Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

No no, please, let me pay more to sit in coach (Consolidated Pricing Oddities Thread)

No no, please, let me pay more to sit in coach (Consolidated Pricing Oddities Thread)

Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TheHorta
I have an incredibly difficult time getting my head around how a ONE-WAY, in the same seat on the same flight, could be more than TWICE the cost. Who wouldn't book the R/T and then just abandon the return (or cancel to recover any remaining value)?
It's priced that way to specifically target business travelers with specific time-based demands to be somewhere (but don't know where they are going next) and with a very high willingness to pay because they aren't paying, it's OPM.

I have seen and booked similar fares (in Y) for that reason (I had a last minute work trip to Sydney and Singapore a couple weeks ago that was booked as 4 different OWs due to various changing times, locations, etc. and our senior execs who were on the trip booked 4 separate OW J flights for the same reason).

Booking those 4 OWs sailed through our expense reimbursement but booking a RT and then separate OWs even if it would have saved money would have been a nightmare to expense trying to explain why I booked RDU - SYD - RDU but only flew RDU - SYD and then booked other flights SYD - RDU.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
I've been monitoring flights to LHR from MSP lately and it stuns me how expensive it is to fly for less than a week.
Do study the fare rules. I suspect the issue for you isn't a stay of <7 days, but not staying over a Saturday.

Delta (DL) XLGX26E2 MSP to LON requires a Sat stay and prices r/t under $900.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Basic Economy more than Main Cabin K-fare

More oddball fare stuff.

HSV>ATL>CLT RT 4/17-20 BE>MC.

Fare structure in order is U-V-K-K.

$655 MC
$680 BE
Old Mar 24, 2018, 5:51 am

Its just like the guy at Mc Donalds who gets the small coffee size when he can get the large size for the same $1 and change and splits it with his wife then refills it again and splits it so the same drik is 58 cents per cup with tax.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by danielonn
Its just like the guy at Mc Donalds who gets the small coffee size when he can get the large size for the same $1 and change and splits it with his wife then refills it again and splits it so the same drik is 58 cents per cup with tax.
No. It's when I asked for a medium iced tea and they charge me more than the large size. This happened to me yesterday.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Prfrence
I found a deal where BE was $70 more than main cabin. It was on a real oddball itinerary, the kind I thrive on: DCA-JFK-SLC-CPR (my destination is Thermopolis, WY). Needless to say I grabbed the main cabin fare (which was a bargain for this route, $470 RT, bought 30 days out). This was about $400 less than an itinerary with one change. I'm really looking forward to this trip, as if you are like me and find natural mineral hot springs soaks as therapeutic, you can't do much better than Hot Springs State Park at Thermopolis.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheHorta
More oddball fare stuff.

HSV>ATL>CLT RT 4/17-20 BE>MC.

Fare structure in order is U-V-K-K.

$655 MC
$680 BE

It's not really all that complicated and it's an artifact of Basic Economy fares having more restrictive rules than Main Cabin fares when it comes to fare combinations. The U and V on the main cabin outbound is the tip-off. It's a broken fare. While the E fare for the same flights is just a single fare. They main cabin U and V fares permit end-on-end and side trip fare combinations, but the associated E fares for those main cabin U/V fares only permit A-B-A fare combinations with no side trips. If the fare rules allowed it, you could combine the E fares that underlie those U and V main cabin fares for a cheaper fare. But because they don't, the only BE option is a single through E fare with an underlying K class, namely, a KRUNA0BQ fare, for both outbound and return. All of this can be revealed by clicking on the "Fare Rules" link when quoting the tickets.

Here's the relevant text in the fare rules for the BE fares --
END-ON-END MUST BE AN A-B-A COMBINATION. SIDE TRIPS NOT PERMITTED.
TheHorta likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 24, 2018 at 12:41 pm
Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Basic Economy Costs More Than Main Cabin?

Mods, please move/merge if appropriate. I did a quick search and did not find a matching topic for this.

This is BOS-FLL in February (theoretically high season). In that first one Basic costs more than comfort!

Guess which one I booked?
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:16 pm

lol maybe they are testing if people are so drone'd into the behavior of taking the one on the left because it 'must be the cheapest' and don't even read.
Or someone didn't file the fares right. But that's so simple. Naw can't be it.
strickerj likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Are these all non-stop flights? If​​​​​ so that's weird.

If not, its probably because a lot of the cheaper BE fares are only for non-stop sectors, so the displayed BE fares could have a fare break if no through fare exists in a low enough bucket.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:13 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
If not, its probably because a lot of the cheaper BE fares are only for non-stop sectors, so the displayed BE fares could have a fare break if no through fare exists in a low enough bucket.
I think you figured it out. These are all connecting fights through ATL. In fact, every flight shown with a connection through ATL, and one flight through JFK, have a Main Cabin fare lower than the Basic Economy fare.

As for which one I booked, WFBF? I opted for the completely reasonable G fare on the first option pictured
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are a number of existing threads on this topic (use Google to search with "site:flyertalk.com" added).
No, it's not that BE fares requires non-stop routing, it's that there are no BE fare filings at all on this route. So the BE fares being
shown are actually broken fares involving two BE fares added together while the main cabin fares are single
through fares. This is why there is no BE option listed for the non-stop (broken fares can only be constructed
from multiple segments). You can clearly see the broken fare construction by looking at the fare rules after you have selected
one of the BE fare options.

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 15, 2018 at 10:35 pm
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by LBJ
There are a number of existing threads on this topic (use Google to search with "site:flyertalk.com" added).
No, it's not that BE fares requires non-stop routing, it's that there are no BE fare filings at all on this route. So the BE fares being
shown are actually broken fares involving two BE fares added together while the main cabin fares are single
through fares. This is why there is no BE option listed for the non-stop (broken fares can only be constructed
from multiple segments). You can clearly see the broken fare construction by looking at the fare rules after you have selected
I really wish Delta would just stop showing BE fares when they are more expensive than main cabin - if only to stop the flow of all of these threads on FlyerTalk..
CPMaverick and MarkP24 like this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by LBJ

Interesting. Thanks for the explanation!
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Talking

Originally Posted by ethernal
I really wish Delta would just stop showing BE fares when they are more expensive than main cabin - if only to stop the flow of all of these threads on FlyerTalk..
I wish they'd get rid of BE fares altogether.....
strickerj and ethernal like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.