Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Closed Threads: DL Related COVID Mask Discussions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated Closed Threads: DL Related COVID Mask Discussions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:00 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Federal government will likely appeal for a stay, but ruling likely suggest the CDC won't extend it beyond next week anyway. I would expect Delta to continue to enforce the mandate for at leas today and tomorrow.

Whether it is a positive or negative remains to be seen. The CDC mandate covered all public transportation - I ride the subway several times a week, for example, and will continue to mask up there, and I think masking 100% makes sense on subways. Whether I will in planes, it depends on case counts at the time.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Federal government will likely appeal for a stay, but ruling likely suggest the CDC won't extend it beyond next week anyway. I would expect Delta to continue to enforce the mandate for at leas today and tomorrow.

Whether it is a positive or negative remains to be seen. The CDC mandate covered all public transportation - I ride the subway several times a week, for example, and will continue to mask up there, and I think masking 100% makes sense on subways. Whether I will in planes, it depends on case counts at the time.
I’m currently in ATL flying back to ANC. Will observe how things play out tonight and what (if anything) DL says on flights. Still seeing about 80% masked in the airport.

As much as I’d like to run through the airport throwing my mask in the air while shouting “Eureka!” I think I will let someone else test those waters for today.
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
As an airline pilot (though not for DL) I hope the masks are forever done with. We are tired of enforcing it and promoting safety theatre.

I have to disagree with you on the safety theatre thing. People don't have the sense to stay home when they're sick. So I've been less sick when I've flown over the last couple of years, and I attribute that to people masking up. The guy coughing up a lung next to me is doing it into his mask. Turns out that when people mask up and wash their hands, they get sick less. More importantly, I get sick less.

Yes, it's a pain. Yes, it works.

All of that said, yes, it's time to move on.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
So how much longer will you need a covid test to enter the U.S.?
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:13 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Masks will still be worn and required whether you're against it or not. And People wonder why cases go up and we repeat the cycle all over again whenever they ease any of the mandates.

Also, "struck down by a Federal Judge in Florida". Lol.

Must be a slow Monday for the press.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
I have to disagree with you on the safety theatre thing. People don't have the sense to stay home when they're sick. So I've been less sick when I've flown over the last couple of years, and I attribute that to people masking up. The guy coughing up a lung next to me is doing it into his mask. Turns out that when people mask up and wash their hands, they get sick less. More importantly, I get sick less.

Fair enough.

I agree that people in the past have not had the best sense to stay home when sick (myself included at some point I’m sure). But eliminating change fees has helped. It is reassuring to know that I can take a credit without taking a penalty out of the fare. I’m sure there are the infrequent flyers that will still fuss over non refundable fares and not want the credit. But that’s a risk we take when booking almost any type of ticket.

Masks are great when used in an appropriate setting (such as medical facilities) and by trained professionals in their use properties. For the average traveler with a cloth mask hanging down half the time, it’s a placebo effect in my opinion.

But I agree, time to move on. Sorry to derail the thread lol.
cmx, dmarge18 and Goodoldflyer like this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:16 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,

It would be great if airlines said "If you are sick, please wear a face covering for the benefit of fellow passengers and crew" and simply handed them out to coughers and such. I won't deny in the past I've flown with bad colds - now, if I can, I will reschedule, and if I can't, I will mask up
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:18 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Keep wearing your masks if you don't want Delta to have further increased flight delays and cancellations due to staff being out sick for your irrational decisions to not mask up.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle

I agree that ultimately it'll be up to people. I'm amazed how many people I still see not washing hands in airport bathrooms, or just not even attempting to cover their mouth.

I for one am certainly glad to hopefully (as soon as next week) not have to wear a mask for hours on end, but I'm assuming the biggest transition for me will be to go back to being angry at people for not washing hands/covering their mouths or for blowing their nose in the middle seat next to me (just have some simple respect people!) and not at the administration or FAs for calling everything a 'federal law' (they really need to watch Schoolhouse Rock or take a civics class).
SeeMeFly likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:21 pm

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Regardless of what DL chooses to enforce on a flight, it's now legal to go without a mask in a terminal?
ND76 and SSF556 like this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by matchbox20_is
Regardless of what DL chooses to enforce on a flight, it's now legal to go without a mask in a terminal?
Correct. The mandate has been ruled unlawful and vacated effective immediately:

"Because our system does not permit agencies to act unlawfully even in pursuit of desirable ends, the court declares unlawful and vacates the mask mandate"

So unless a local municipality has a mandate requiring a mask (which I believe might only apply to PHL right now) is would appear perfectly legal to be mask free. Now once you approach the gate to board a flight is a totally different story until airlines announce a formal change of policy.

Curious about more boots on the ground reports regarding what the scene looks like in airports now...
Old Apr 18, 2022, 2:03 pm
Formerly known as scootr29

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm expecting an appeal to be filed any minute.

AFAIK DL is free to make its own rules about whether passengers and/or crew must wear masks. My sense is that DL and other airlines don't like the mask mandate because enforcement can lead to delays and diversions (which are very costly) but crew might prefer that passengers wear masks and surveys seem to indicate that the majority of passengers would prefer that masks be required.
Those surveys are useless. Allowing FAs to not wear face masks and requiring passengers to wear them will create a situation no FA would want to be in.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 2:05 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Isn't it funny how originally, airlines were requiring masks and then they kept pushing the TSA to require them so they could shift the blame to someone else?

Now they're fighting to get the mandate removed?
Old Apr 18, 2022, 2:05 pm
Formerly known as scootr29

Originally Posted by hockeystl
Correct. The mandate has been ruled unlawful and vacated effective immediately:

"Because our system does not permit agencies to act unlawfully even in pursuit of desirable ends, the court declares unlawful and vacates the mask mandate"

So unless a local municipality has a mandate requiring a mask (which I believe might only apply to PHL right now) is would appear perfectly legal to be mask free. Now once you approach the gate to board a flight is a totally different story until airlines announce a formal change of policy.

Curious about more boots on the ground reports regarding what the scene looks like in airports now...
For what its worth I just spent about 30 minutes talking to 2 Delta people via the PM text. They both are aware of the mandate are awaiting guidance from Delta corporate. I expect flights tomorrow will be mask optional.
SeeMeFly likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 2:06 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
More informed legal arguments at this thread: Mask Mandate Struck Down

Seems it's not quite as clearcut as some would desire.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.