Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat Blocking on Delta during COVID-19 (Ending 5/1/2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Blocking on Delta during COVID-19 (Ending 5/1/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2020, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by Jostgarden
After spending extra to ensure an open seat (2 seat arrangement) on a recent Delta flight from SGA to PDX (both directions), I found myself sitting next to a flight attendant despite Delta showing this seat as blocked off. But it gets worse, once we arrived in SLC from SGA to change planes to PDX, everyone on the flight had to deplane just off the runway to take a bus to a gate. Delta never offered this info up at any point in the booking. Just wanted to give heads up to anyone planning to fly on Delta and thinking of spending extra cashola to get that open seat to remain open, and anyone passing through SLC (bus gating has apparently become a de rigueur thing for flights through SLC due to construction). This experience (and all the maskless pax in the airports) has convinced me I won't be flying again for a long while. Anyone else think airlines should be required to inform pax about this?
Unfortunately, while Delta has the best spacing policy in 3-3 Main Cabin seating, they don't apply the same to the 2-2 aircraft. While it does state this on the website, I could definitely see how someone one miss it based on the way they advertise. I actually haven't flown during COVID, but this one reason I'd avoid RJs unless traveling with my spouse.

By the way, what airport did you fly from? SGA is in the mountains of Afghanistan near the Tajikastan border.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Flew RDU-FLL on a CRJ900 this morning. I was upgraded to C+ when I booked and selected an A seat because B is being blocked. 6 days out I got the UG to FC and selected a D seat.
But midway through boarding a passenger came up from the back to complain that someone was sitting next to him. The FA did a good job of explaining the policy, I thought, and then made an announcement explaining how the policy applied to the RJs. He also said that the GA should have announced the situation before boarding. I was in the lounge so go to the gate just as the flight boarded so don't know if she did.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 7:42 pm

Programs: Many
Delta Air Lines Commits To Blocking Middle Seats Through March 2021
Old Nov 24, 2020, 10:07 pm

Programs: The usual suspects
If I am traveling alone and purchase "my seat" and the one next to it in order to ensure there is an empty seat next to me, will it really be empty or will it be seized for the benefit of an FA or someone else with a "need." I am not a person of size who actually needs to buy a second seat.

I have to travel from SEA to North Carolina next month and can take a) Delta with a connection in ATL but purportedly empty middle seat on the long leg, b) American non-stop but a full plane, or c) Alaska non-stop with a blocked middle seat but with a longer drive to my destination.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 10:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by onlyairfare
If I am traveling alone and purchase "my seat" and the one next to it in order to ensure there is an empty seat next to me, will it really be empty or will it be seized for the benefit of an FA or someone else with a "need." I am not a person of size who actually needs to buy a second seat.

I have to travel from SEA to North Carolina next month and can take a) Delta with a connection in ATL but purportedly empty middle seat on the long leg, b) American non-stop but a full plane, or c) Alaska non-stop with a blocked middle seat but with a longer drive to my destination.
In most scenarios, you shouldn’t need to purchase an adjacent seat right now. Middle seats are obviously blocked right now and on 2-2 aircraft, if you book early enough right now, the B seats are blocked from selection so you can select an A seat and have the entire pair to yourself.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 5:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Really wish DL would rethink their F seat blocking policy on narrowbody flights. Have a flight today where F is booked at 50% (so no chance of upgrade) but everyone in F is traveling in a pair and seated next to each other. Literally half the rows of F will be completely empty while elites wait on upgrade list and it's not possible to even purchase an upgrade. Gate agents should have discretion at boarding time to fill any remaining empty F seat pairs at 50% capacity. That would still ensure the intent of DL's social distancing seat policy is met while adding a modicum of common sense.

-FlyerBeek
MSPeconomist, cmd320 and MCO Flyer like this.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Really wish DL would rethink their F seat blocking policy on narrowbody flights. Have a flight today where F is booked at 50% (so no chance of upgrade) but everyone in F is traveling in a pair and seated next to each other. Literally half the rows of F will be completely empty while elites wait on upgrade list and it's not possible to even purchase an upgrade. Gate agents should have discretion at boarding time to fill any remaining empty F seat pairs at 50% capacity. That would still ensure the intent of DL's social distancing seat policy is met while adding a modicum of common sense.

-FlyerBeek
Problem is them when the 4 upgrades have companions. If it was fine for paid to sit next to each other, why not them? Now cabin is 100% full.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 7:12 am

My parents are supposed to fly tomorrow from BOS to RDU on a 2x2 regional jet. She was told by Detla on the phone the the flight is full. Despite website saying the aisle seats are blocked, her flight is full. She has someone (not my dad) in the seat right next to her. Now she's second guessing her trip.

EDIT: Delta said Row B is always blocked off BUT if the person in Row A is traveling with a companion, they can book Row B. In that case, if you're in Row C or D, you have someone next to you in Row B. So its nice for someone in A to be able to sit next to their companion, but it screws the people in Row C from having a blocked off seat.

Last edited by djseto; Nov 25, 2020 at 7:57 am
Old Nov 25, 2020, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Problem is them when the 4 upgrades have companions. If it was fine for paid to sit next to each other, why not them? Now cabin is 100% full.
If the GAs were limited to filling only 50% of remaining seat pairs at boarding time, then - at absolute most - F would only fill to 75% capacity and every F passenger would have been afforded the option of having a neighboring empty seat. Of course, this means that some with companions might only have one upgrade clear, but that's really no different than the present policy. In any case, there's never going to be a perfect solution.

-FlyerBeek
Old Nov 25, 2020, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by djseto
My parents are supposed to fly tomorrow from BOS to RDU on a 2x2 regional jet. She was told by Detla on the phone the the flight is full. Despite website saying the aisle seats are blocked, her flight is full. She has someone (not my dad) in the seat right next to her. Now she's second guessing her trip.

EDIT: Delta said Row B is always blocked off BUT if the person in Row A is traveling with a companion, they can book Row B. In that case, if you're in Row C or D, you have someone next to you in Row B. So its nice for someone in A to be able to sit next to their companion, but it screws the people in Row C from having a blocked off seat.
AB and CD are separate sides. They had to choose one. I believe if ask at gate they'll try and move any companions from AB to CD so solo passengers can take an A seat with B blocked.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek

-FlyerBeek
The 50% cap in F is honestly ridiculous at this point with 2-2 aircraft no longer blocking seats. F should at least be at 75% capacity with B seats blocked for solo pax. Even 100% as this point would be okay as F would have the same cabin density as Y with middle seats blocked in Y. I guess your immune from COVID by having an empty seat blocking you from your seat mate, but the bulky armrest isn’t good enough.

F should be safe at 100%, especially since it’s actually the same cabin density as Y is at this point with middle seats blocked off.
cmd320 and strickerj like this.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Correction: 2-2 FC is less dense, at 100%, than 3-3 coach with all middle seats blocked (67%) because the pitch is greater in FC.

I like FC with an empty seat next to me, but it's silly to see empty pairs of seats with elites on the upgrade wait list. Require companions to sit together and then upgrade to the point where at least one of every pair of seats is occupied. This should not be hard.
cmd320, strickerj and MCO Flyer like this.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Correction: 2-2 FC is less dense, at 100%, than 3-3 coach with all middle seats blocked (67%) because the pitch is greater in FC.

I like FC with an empty seat next to me, but it's silly to see empty pairs of seats with elites on the upgrade wait list. Require companions to sit together and then upgrade to the point where at least one of every pair of seats is occupied. This should not be hard.
Yeah this is true. I don’t think F should be at 100% yet and 75% should be appropriate with the B seats blocked for solo travelers and the C/D side can remain for couples and gate UGs who are willing to sit next to a stranger. It cost DL much more to leave F seats empty than Y seats.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 10:28 am

Programs: Delta, American Express, Budget, Alamo, Enterprise, Avis, Hertz, Alaska
Need to clarify. The rest of the flight was 3 by 3. I paid extra for a spot by the door with only two seats. One ended up being occupied by FA.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 10:36 am

Programs: Delta, American Express, Budget, Alamo, Enterprise, Avis, Hertz, Alaska
From the Delta website -

This aircraft does not have middle seats, so we’ve instead blocked aisle “B” seats through March 30, 2021. Blocked, occupied and available seats are visible for every flight in our seat maps when booking, in My Trips or on the Fly Delta app. Check the seat map for your flight as the seat adjacent to yours may be occupied.

As for SLC, they try not to use bus gates anymore than necessary. However it is sometimes necessary and there's no way to know beforehand as gate assignment constantly change due to IRROPS, etc... Regardless, bus gates are a fact of life, they exist at many airports.
Originating flight and return minus SGU segment were 3 x 3 with a 2 seat config by the door. That's the seat I paid extra for. As for gate arrangements, my issue is no one told us we were going to have to board a bus at any point. If this weren't the age of Covid, I would shrug. But obviously, this is not the case. Certainly, the airline should note the potential for this when the flights are booked. If they consider it normal then inform fliers. I hadn't flown since last winter so how would I know what is happening at gates across America when no one is reporting it?

Last edited by ProjectRebooter; Nov 25, 2020 at 11:31 am Reason: misspelling due to autocorrect

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.