Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat poaching in the COVID era

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2020, 5:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Really depends on how big a deal the move to the other seat is to determine whether it's worth the hassle of having the squatter removed and then cleaning the seat area.

Under no circumstances would I sit down in a seat which had recently been occupied without wiping it, the armrests and table, if it had been used, myself.
I thoroughly clean any seat I sit in and everything around with several Lysol or alcohol wipes, even before covid. And use a seat pad.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 7:10 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
This happened to me last week on a United 767-300 Polaris-fitted flight. I picked window 5L because it was away from the aisle And next to the window. I purposely boarded towards the end and there is a lady in my seat who looks like she moved in for the weekend on a 3 hour flight. She covered the seat, she was in a makeshift hazmat suit, had wipes and snacks all around as well as her gadgets. I was more shocked at the extent she spread out as opposed to wondering whether or not she made a mistake. It clearly said 5L over here seat but she shrugged and just said “do you want me to move?” Since I was one of the last folks to board I just sucked it up and proceeded to wipe down my new seat/screen and got settled. I did tell her that in the future, she should double check she had the right seat before she “moved in.” All in all, it was still a flatbed Polaris seat and the flight was fine but sometimes a little more consideration and awareness can make the flying experience easier for all of us.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TechMarauder
This happened to me last week on a United 767-300 Polaris-fitted flight. I picked window 5L because it was away from the aisle And next to the window. I purposely boarded towards the end and there is a lady in my seat who looks like she moved in for the weekend on a 3 hour flight. She covered the seat, she was in a makeshift hazmat suit, had wipes and snacks all around as well as her gadgets. I was more shocked at the extent she spread out as opposed to wondering whether or not she made a mistake. It clearly said 5L over here seat but she shrugged and just said “do you want me to move?” Since I was one of the last folks to board I just sucked it up and proceeded to wipe down my new seat/screen and got settled. I did tell her that in the future, she should double check she had the right seat before she “moved in.” All in all, it was still a flatbed Polaris seat and the flight was fine but sometimes a little more consideration and awareness can make the flying experience easier for all of us.
When you allow seat poachers to keep your seat, you just encourage them to continue this misbehavior.
Spiff, SNAGuy, ijgordon and 10 others like this.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Seat poachers get no quarter.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 11:48 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Funny, because the more settled they are into their poached seat, the more enjoyment I'd get insisting on them moving. "Don't forget your carry-on in the overhead bin!"
Old Aug 12, 2020, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I tend to select my seats very specifically and I'm very particular about where I sit. If someone is in the seat I selected and there isn't an identical seat available, you'd better believe they're going to be sent packing no matter how settled in they are or how close to departure the flight is.
Spiff, SNAGuy, hockeystl and 6 others like this.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Gig103
Funny, because the more settled they are into their poached seat, the more enjoyment I'd get insisting on them moving. "Don't forget your carry-on in the overhead bin!"
You dag gone skippy 😀 I have several flights coming up in comfort and first class. I'll be prepared to tell them they need to get to stepping, and "don't forget your carry-on"🤣
AANYC1981 and Intl359Widget like this.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
You dag gone skippy 😀 I have several flights coming up in comfort and first class. I'll be prepared to tell them they need to get to stepping, and "don't forget your carry-on"🤣
Seat Poaching is one of my travel pet peeves so I make sure to claim my territories accordingly if I choose a specific seat. However if I get upgraded at the gate then I have no choice in my seat choice but it’s annoying to see someone try to poach a seat that I was just upgraded into.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
This happens on AA 737 in F frequently. First row is row 3, unless a recently remoded 737, then it's row 1. Thus it's very frequent to see people in wrong seats. Cant say I've seen anyone think anything of it.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 11:16 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Plat, National Executive
For me, it's a real simple solution - show me your boarding pass. Because I 100% guarantee you're a liar because mine shows me in this seat. Want to argue? Take it up with the FA. Get up and out, bye Felicia.

When I'm traveling, I have a marginal amount of patience and I'm not going to waste any of it on ridiculous poachers.
Silver Fox, AKC6, rickg523 and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 11:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by charlesdemar
For me, it's a real simple solution - show me your boarding pass. Because I 100% guarantee you're a liar because mine shows me in this seat. Want to argue? Take it up with the FA. Get up and out, bye Felicia.

When I'm traveling, I have a marginal amount of patience and I'm not going to waste any of it on ridiculous poachers.
Sometimes it's better to get a FA in the beginning. Strictly speaking, the other person (in your seat) isn't obligated to show a boarding pass to a random stranger (versus an airline employee , TYSA employee, or other airport/government official).
Old Aug 13, 2020, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Sometimes it's better to get a FA in the beginning. Strictly speaking, the other person (in your seat) isn't obligated to show a boarding pass to a random stranger (versus an airline employee , TYSA employee, or other airport/government official).
I ask and don't argue the point. If refused, I simply show my boarding pass to the FA while standing in the aisle at my row and let nature take its course.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 11:28 am

I don't ask for your boarding pass. I just hit the call button and step aside. I let the FA deal with the poachers.

Of course my all time favorite was the poacher who stole my exit row LHR to ATL seat and then proceeded to act like a spoiled 5 year old to the FA "DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH MONEY I SPEND ON THIS AIRLINE" etc.... FA walks away with both of our boarding passes. Comes back in a few minutes, hands me a new pass and smiles. Opps! I am now in BE and Mr "DYKWIA" is in coach... Thanks for your act sir, it really helped me out!
Old Aug 13, 2020, 11:37 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Plat, National Executive
Originally Posted by rickg523
I ask and don't argue the point. If refused, I simply show my boarding pass to the FA while standing in the aisle at my row and let nature take its course.
This. I'll be polite and show you my boarding pass (as I know I'm in the right) and give you the chance to move or prove me wrong. The if necessary, I'll just escalate it up and let the authority on the plane make an uncomfortable spectacle for the poacher.

I used to be much more meek about it all when I started business travel some 23 years ago, but, nope, done with it all at this point. Cranky old man, I've become!
Old Aug 13, 2020, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This. I'll be polite and show you my boarding pass (as I know I'm in the right) and give you the chance to move or prove me wrong. The if necessary, I'll just escalate it up and let the authority on the plane make an uncomfortable spectacle for the poacher.

I used to be much more meek about it all when I started business travel some 23 years ago, but, nope, done with it all at this point. Cranky old man, I've become!
​​​​​​Wanting to sit in the seat you selected and were assigned rather than middle of the last row isn't what I call being cranky. Because no one poaches your seat because it's worse than theirs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.