Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

No no, please, let me pay more to sit in coach (Consolidated Pricing Oddities Thread)

No no, please, let me pay more to sit in coach (Consolidated Pricing Oddities Thread)

Old Nov 2, 2022, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NuclearTumbleweed
For a recent work trip from home-ATL-LAX and back, I was similarly lucky with domestic first being cheaper than C+, but work policy didn't allow the upgrade even though it was cheaper .
In that situation you can call DL after its ticketed via your company (presumably via AMEX GBT) and ask DL to upfare you to F. If it costs more you can pay out of your own pocket and if its less or an even exchange DL can make that change
kthomas, rt23456p and WidgetPlanes like this.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by Duke787
In that situation you can call DL after its ticketed via your company (presumably via AMEX GBT) and ask DL to upfare you to F. If it costs more you can pay out of your own pocket and if its less or an even exchange DL can make that change
That's good to know for the future. Thanks!
kthomas likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 12:40 pm

Delta PS pricing seems to be crazy high compared to other carriers, at least from ATL. Looking for flights to FCO from ATL this Spring and typical PS is around $3,500+ D1 around $5k and Coach around $1,500. Seems out of line for PS to be more than twice Coach.

Can easily find business class on other airlines for around $4k, albeit with an additional stop.
lindros2 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by donjc451
Delta PS pricing seems to be crazy high compared to other carriers, at least from ATL. Looking for flights to FCO from ATL this Spring and typical PS is around $3,500+ D1 around $5k and Coach around $1,500. Seems out of line for PS to be more than twice Coach.

Can easily find business class on other airlines for around $4k, albeit with an additional stop.
Go in mid-March and PS is available from $1321 roundtrip (vs. $897 in main). There's only 3 buckets for PS (P/A/G), so there's not a lot of granularity in pricing (BE/C+ use dual-inventory checks so there's effectively as many buckets as main). If you pick a date when there is only P bucket on flight, it will likely be quite expensive.

Last edited by xliioper; Nov 2, 2022 at 2:32 pm
Old Nov 2, 2022, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond

Agree -- my company policy is PE for international and for both my international trips this year, I had to book UA (and so did a status challenge over to them and will fly them next year) because the DL/AF/KLM pricing for PS was insanity where the UA pricing was reasonable (and I was able to use miles to upgrade to J on 3/4 TATL flights so win win all around)
rt23456p likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nrr
I was pricing: JFK-ZRH-JFK, for JFK-ZRH I chose PS, for ZRH-JFK choosing D1 (vs PS) the RT is $200 less.
Many company travel policies permit PE but not J
On many airplanes, there are far more J seats than PE seats
rt23456p likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 3:05 pm

Too bad Rome is still pretty cool in March.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.3MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Too bad Rome is still pretty cool in March.
Yeah crap weather Rome and north in March usually.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
DL seems to be be pretty aggressive (in an expensive way) with their premium econ pricing. The A/G fares are reasonable, but if you are looking at flights that only return P fares then those are usually outrageous and as observed D1 can be less if there is a Z fare available. I've frequently seen search results for international flights with low bucket econ for well under $1k, but then only P fares for prem econ at $3.5k+, and then only a few hundred more each way for D1.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 7:13 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I had DL Vacation credit from trips which were cancelled over a year ago (COVID). I booked a DL Vacation with hotel JFK-ZRH-JFK in PS; the price was $1000 less than PS (with NO hotel), I used my 2 remaining GUCs to upgrade to D1, the DL Vacation agent didn't see D1 cheaper than PS.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by NuclearTumbleweed
For a JFK-SFO-JFK trip this past summer, D1 was $100 more than main cabin and $400 less than C+. I'll take the good luck from the Delta fare gods when I can get it.

For a recent work trip from home-ATL-LAX and back, I was similarly lucky with domestic first being cheaper than C+, but work policy didn't allow the upgrade even though it was cheaper .
Surely you must mean DL fare morons, not gods. The same hmmmm "special" creatures that for well over a year priced J FLL/MIA DXB on a combination of DL and KL metal $600 cheaper than Y. LOL
Old Nov 3, 2022, 5:59 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by nrr
I had DL Vacation credit from trips which were cancelled over a year ago (COVID). I booked a DL Vacation with hotel JFK-ZRH-JFK in PS; the price was $1000 less than PS (with NO hotel), I used my 2 remaining GUCs to upgrade to D1, the DL Vacation agent didn't see D1 cheaper than PS.
Maybe the general point is to put PS out of reach so can't easily use GUC into D1 under the new rules. Nice hack, btw.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Willower
Maybe the general point is to put PS out of reach so can't easily use GUC into D1 under the new rules. Nice hack, btw.
It's about higher demand. And, again, there's not a lot of granularity here with only 3 fare buckets to work with. It's also probably way too early to be looking at flights as they will likely open up G inventory on more flights as summer travel gets closer (as shown in screenshot above, there's plenty of G bucket open if you are traveling earlier in year before demand really starts to kick-in). If you noodle around enough in Google Flights, you can find some higher season dates in early May where there are flight options with G bucket open.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.