Delta AMEX cards

Old Aug 10, 20, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Delta AMEX cards

So my Reserve annual fee hit last night. Forgot it went to 550/yr up from 450. Since I am not traveling via air right now decided to call in and downgrade the card and hope to see what they offer.

Here is the offer:
1) 100 dollars credit in 12 weeks
2) we can't guarantee that when you want to re-upgrade the reserve will still be on your account and you might have to reapply with a credit check.

My reply was if you sweeten the 100 to 250 I would be interested. They said thats not possible as its computer generated. No problem, Gold Delta here I come.
Old Aug 10, 20, 11:20 am

Programs: DL Medallion
Originally Posted by met19 View Post
So my Reserve annual fee hit last night. Forgot it went to 550/yr up from 450. Since I am not traveling via air right now decided to call in and downgrade the card and hope to see what they offer.

Here is the offer:
1) 100 dollars credit in 12 weeks
2) we can't guarantee that when you want to re-upgrade the reserve will still be on your account and you might have to reapply with a credit check.

My reply was if you sweeten the 100 to 250 I would be interested. They said thats not possible as its computer generated. No problem, Gold Delta here I come.
Isn't virtually everyone (all?) getting a $100 credit by default without calling? The notifications appear to be staggered, but I don't believe you need to call for it.
Old Aug 10, 20, 11:35 am

Programs: DL MM & DM; Marriott, AmEx, Chase, Cap1
That's what I was offered as well. I declined and closed my card.
Old Aug 10, 20, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL GM, Bonvoy Gold
I called back in May and received 50,000 SM for not canceling my card. This was worth it to me, along with the temporary benefits they've added.
Old Aug 10, 20, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel View Post
I called back in May and received 50,000 SM for not canceling my card. This was worth it to me, along with the temporary benefits they've added.
I agree, that might be something worth trying to get.
Old Aug 10, 20, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I got a $50 credit on my Delta AMEX Plat without crediting. Hit a few days after the annual fee hit so credit went against the annual fee (and combined with the refund of some concert tickets from a canceled event netted everything out to $0).

Helps that the companion pass is available for us to use for a trip to SFO next June (rescheduled wedding, assuming we can go by then, etc., etc., etc.) which saves me another $500.
Old Aug 10, 20, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Originally Posted by dcadwell View Post
Isn't virtually everyone (all?) getting a $100 credit by default without calling? The notifications appear to be staggered, but I don't believe you need to call for it.
I think it depends on your renewal date.

Some additional data points in the later pages of Amex Delta Changes & New Benefit Changes.

Other somewhat related thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...avel-halt.html
Old Aug 10, 20, 3:17 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver Premier, IHG Platinum
I just called today to cancel as my renewal is in September. I received 60k miles and the $100 credit. I accepted.
SeaHawg likes this.
Old Aug 10, 20, 7:04 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
My offer in April was 50k SkyMiles. I took it.
Old Aug 10, 20, 10:23 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I would downgrade to Gold or Plat. When travel picks up, upgrade. They won't have to run your credit but the annual fee will hit immediately. I did this with the Platinum. I waited until the Companion Certificate hit my account, used it, and then called to have them downgrade my card.
I'm not interested in paying for benefits I am not getting. All my spend is the AMEX gold since I get 4x at grocery stores (which is probably our biggest expense).
Old Aug 11, 20, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I called when 550 renewal posted with no credit and got a similar response. $100 SC showed up a while later.

As long as I actually get to use the companion cert before it expires then it's worth the AF for me.
Old Aug 11, 20, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by findark View Post
I called when 550 renewal posted with no credit and got a similar response. $100 SC showed up a while later.

As long as I actually get to use the companion cert before it expires then it's worth the AF for me.
Agree. My 2020 pushed to early 2021, so still a potential there. Crazy how much stuff is sitting in my "wallet" right now.
Old Aug 12, 20, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Agree. My 2020 pushed to early 2021, so still a potential there. Crazy how much stuff is sitting in my "wallet" right now.
I also may have.... a few DL GCs from that Costco sale last Christmas still waiting to be used

Search this Thread
Search Engine: