, and the middle seat is then blocked out. Therefore, A family of 4 can comfortably sit across two 3 seat rows.

What's more interesting is that some flights are on planes that have only 2 seats on the left of the aisle and 3 seats on the right. If I book only one passenger per row sitting on the left, the seat next to the booked seat blocks out on the seating chart, and each family member can then have their own 2 seat row.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by flyerCO
It's possible for FA to use regular seat when jumpseat is INOP. (First row/aisle) Thus I figure there's nothing wrong here.

I know on CRJ/E170/5 that semi regularly would see FA in 1A when jumpseat for FA was broken.
This isn't an INOP thing. On every 739 I'm flying, days/weeks before the flight, the seat chart has 1C and 1D X'd out - not blocked, but "taken." And they were obviously vacant on my last flight. So I'm thinking cmd320 may have the best explanation.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 8:48 pm

Programs: DL DM
I found it interesting to note that "Select aisle seats will be blocked on smaller aircraft with 2x2 seating configurations." I previously assumed that passengers will be guaranteed to have the seat next to them on 2x2 planes empty, but this does not appear to be the case.

Looking at my reservations, up until sometime in October, the seat next to me is blocked after I select it. In flights between then and November, only the B seats are blocked (if you select C or D, the other one remains open). My flights from November on don't show any blocking, though I'm guessing that seat blocking will be applied once the schedule changes hit in a few weeks.

Just pay attention to seat blocking patterns when selecting seats on regional jets from mid October on... For me, I'll be sitting in 13A to have the seat next to me guaranteed empty .
Old Aug 28, 2020, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tardyturtle
I found it interesting to note that "Select aisle seats will be blocked on smaller aircraft with 2x2 seating configurations." I previously assumed that passengers will be guaranteed to have the seat next to them on 2x2 planes empty, but this does not appear to be the case.

Looking at my reservations, up until sometime in October, the seat next to me is blocked after I select it. In flights between then and November, only the B seats are blocked (if you select C or D, the other one remains open). My flights from November on don't show any blocking, though I'm guessing that seat blocking will be applied once the schedule changes hit in a few weeks.

Just pay attention to seat blocking patterns when selecting seats on regional jets from mid October on... For me, I'll be sitting in 13A to have the seat next to me guaranteed empty .
If you’re traveling solo, the adjacent seat should remain open for you only to switch into it. If you were to look at the seat map when not logged in on the DL website, that adjacent seat should show blocked.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by cmd320
If you’re traveling solo, the adjacent seat should remain open for you only to switch into it. If you were to look at the seat map when not logged in on the DL website, that adjacent seat should show blocked.
Yes, that's a great way to test it
Old Aug 29, 2020, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by cmd320
Thanks for pointing that out—I hadn’t looked that way. Just tried it for a November flight and it’s not showing blocking next to me. Tried it for October flights and I’m getting empty seat maps... hopefully not more schedule changes getting pushed! Will have to try again on those ones on Monday.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
This isn't an INOP thing. On every 739 I'm flying, days/weeks before the flight, the seat chart has 1C and 1D X'd out - not blocked, but "taken." And they were obviously vacant on my last flight. So I'm thinking cmd320 may have the best explanation.
I know it's not an INOP thing. You asked how it could be legal and I pointed out is in INOP situations so unlikely issue otherwise.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I know it's not an INOP thing. You asked how it could be legal and I pointed out is in INOP situations so unlikely issue otherwise.
Aren't these seats being blocked so that one of the flight attendants can sit there?
DenverBrian and cmd320 like this.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
A plethora of mis-information:

The seat assignment page on the website says (for my existing reservation): "Through Sept. 30, seats on Delta-operated flights will automatically be blocked next to the seat(s) you select...."

The Diamond desk agent says that seat blocking in all cabins will continue through 1/6/2021.

The DL website says: "Blocking middle seats on all aircraft in Main Cabin, Delta Comfort+ and Delta Premium Select." will continue through 1/6/2021, but First Class will continue to be limited to half of its capacity only through 10/31/2020... with no indication of what happens after that.

Is there any reliable information on what happens in FC post 10/31/2021?
Old Sep 21, 2020, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
A plethora of mis-information:

The seat assignment page on the website says (for my existing reservation): "Through Sept. 30, seats on Delta-operated flights will automatically be blocked next to the seat(s) you select...."

The Diamond desk agent says that seat blocking in all cabins will continue through 1/6/2021.

The DL website says: "Blocking middle seats on all aircraft in Main Cabin, Delta Comfort+ and Delta Premium Select." will continue through 1/6/2021, but First Class will continue to be limited to half of its capacity only through 10/31/2020... with no indication of what happens after that.

Is there any reliable information on what happens in FC post 10/31/2021?
I don’t think anyone knows for sure. There has been some speculation—based on survey questions—that they may be considering filling first to 75% capacity.

It seems that some form of seat blocking will continue through January 6 with middle seats blocked, but they are figuring out how to handle 2x2 seating arrangements. Some of my CRJ flights are showing the B row in Y blocked, suggesting that while some seats are blocked you may not be guaranteed to have a seat’s worth of separation if you’re not on the blocked side.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tardyturtle
I don’t think anyone knows for sure. There has been some speculation—based on survey questions—that they may be considering filling first to 75% capacity.
I don't really understand why or how they would fill F to 75% rather than just going to 100%. How do they plan to decide who has a seat mate and who gets a blocked seat next to them?
Old Sep 21, 2020, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Maybe if they just update it so that people traveling and seated together don't count against the limit... so then F could range from 50% (where everyone is traveling alone and seats are blocked) to 100% (if F is all people traveling with a companion seated next to them).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.