FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Consolidated Closed Threads: DL Related COVID Mask Discussions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2023671-consolidated-closed-threads-dl-related-covid-mask-discussions.html)

lowfareair Jul 18, 2020 7:16 am

Consolidated Closed Threads: DL Related COVID Mask Discussions

Everyone - This is a mass merged thread collection of the various mask related threads for Delta Air Lines during the COVID 19 Pandemic. When mask threads pop up, they quickly turn into political debates, debates on efficacy of masks, etc. They are simply closed and merged here, without any censorship.

More information on this decision to not permit Anti Mask posts within the Delta forum and flyertalk in general can be found here : https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sugg...-director.html

Thank you,
Ryandc99
Moderator Delta Air Lines

According to Paddle Your Own Kanoo, it looks like Delta will have a new policy for masks:

1) Strongly discourage those who cannot wear a mask from flying
2) Those who say they cannot wear one for health reasons will have to arrive a bit earlier to complete a telehealth session with a doctor (that it appears is funded fully by Delta) who provides clearance for them to fly without a mask.
3) Gate agents/FAs will have a list of anyone who is cleared to not wear a mask and their respective seat

I think this is unfortunate but necessary given the number of people screaming that wearing a mask infringes on their rights (yet somehow requiring other clothing doesn't?) falsely claiming they have a medical need that prevents them from wearing one.

Justin026 Jul 18, 2020 7:50 am

Not sure this is to “greatly strengthen.” Looks more like some procedures to catch up with their pretty clear rules. Similar to the procedures at TSA if you don’t want to walk through a detector or don’t have an ID.

Based on my last ten or so flights, mask wearing is essentially 100% on Delta planes and 80%+ in the airports, which are so uncrowded it really isn’t an issue.

lowfareair Jul 18, 2020 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Justin026 (Post 32540596)
Not sure this is to “greatly strengthen.” Looks more like some procedures to catch up with their pretty clear rules. Similar to the procedures at TSA if you don’t want to walk through a detector or don’t have an ID.

Today you can walk on the plane and anyone who asks you just have to say "I cannot for medical reasons" and the airline couldn't really do anything. As of Monday, it requires arriving to the airport early and discussing it over the phone with a doctor who will make an assessment and note it for staff operating the flight. Seems like a big strengthening to me.

Imagine if someone pulled over for reckless driving could decline a breathalyzer and the police couldn't do anything about it. If the police then set a new policy that anyone who refuses a breathalyzer has to get blood drawn at the nearby hospital, I'd say that "greatly strengthens" the requirement.

Often1 Jul 18, 2020 8:50 am

It's a smart move. Allowing someone onboard without a mask is a calculated risk to others, both crew and passengers. That risk has to be worth i

lowfareair Jul 18, 2020 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 32540695)
It's a smart move. Allowing someone onboard without a mask is a calculated risk to others, both crew and passengers. That risk has to be worth i

The more I think about it, the more beneficial I think it is for marketing as well - it helps calm those who have seen the viral photos/videos of people not wearing a mask on a plane and may help convince them to travel if they are worried.

cmd320 Jul 18, 2020 9:11 am

It strengthens one avenue to avoid wearing a mask, however all someone has to do is plop a bag of M&Ms on their tray table and claim they're eating.

HDQDD Jul 18, 2020 10:12 am

Originally Posted by lowfareair (Post 32540521)
I think this is unfortunate but necessary given the number of people screaming that wearing a mask infringes on their rights (yet somehow requiring other clothing doesn't?) falsely claiming they have a medical need that prevents them from wearing one.

I have a Doctor friend whose patient told him "I don't believe in this mask business". His response was: "It's not the tooth fairy, it's a pandemic and people are dying". Love that. My response is: "Do you want businesses to open (and stay open)? Do you like having a job? ...then wear a mask so we can slow the spread."

Sadly in this country we're always going to have a small, yet significant part of the population that think the rules don't apply to them. Thankfully from what I've observed, the vast majority of people at airports are wearing masks (the ones that aren't have been good at distancing themselves which isn't difficult in empty airports), and I don't believe I've seen a single person in flight not wearing a mask (unless eating or drinking).

Often1 Jul 18, 2020 10:14 am

There is always "that guy." But, even "that guy" is dealt with in short order by the FA.

DLASflyer Jul 18, 2020 11:32 am

This is great. Nice job Delta.

TerryK Jul 18, 2020 11:40 am

I am all for it but it needs to be publicized better. I wouldn't have learned it without FT and average passengers are not FTers.

notquiteaff Jul 18, 2020 12:16 pm

As a free agent, that increases the likelihood I would fly Delta if I have to fly somewhere.

cfabar1 Jul 18, 2020 12:30 pm

The way delta has handled this virus and their desire to keep passengers as safe as possible has made me proud to be a customer.

I will not fly the other airlines. Their approach to this pandemic will be remembered by many and for a long time even after the pandemic some of deltas competitors will not be used by our family.

GateGuardian Jul 18, 2020 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Justin026 (Post 32540596)

Based on my last ten or so flights, mask wearing is essentially 100% on Delta planes and 80%+ in the airports, which are so uncrowded it really isn’t an issue.

While not crowded as before, it's crowded enough with all the gates consolidated that mask should still be worn (from my experience at ATL and DTW).

exwannabe Jul 18, 2020 1:54 pm

Agree with DL 100% here,

A plane (and the terminal) is far to congested to not require masks. And for all those jack-asses that claim it is their right to not wear a mask, it is DL's right not to fly them.

Failing to wear a mask risks others. I could care less if Darwin wants to kill off these clowns, but their parents should not die because of it.

cmd320 Jul 18, 2020 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by exwannabe (Post 32541297)
Failing to wear a mask risks others.

Not if others are wearing an N95.