Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Closed Threads: DL Related COVID Mask Discussions

Consolidated Closed Threads: DL Related COVID Mask Discussions

Old May 10, 2021, 10:31 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, United Silver
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
Federal Enforcement ???

Under what law?
42 U.S.C. 264(a) and 42 CFR 70.2, 71.31(b), and 71.32(b)?

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...portation-hubs

--

If others can complain about masks, can I complain about not being able to light up in F on a long transcon or overseas flight? They do have that reminder about it and tampering with the smoke detectors every single time. Gets very old.
Old May 10, 2021, 10:44 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by KinBOS
If others can complain about masks, can I complain about not being able to light up in F on a long transcon or overseas flight? They do have that reminder about it and tampering with the smoke detectors every single time. Gets very old.
I don't understand these folks who keep their shirts and pants on for the entire flight. Can someone tell the daycare cops to lighten up?
Old May 10, 2021, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by BenA
Press X to Doubt. Seattle has been one of the most mask-conscious cities in the whole country, and mask compliance at SEA has been notably better than other airports I’ve visited. The lounge you visited certainly wouldn’t have been the Sky Club, where staff were being pretty conscientious about mask enforcement on my recent visits.
Yes, overall mask compliance at SEA has been better than other airports and overall the Seattle area is very mask-conscious, BUT there are many locations in the SEA area that are shockingly bad with mask wearing and there are some days at SEA where more people wear masks than others. The lady in front of me last week at the checkin counter was even arguing with the agent as to whether she had to wear a mask (I was surprised they allowed her to checkin - she was definitely the problem type that would cause a plane to divert). I have noticed that when I have flights departing from the B-gates, the mask wearing can be at pre-pandemic levels (maybe because Spirit departs from the B gates??). It all makes me glad I am vaccinated.
Old May 10, 2021, 11:16 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by MW147
I am flying tomorrow for the first time since the pandemic. I am fully vaccinated. I will admit that I am getting tired of being required to wear a mask as a fully vaccinated person, and I think the CDC is moving a bit slowly on relaxing the rules in general.

But I will absolutely follow the rules tomorrow and keep the mask on. Delta has the right to set and enforce their rules.
Could not agree more with this! As a fully vaccinated person, I do not fear those around me who may not be vaccinated. The science says I'm ok. All vulnerable populations have had access to vaccination for months now. The time to get rid of masks has arrived. I'll keep masking b/c that's the law, but I think it's a stupid law at this point.... if you want more people to get vaccinated, you gotta start giving out perks to those who get vaccinated. Stop punishing those of us who took COVID seriously and got vaccinated!
PS - Children don't really get sick from COVID. (Yes,there may be a small number of bad cases and deaths - but I can also dig up a few cases of the flu killing children)
MW147 and LWkitty like this.
Old May 10, 2021, 11:30 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Gold, National EC
Originally Posted by KinBOS
That raises an interesting thought. Does anyone think that there's a chance that mask mandates onboard aircraft are here to stay (like the prohibition on smoking)? The logic behind the two is similar ("Passenger A shouldn't have to be subjected to Passenger B's [smoking/infection]"), and COVID isn't the only disease that could be transmitted onboard an aircraft. (To be clear, I would strenuously object to this, but don't see it as being completely out of the question.)
Old May 10, 2021, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'm fine following the airline govt travel regulations and airline rules... while not directly related to this per se, what bugs me is when some FAs make up 'rules' on their own to try to get pax to comply. Those situations I have very little tolerance to listen to a fake 'rule'.
El Boocho and MSPeconomist like this.
Old May 10, 2021, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'm fine following the airline govt travel regulations and airline rules... while not directly related to this per se, what bugs me is when some FAs make up 'rules' on their own to try to get pax to comply. Those situations I have very little tolerance to listen to a fake 'rule'.
Old May 10, 2021, 11:39 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
I've seen the Mask Up sign on one segment. I want to say it was on SEA-DTW. I'm flying every week right now and I've found for the most part people are complying. I will say, the FA's seem less strict than they did when I had to travel back in March.
Last week, DTW-DCA, the pilot came out before leaving the gate and made an announcement telling people to comply and keep your mask on. Basically heading off any issues people would give to the FA's.

I am also fully vaccinated. Yes, the mask is a pain on long flights. With that said, there is no easy way for DL, or any airline, to track who has/has not been vaccinated. Instead it's easier to ask everyone to mask up. I think this is why the CDC has been hesitate to say vaccinated people don't need a mask. Then every store, restaurant, etc would have to figure this out. And there will be plenty of people who lie and say they're vaccinated just so they don't have to wear a mask.

Having been on a dozen flights in the past four weeks, and flying again this week, I can say the flight crews are thrilled to see full planes once again.
Gerbs and KinBOS like this.
Old May 10, 2021, 11:53 am

My SIL has been working in a COVID ICU for the past year and has countless stories of patients who flew with symptoms before needing to be hospitalized. She even had one patient with COVID and a family member visiting who had all the symptoms themself who mentioned they were flying later that day. Asked about their symptoms and flying they said they simply don’t care.

I’m vaccinated but happy to wear a mask for the time being. The case numbers are still high and I’d rather not needlessly expose myself just because a mask can sometimes be uncomfortable.
mot29, pilot007, Zeeb and 2 others like this.
Old May 10, 2021, 11:56 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
I am also fully vaccinated. Yes, the mask is a pain on long flights. With that said, there is no easy way for DL, or any airline, to track who has/has not been vaccinated. Instead it's easier to ask everyone to mask up. I think this is why the CDC has been hesitate to say vaccinated people don't need a mask. Then every store, restaurant, etc would have to figure this out. And there will be plenty of people who lie and say they're vaccinated just so they don't have to wear a mask.
But here's the situation.... if you choose not to be vaccinated and don't mask up and get covid.... that's on you - you can only do so much to try to convince people.

PS - Like I said earlier, I am totally ok being in a room with non vaccinated folks as I am vaccinated. At some point, we'll have to move on and get back to normality...
Old May 10, 2021, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by boeingATL
Was on a transcon today. Twice the lead FA came on and said they had seen several who were not following protocols and keeping masks on, except to eat or drink. Next, FA's came down the aisles with a plastic covered poster reminding all to mask-up.

Don't think anyone was arrested and we didn't divert.

Anyone experience this. IMHO it was kind of weird.
I don't understand the bolded part. Was that a sign they made themselves with all the time they have sitting around in the galley since they aren't actually serving anything inflight or is this something Delta provides them with?
Old May 10, 2021, 12:23 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
In January I thought my whole family was going to be thrown off the flight over masks. We sat down and a very aggressive FA started demanding my daughter put on a mask. I refused because she was only 1 year old at the time (she's big and turned 2 the following week). She said she didn't believe me but we showed her my daughter's passport and she marched off in a huff. I was waiting for her to come back and throw us off for disobedience, even though we did absolutely nothing wrong, but she just ignored us the rest of the flight. Meanwhile a woman in the row directly behind us was wearing a lace mask. It literally looked like a piece of fish net tied around her face and the FA didn't question it.

Edit: Should add that this was on AA, because I believe at the time Delta's mask mandate exempted young children.

Last edited by Billy Mumphrey; May 10, 2021 at 12:33 pm
Old May 10, 2021, 12:59 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
I’m vaccinated but happy to wear a mask for the time being. The case numbers are still high and I’d rather not needlessly expose myself just because a mask can sometimes be uncomfortable.
'

You know, this us ultimately the issue. I too am fully-vaccinated. But that doesn't make me bullet-proof to COVID. Inherent in a vaccine with 95% efficacy is the fact that it may prove ineffective in the remaining 5% of cases. Who knows, I could be one of the unlucky 5%. Like you, I see no need to risk it just because someone else is annoyed at having to wear a mask in an enclosed space filled with pax for a few hours.

M
Old May 10, 2021, 1:01 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Also while the mRNA vaccine I got seems to be holding up well against current large scale variants, my stupid state seems to be trying to breed even more new ones, some of which may evade vaccines before anyone really realizes they're there.
Old May 10, 2021, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
I got news for you, buddy.

All rules are "made up"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.