Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Closed Threads: DL Related COVID Mask Discussions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated Closed Threads: DL Related COVID Mask Discussions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2022, 10:32 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by Gertjaars
People celebrating in here as if Delta is introducing a 5 course Buffet on all transcon DL flights with this wrong move.

You guys are delirious if you think PDB or any pre-covid service is going to return if masks come off LMAO.

Are you still pretending the airlines didn't have mass cancellations due to Covid during the Omicron wave?

Who are you trying to fool with this?
Old Apr 18, 2022, 10:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by BradWI
They are effective. There is zero debate.
Your baseless assertion doesn't make it true. The facts are all studies show about 1% effectiveness or in several cases actually INVERSE effectiveness. You post this garbage you are getting pushback.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 10:56 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
I was hoping to get one more trip in before everyone started partying like it's 1999.

That said, it will be nice to see things getting back to normal.
The old normal is gone, long gone, there is a new normal. Adapt or die.

That said, it would really be nice if the western world would adopt the courtesy of wearing a mask when they are sick so not to spread the virus to other. Which is the normal in most/many Asian countries.
Auston, Jim31328, mrow and 2 others like this.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Apr 18, 2022 at 11:03 pm
Old Apr 18, 2022, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo
Your baseless assertion doesn't make it true. The facts are all studies show about 1% effectiveness or in several cases actually INVERSE effectiveness. You post this garbage you are getting pushback.
I would love to see a source for that statement.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
I don't think this has been posted yet:
News.Delta.com - Masks now optional for employees, customers following White House announcement Apr 18, 2022 8:15pm

Article includes this line of quackery:
Originally Posted by Dutch101
I can understand the move in response to the legal ruling, but the statement that Covid is "an ordinary seasonal virus" is unnecessary, clearly not based on medical science and puts people at further risk. Wonder who approved that language, and why go there?
Sure, Delta. "Seasonal virus" killing a thousand people a day.

Mask mandates will return soon enough as cases spike. The lost revenue from us intelligent science-trusting people (who tend to be more wealthy) will hurt airlines. The family of red hat-wearing hayseeds on their $39 Spirit fares don't matter as much as we do.
Putting aside the mask mandate, it’s hard to believe that Ed approved this nonsense in the PR.

It literally adds nothing to the statement, it wasn’t necessary at all — it just adds unneeded debate and politicization.

I hope an update is made tomorrow to remove this idiotic language
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 11:28 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Sure, Delta. "Seasonal virus" killing a thousand people a day.

Mask mandates will return soon enough as cases spike. The lost revenue from us intelligent science-trusting people (who tend to be more wealthy) will hurt airlines. The family of red hat-wearing hayseeds on their $39 Spirit fares don't matter as much as we do.
You're boycotting Delta because some people in red hats are flying without masks on Spirit?
Old Apr 19, 2022, 12:41 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by matchbox20_is
You know, I have no idea why this is a political topic. Can we all be careful when there's a pandemic and happy when it's over?

Is that so difficult?
I am reasonably certain you don't want this forum to answer that question ;-)

Originally Posted by DMPHL
I do feel bad for people who are traveling and have health risks, and their safety calculus was maybe upended mid-flight, or who have flights tomorrow, etc. Would have been good for people to have a day or so, even if I'm not against the end of the mandate. (Although I'll continue to mask).
Honestly, I think they should have announced they were pulling it tomorrow (and granted a one-time waiver for folks to cancel travel scheduled between now and the initially-announced expiration date in early May). I spoke with a friend (whole family has various conditions...parents are fairly old and have health complications, and the friend, though not nearly as old as they are [as biology generally dictates], also has sincere health concerns) and we agreed that the speed with which the airlines pulled this might well have caused some folks a bona fide panic attack. Given that folks scheduled travel with this as part of their calculus, pulling the mandate mid-flight is just a bit too much.

(I'd compare this with Disney World, which generally gave a few days' notice for this sort of thing.)

Honestly...I was writing this earlier and the thread got shut: I was expecting this to essentially come down tomorrow. I'm quite surprised at the speed with which the airlines pulled it, given some of these things. The fact that this was the last place said mandates were "sticking around" didn't hurt (and neither did lousy in-airport compliance), but it's still a bit shocking to see it play out quite so dramatically.
DMPHL and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 2:25 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I am reasonably certain you don't want this forum to answer that question ;-)

Honestly, I think they should have announced they were pulling it tomorrow (and granted a one-time waiver for folks to cancel travel scheduled between now and the initially-announced expiration date in early May). I spoke with a friend (whole family has various conditions...parents are fairly old and have health complications, and the friend, though not nearly as old as they are [as biology generally dictates], also has sincere health concerns) and we agreed that the speed with which the airlines pulled this might well have caused some folks a bona fide panic attack. Given that folks scheduled travel with this as part of their calculus, pulling the mandate mid-flight is just a bit too much.

(I'd compare this with Disney World, which generally gave a few days' notice for this sort of thing.)

Honestly...I was writing this earlier and the thread got shut: I was expecting this to essentially come down tomorrow. I'm quite surprised at the speed with which the airlines pulled it, given some of these things. The fact that this was the last place said mandates were "sticking around" didn't hurt (and neither did lousy in-airport compliance), but it's still a bit shocking to see it play out quite so dramatically.
Try 5+ hour to and from HNL, my ears did hurt A LOT. Ordered couple of extra drinks to be able to take it off for a while.
BigFishDave likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 2:30 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
The airlines didn't really have a choice. They get that the mask mandate isn't popular at this point in time, and that people want to get back to "normal". The mandate was going away in two week's time anyway. So yeah, we'll get a spike in numbers as everyone relaxes their guidelines, and then maybe they'll go back down for summer.

If you think about it, this is probably GREAT for business. Some folks probably don't want to fly because they don't relish the thought of wearing a mask for hours. Others will buy up to Delta One to get more separation. These are both passengers the airlines want to sell tickets to. They've been waiting for the world to be open for business.

Last edited by Goodoldflyer; Apr 19, 2022 at 2:45 am
Old Apr 19, 2022, 3:05 am

Programs: Blinged Out
They are effective. There is zero debate.
You are more than welcome to wear as many masks as you would like as often as you desire.
hockeystl, bosman, pgh234 and 14 others like this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
It's easy to identify those that haven't come out of this without some form of psychological scarring and I doubt they will ever give up masks or their crusade to radicalise others. But I guess they are intelligent, "the science says", types so what do us mortals know? I guess it's like lifers who are institutionalised and cannot adapt to the outside world when they are released. I don't think this genie will be easy to put back in the bottle.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 5:35 am

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Random question back to what i think the topic may be: I didn't read all of the upstream comments, but I assume flights operated by Endeavor Air, a wholly own Delta subsidiary, are also mask optional? I can't find any news on them at all and have a flight today with them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.