Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Email Refunding Ticket I didn't ask to be refunded

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2020, 9:37 am
Original Poster

I got an email yesterday from Delta entitled "FW: Your Delta Refund Confirmation is Enclosed." Original email was sent from [email protected] to [email protected]. The email says they have refunded my entire ticket price of $299.18.

Now the confusion.

This is one ticket in a two ticket itinerary in October on Westjet codeshare from LAX to YVR. I have been waiting for the border closure to be extended so that I could get my money back instead of an e-credit.

The itinerary still shows up on delta website with both of our ticket numbers and both of our seat assignments. I wouldn't expect the credit card credit for a couple of weeks.

Who is "wecare" at delta.com?

Has this happened to anyone else? I am planning on just waiting until credit shows up on credit card to call and say where is the rest of the money; or, if money never shows up, call when border closure is extended.

To me, this looks like a classic SNAFU.

thanks for any help,

Marc
Old Aug 11, 2020, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Has a flight on the ticket been cancelled with no obvious substitute flight available?
Old Aug 11, 2020, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Has a flight on the ticket been cancelled with no obvious substitute flight available?
No it is a non-stop one way ticket. Westjet still has the flight and Delta has the flight. The itinerary is still in my list of trips. Crazy thing is that they say they just refunded my ticket and not my wife's yet both of us still show up in the itinerary. I think I am just going to wait to see if they credit card credit really comes through and then contact Customer Care.

Marc
Old Aug 11, 2020, 4:26 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd try to call DL now if you want to fly the ticket. Otherwise you risk (very slight chance these days) that the flight could be sold out when you try to reinstate it if it's really been cancelled.

Seeing the reservation on your itinerary doesn't necessarily mean that you have a ticket. You might want to try checking on the status of the ticket, by using the ticket number and passenger name, on the Saudia website.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 4:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Call. Sooner rather than later. You need both a ticket & a reservation and you almost certainly do not -- or shortly will not -- have a ticket.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

But I will be eventually be canceling this itinerary; I am hoping Delta cancels or modifies significantly modifies first.

In the meantime I will check the Saudia site.

thanks,

Marc

edited to add: Here is paste from Saudia site;

E-ticket document:
006-2409207xxx
Booking reference:
-
Trip status:
Confirmed
Passenger:
MARQ
Issuing agent:
Issue date:
09 December 2019
Issue place:
LAX

FLIGHT DETAILS

Date:
Monday 05 October 2020
Paid
Fare basis:
ZAUJA0FT
Coupon status:
Refund
Baggage's:
2 Pieces
Fare class:
Z

Still shows trip status confirmed; status paid; coupon status REFUND. I will check again tomorrow.

edited further to add: Wife's information is the same except her coupon status says Airport Control

Last edited by Marq; Aug 11, 2020 at 4:57 pm
Old Aug 12, 2020, 2:52 pm

This happened to me and took a while to sort out. I called in and many people were baffled as to why my ticket was unilaterally refunded with no request on my part and no flight change. Much better to deal with ahead of time than at T-24 when you try to check in.
MSPeconomist and Revelate like this.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Marq
Still shows trip status confirmed; status paid; coupon status REFUND. I will check again tomorrow.

edited further to add: Wife's information is the same except her coupon status says Airport Control
With a coupon status of REFUND, this was definitely processed through the system - if you tried to check in for this flight, you would be denied, I suspect.

I think this is probably your golden opportunity to call in and say "look, you already refunded one of these, can you finish the job", without waiting for a schedule change. I do agree that waiting a few days for the money to post probably makes it more of a sure bet. Waiting until at least Sunday would give you a "Schedule Change Saturday" in case your refund is a previous of an impending cancellation, too.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 7:59 pm

I have had a few odd ones lately (I think they all involved Westjet):

- I had several Skymiles reservations just disappear from Mytrips due to the flight being cancelled. Didn't get an email or anything. I write them down in a different location and had to manually find the reservation and cancel.

- Delta cancelled a Skymiles flight reservation and then issued me an ecredit that expires in 1 year instead of just refunding the miles.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by kaw753
I have had a few odd ones lately (I think they all involved Westjet):

- I had several Skymiles reservations just disappear from Mytrips due to the flight being cancelled. Didn't get an email or anything. I write them down in a different location and had to manually find the reservation and cancel.

- Delta cancelled a Skymiles flight reservation and then issued me an ecredit that expires in 1 year instead of just refunding the miles.
Did you use play with miles or was it a genuine award ticket? For a real award ticket, there's no obvious price to turn into a voucher, although perhaps the fees on cancelled award tickets become vouchers rather than refunds, especially if you pick one of the nonrefundable "very low" tickets (which I'm not sure DL is still offering during the pandemic).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.