Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL TATL schedule sustainable?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2020, 7:54 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Cargo, plus there are a bunch of people with international marriages (or children with different citizenship), dual citizenship, or citizenship and permanent residence on opposite sides of the Atlantic. Other categories that can travel freely include anyone in any sort of diplomatic post plus family, all employees of international organizations plus family, military plus family, and then those traveling for health care, first responder, or other essential work.
I talked to a lot of people on my flights and most travelers were dual citizens, US citizens with a permanent residence in the EU, or mixed citizenship marriages. I didn't encounter anyone in any of the "other categories" you mentioned, which is probably quite rare, but there were several US citizen travelers en route to Croatia and Turkey (I didn't investigate it, but it seems US citizens are allowed to enter these countries for tourist purposes). AMS/CDG layovers are fine as long as you'll be admitted to your final destination.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by liquidtoast
I myself fall into the dual citizenship category, but am finding it hard to believe that there are really that many people who are able (or willing to) travel at the moment. I'm glad to see so many links restored though, so that those who need or want to travel have choices again. They must really be moving a lot of cargo.

Anecdotally, a good friend recently travelled YYZ-AMS and CDG-YYZ on KL and AF and while the outbound was fairly busy, the return in particular was wiped. I suppose a lot of Canadians must not be making use of their ability to enter the EU - perhaps the quarantine on return is a deterrent.
Personally, since I'm working from home anyway and living where restaurants are limited in what they can do now (and no way would I try to go to a bar or potentially crowded event of any sort now), I'd be very happy to take a trip someplace interesting (with no testing or quarantine requirements, although masks and limited opening would be OK--in fact, I'd prefer a place where masks are required and actually worn) and then self quarantine upon my return. Unfortunately I'm a few hundred miles on the wrong side of the border to be able to do this.
kyushuman likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 9:27 am

Personally, since I'm working from home anyway and living where restaurants are limited in what they can do now (and no way would I try to go to a bar or potentially crowded event of any sort now), I'd be very happy to take a trip someplace interesting (with no testing or quarantine requirements, although masks and limited opening would be OK--in fact, I'd prefer a place where masks are required and actually worn) and then self quarantine upon my return. Unfortunately I'm a few hundred miles on the wrong side of the border to be able to do this.
Sounds like Turkey would fit that bill. I spent 2 weeks in Sweden and there were no testing or quarantine requirements, however mask use there is basically non-existent (I think I saw maybe 2 or 3 people wearing masks the entire trip, and only in downtown Stockholm). Very interesting to see how different their approach is. Just finished my 2-week quarantine back in the US, and it's actually pretty easy to isolate in your own home when everything is closed, restricted, or cancelled!
Old Aug 10, 2020, 11:28 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
I have been trying to get a seat assignment on a TATL flight from MSP to AMS in October; called the platinum line, was advised that schedule changes are pending and to wait until the end of the week. This was after I got re-scheduled from the MSP AMS flight on KLM to a Delta flight. Looks like TATL schedules are still very fluid, even as close in as 6 weeks.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 11:42 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, Marriott, Hertz, National, Chic-fil-A
The AMS base has a wide catchment area for pretty much all of Europe which eliminates the need for point-to-point services to say, DUS, EDI, DUB, etc. that would have otherwise existed. All of those passengers just take a 1x connection (or just ride a train from many points in central Europe) to AMS to catch their TATL.

I wonder if DL has modified the cabins of the 777s somewhat to more easily load and secure cargo. After all, those seats are useless now and will never be used in the a/c again and can either be removed, stored or sold off. Did they remove them and create loading positions for small pallets? I am not sure if Euro pallets or mini pallets can fit through the main passenger entry doors but it would be interesting to see.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by GlobeTrttr83
The AMS base has a wide catchment area for pretty much all of Europe which eliminates the need for point-to-point services to say, DUS, EDI, DUB, etc. that would have otherwise existed. All of those passengers just take a 1x connection (or just ride a train from many points in central Europe) to AMS to catch their TATL.
The issue with using AMS or CDG however is that it will be a 2-stop connection for many US cities since AMS or CDG only has nonstops to about 16-18 US cities (and that was pre-Covid). A coastal gateway like JFK or ATL provides a lot more US cities with one-stop service (even JFK, which doesn’t have that many domestic connections, could provide one stop connections from close to 50 US domestic cities).

It’s the same situation on the TPAC side as they still need SEA and LAX to provide one-stop connections from many US points to key Asia markets rather than totally relying on KE’s ICN hub.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
The issue with using AMS or CDG however is that it will be a 2-stop connection for many US cities since AMS or CDG only has nonstops to about 16-18 US cities (and that was pre-Covid). A coastal gateway like JFK or ATL provides a lot more US cities with one-stop service (even JFK, which doesn’t have that many domestic connections, could provide one stop connections from close to 50 US domestic cities).

It’s the same situation on the TPAC side as they still need SEA and LAX to provide one-stop connections from many US points to key Asia markets rather than totally relying on KE’s ICN hub.
This model only works when the total demand for US-EU (or US-APAC) travel is greater than a few thousand passengers a day which is what it is today. When I say a few thousand passengers, I don't mean for Delta, or for one specific destination city. I mean literally the entire demand of US-EU travel across all carriers. So, until that changes, those secondary routes are gone. And yes, that means two stops for a lot of routes.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 1:03 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by drminn
I have been trying to get a seat assignment on a TATL flight from MSP to AMS in October; called the platinum line, was advised that schedule changes are pending and to wait until the end of the week. This was after I got re-scheduled from the MSP AMS flight on KLM to a Delta flight. Looks like TATL schedules are still very fluid, even as close in as 6 weeks.
Are longhaul international flights back to MSP? They weren't one of the dozen or so USA airports with medical screening to be able to handle passengers from most places due to COVID-19.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Are longhaul international flights back to MSP? They weren't one of the dozen or so USA airports with medical screening to be able to handle passengers from most places due to COVID-19.
Apparently they are, I asked the DL agent. I'll take his answer with a grain of salt though, he didn't sound very convincing.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 8:46 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
DL made changes to the winter 2020-21 schedules and summer 2021 schedules for TATL this past weekend. Of course both will change about 500 or more times each from now till then, but it’s still interesting to see where DL’s priorities lie and what they consider important in the network and which areas they think traffic will return first:

For summer 2021 TATL (Europe/Africa/Israel/India) compared to summer 2020 schedule:

JFK: 5 of 27 nonstop routes suspended:
Suspended: SNN, GLA, CPH, PRG, BOM
Planned for S21: LHR, EDI, DUB, AMS, BRU, CDG, NCE, FRA, BER, ZRH, MXP, VCE, FCO, ATH, MAD, BCN,
LIS, KEF, TLV, DSS, ACC, LOS.

ATL: 5 of 17 nonstop routes suspended
Suspended: MXP, VCE, BRU, ZRH, DUS
Planned for S21: LHR, DUB, AMS, CDG, FRA, MUC, STR, FCO, MAD, BCN, LOS, JNB/CPT

DTW: 2 of 6 nonstop routes suspended
Suspended: MUC, FCO
Planned for S21: LHR, AMS, CDG, FRA

MSP: 1 of 4 nonstop routes suspended
Suspended: KEF
Planned for S21: LHR, AMS, CDG

BOS: 5 of 9 nonstop routes suspended
Suspended: LGW*, MAN*, EDI, LIS, FCO*
Planned for S21: LHR, DUB, AMS, CDG
*never even got to start as they were new for 2020

SEA: no drops, AMS and CDG still planned

SLC: only keeping AMS; CDG and LHR dropped

LAX: keeping CDG but dropping AMS

PDX: keeping AMS but dropping LHR

RDU-CDG: still planned for S21

CVG-CDG: still planned for S21

IND-CDG, MCO-AMS, TPA-AMS: all suspended right now for S21

So in total out of 76 nonstop routes across the Atlantic, they are keeping 52 so far for S21, which would be considered the peak of their TATL network for 2021.
Excellent summary - thank you!

I was under the impression that JFK-BOM non-stop will resume starting December 2020...it is a lucrative route I’d imagine.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Silver, LH M&M, BAEC
DL made changes to the winter 2020-21 schedules and summer 2021 schedules for TATL this past weekend. Of course both will change about 500 or more times each from now till then, but it’s still interesting to see where DL’s priorities lie and what they consider important in the network and which areas they think traffic will return first:

For summer 2021 TATL (Europe/Africa/Israel/India) compared to summer 2020 schedule:

JFK: 5 of 27 nonstop routes suspended:
Suspended: SNN, GLA, CPH, PRG, BOM
Planned for S21: LHR, EDI, DUB, AMS, BRU, CDG, NCE, FRA, BER, ZRH, MXP, VCE, FCO, ATH, MAD, BCN,
LIS, KEF, TLV, DSS, ACC, LOS.

ATL: 5 of 17 nonstop routes suspended
Suspended: MXP, VCE, BRU, ZRH, DUS
Planned for S21: LHR, DUB, AMS, CDG, FRA, MUC, STR, FCO, MAD, BCN, LOS, JNB/CPT

DTW: 2 of 6 nonstop routes suspended
Suspended: MUC, FCO
Planned for S21: LHR, AMS, CDG, FRA

MSP: 1 of 4 nonstop routes suspended
Suspended: KEF
Planned for S21: LHR, AMS, CDG

BOS: 5 of 9 nonstop routes suspended
Suspended: LGW*, MAN*, EDI, LIS, FCO*
Planned for S21: LHR, DUB, AMS, CDG
*never even got to start as they were new for 2020

SEA: no drops, AMS and CDG still planned

SLC: only keeping AMS; CDG and LHR dropped

LAX: keeping CDG but dropping AMS

PDX: keeping AMS but dropping LHR

RDU-CDG: still planned for S21

CVG-CDG: still planned for S21

IND-CDG, MCO-AMS, TPA-AMS: all suspended right now for S21

So in total out of 76 nonstop routes across the Atlantic, they are keeping 52 so far for S21, which would be considered the peak of their TATL network for 2021.
Wow, thank you. Really sad to see some of these losses, especially routes like DTW-FCO from the old NW days. Interesting that ATL kept STR but not DUS, must be those corporate contracts.

What a shame to see so much expansion undone.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drminn
Apparently they are, I asked the DL agent. I'll take his answer with a grain of salt though, he didn't sound very convincing.
DL restart of MSP-AMS route has been pushed back to April 1st, 2021. KL flight is still in schedule at 4x weekly starting on October 25th.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 6:48 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
No, they are not. The only international routes from any carrier seem to be to Winnipeg and Canada which I assume are exempted on account of being Canadian (and with pre-clearance facilities).

Of course, the idea that COVID-19 screening at the border is necessary or value adding at all given how endemic it is in the US is laughable.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by xliioper
DL restart of MSP-AMS route has been pushed back to April 1st, 2021. KL flight is still in schedule at 4x weekly starting on October 25th.
I wouldn't count on the KL flight. They have only released their real schedule through October 24, which is why the flight still appears beginning the following day. I think MSP would have to start supporting health screenings before it could handle these flights.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by liquidtoast
Wow, thank you. Really sad to see some of these losses, especially routes like DTW-FCO from the old NW days. Interesting that ATL kept STR but not DUS, must be those corporate contracts.

What a shame to see so much expansion undone.
Stuttgart has always been a big business route and extremely profitable from back in the PMNW days from DTW. Ford had a contract for a daily (weekdays?) charter nonstop on a 757 outfitted with about 50 business class seats which anyone in the company preferred to flying commercial, even in IFC back then. The charter was supposedly filled every day according to a priority list of how high in the company the passenger was. I suspect that some consultants were also allowed to take the charter service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.