Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Virgin Atlantic files for bankruptcy-- Chapter 15

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Atlantic files for bankruptcy-- Chapter 15

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2020, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by 247traveler
I'm still waiting for $500+ worth of taxes/fees refund from two award flight cancellations in June 2020. Does that make me a US creditor? Does Chapter 15 mean that VS is released from responsibility to refund?
You're an unsecured creditor now, and a low priority one at that. Expect unsecured creditors to get wiped out in a reorganization.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 7:09 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by Collierkr
Had he managed his company better he wouldn’t have to do any of this. Instead he wants to make sure he doesn’t pay for any of the downside his company is experiencing.
Is that a joke? No business is prepared to handle a loss of 90+% of it's revenue for a sustained period (years). There will be many more airline bankruptcies before all is said and done.
wrp96, Newman55, ab2013 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 7:13 am

Programs: n/a
What does this mean for people with upcoming ANA F/J award travels assuming travel restrictions are lifted in 2021?
Should I be worried about my potential March chicago to tokyo flight
Old Aug 5, 2020, 7:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by 247traveler
I'm still waiting for $500+ worth of taxes/fees refund from two award flight cancellations in June 2020. Does that make me a US creditor? Does Chapter 15 mean that VS is released from responsibility to refund?
If you charged these on a credit card, initiate a chargeback with your credit card issuer for service not rendered (you may need to provide documentation of the flight cancellation). In the event the fees are finally refunded to your credit card by the airline, your credit card will reverse the chargeback (so it's not like you get free money).

Credit card processing companies closely monitor merchant's financials and are notorious for "holding back" funds from struggling airlines to cover chargebacks in case of liquidation.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by br0wntown
What does this mean for people with upcoming ANA F/J award travels assuming travel restrictions are lifted in 2021?
Should I be worried about my potential March chicago to tokyo flight
Nothing. This is a nothingburger at this point in time. The point of this filing is to protect US assets from being seized while the already announced $1.6B rescue package in the UK is finalized. This is to prevent another creditor suing in a US court for the US assets in the interim. This is just part of the process.

I also have NH F flights for March 20201 -- I'm far more worried about not going due to ongoing COVID issue than I am about this filing having an impact.

Seth's explainer post is spot on:

https://blog.wandr.me/2020/08/virgin...doesnt-matter/
Old Aug 5, 2020, 8:49 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Who wants and can buy lots of airline assets now, even really cheap? They' re not planning to dissolve the company, only reorganize (hopefully). My guess is that the main role of a Chapter 15 filing is to prevent anyone from seizing or impounding any assets that might be permanently or temporarily located in the USA while bankruptcy details are worked out elsewhere.

BTW, does anyone know whether VS owns or leases its aircraft? Do they have any Boeing or Airbus orders (production slots) that could be of any value to another carrier?
I would expect that for any airline bankruptcy at this point, planes and production slots are basically worthless. Far too much supply for little-to-no demand (if oil doubles in real terms, there might be demand...).

Quite the conundrum for a creditor: a reorg with little/no operational change as in previous airline bankruptcies isn't viable with reasonable amounts of DIP funding but neither is a liquidation. Optimal approach is probably to reorg into a skeleton for a few years and maybe defer liquidation.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 9:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
You're an unsecured creditor now, and a low priority one at that. Expect unsecured creditors to get wiped out in a reorganization.
Not if you manage to fight through a credit card chargeback - credit card chargebacks are first funded by the acquirer bank. The bankcruptcy filing is not protecting these holdbacks for the airline, which the acquirer bank has set aside.
Often1 and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just received this email:

Hello TomMM,

You may have seen headlines today regarding Virgin Atlantic’s Chapter 15 filing. I wanted to contact you to provide some more context, make sure you have all the information, and to reassure you that if you hold a booking with us, it’s safe.

Firstly, all our scheduled flights continue as normal. All upcoming flight and holiday bookings remain valid; Flying Club members can continue to earn and redeem their miles as usual; customers with cancellations can continue to make changes or request refunds, which are being processed; and our amazing people are ready to ensure you Fly Safe and Fly Well.

As announced on 14 July, we have taken a big step forward in securing our future, by launching a court backed process as part of a solvent recapitalisation of the airline and holiday business. The Chapter 15 filing in the United States is a procedural application to allow the US courts to recognise the restructuring process we are undertaking – in this case, the solvent recapitalisation of the airline under English law. Once approved and implemented, our plan will keep Virgin Atlantic flying.

For some independent analysis of what it means in practice, you can read this God Save The Points article.
Thanks again for all your support. We look forward to welcoming you onboard soon.

Oli Byers
Senior Vice President Customer Loyalty | Virgin Atlantic
Old Aug 7, 2020, 7:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TomMM
Just received this email:
I'm shocked that a VS executive, in official correspondence to customers, would send people to a points and miles blog.
HDQDD, itsabravenewworld and ryw like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.