Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

No no, please, let me pay more to sit in coach (Consolidated Pricing Oddities Thread)

No no, please, let me pay more to sit in coach (Consolidated Pricing Oddities Thread)

Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
OP... think you for the informative thread title. Seriously. ^

You provided information sufficient to allow someone else, who is already aware that this fare discrepancy phenomenon exists, to discern whether they needed to open the thread.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:44 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Delta One cheaper than Main Cabin... again...

I am up late, booking a "surprise" trip for my wife and I to spend Christmas together. I'm scouring the various options, finally settling on a trip to the UK so we can spend the week driving around (and staying at the "Hobbit House" Airbnb in Wales, which she's been dying to do). After seeing the main cabin fares, I figured I'd burn some miles that only get used on other people. Well, lo and behold, D1 fares are actually CHEAPER than main cabin. (?!?!)

This isn't the first time I've seen this, but I'm just wondering... why? Needless to say, I booked the cash D1 fares, thinking perhaps it was a snafu or something. The booking went through without a hitch, and I confirmed with the rep over the phone.

Does this happen often? It's happened 2-3 times this year alone (much to my pleasant surprise).

Photo evidence.

D1 cheaper than Main Cabin... again.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:28 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Not a Mistake

No, not a mistake. Coach is an "H" fare. That will be really pricey, and I'm not sure it even fully changeable like a full-fare "Y" ticket in coach.
$3,388 in DeltaOne to LHR is neither obscene (like that coach fare) nor amazing. OP is definitely wise to book it..
TheHorta likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why is this a complaint?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
This happens periodically. They typically involve INTL Y fares without a Saturday night stay (yes, that's still a thing) overlapping with a J fare sale over a holiday period (both the case in your screenshot).
TheHorta likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I mentioned in the earlier thread that mentioned this, there's a cheap seasonal Z fare out there with a limited window due to lack of business travel demand. There's a slightly cheaper coach Q fare (less than the Z), but it requires a Saturday night stay (which OP is not meeting), while the Z fares only have a 3-day min stay requirement. Generally, Z fares have a Saturday night stay requirement just like the cheaper coach fare classes. Given the fact that airlines file discrete fares (they are not continuously variable) controlled by inventory buckets, plus the various fare rule requirements, it should not be all that surprising that these things pop up from time to time.

ZL3X72D1
Seasonality
PERMITTED 16DEC 17 THROUGH 19DEC 17 OR 24DEC 17 THROUGH 06JAN 18 FOR EACH TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR

Keep in mind, these are roundtrip fares and not everyone books roundtrip's. Business flyers often book one-way's as they don't always know when they will return from their trip. Now let's compare one-way ticket fare availability on this same route with a 12/24 departure.

TheHorta and DCAhome like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 15, 2017 at 7:22 am
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Either way, it seems rather expensive for a ticket to UK.
hi55us and TheHorta like this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Change the return to one day later (so Sat night stay), and the coach fare drops to about $150 less than J (which remains the same). Obviously still worth paying for business...
TheHorta likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Either way, it seems rather expensive for a ticket to UK.
Primarily because it's less than 14 day advance purchase. Most of the cheap (economy) fares on this route required 28+ day advance purchase and either 7-day stay or Saturday-night stay, neither of which this routing satisfies.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
I've been monitoring flights to LHR from MSP lately and it stuns me how expensive it is to fly for less than a week. It's a work trip, and we'll have a new baby, so work's just going to have to bite the bullet on the expensive flight.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by TerryK
Why is this a complaint?
Why do you view the post as a complaint?

I read it as a search for information... seeking to hear of the experiences of others.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:04 pm

Wink

Originally Posted by TerryK
Why is this a complaint?
LOL... definitely not a complaint, and I'm always happy when this occurs, but to a non-FT veteran it seems rather... counter-intuitive -- if you don't know what's going on behind the scenes (which I obviously do not).

It's like pennies from heaven to me.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
As I mentioned in the earlier thread that mentioned this, there's a cheap seasonal Z fare out there with a limited window due to lack of business travel demand. There's a slightly cheaper coach Q fare (less than the Z), but it requires a Saturday night stay (which OP is not meeting), while the Z fares only have a 3-day min stay requirement. Generally, Z fares have a Saturday night stay requirement just like the cheaper coach fare classes. Given the fact that airlines file discrete fares (they are not continuously variable) controlled by inventory buckets, plus the various fare rule requirements, it should not be all that surprising that these things pop up from time to time.

ZL3X72D1
Seasonality
PERMITTED 16DEC 17 THROUGH 19DEC 17 OR 24DEC 17 THROUGH 06JAN 18 FOR EACH TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR

Keep in mind, these are roundtrip fares and not everyone books roundtrip's. Business flyers often book one-way's as they don't always know when they will return from their trip. Now let's compare one-way ticket fare availability on this same route with a 12/24 departure.

I have an incredibly difficult time getting my head around how a ONE-WAY, in the same seat on the same flight, could be more than TWICE the cost. Who wouldn't book the R/T and then just abandon the return (or cancel to recover any remaining value)?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TheHorta
I have an incredibly difficult time getting my head around how a ONE-WAY, in the same seat on the same flight, could be more than TWICE the cost. Who wouldn't book the R/T and then just abandon the return (or cancel to recover any remaining value)?
If you try to cancel the return part of a RT and get a refund, the airline can recalculate your fare on a one way basis.
hi55us and TheHorta like this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you try to cancel the return part of a RT and get a refund, the airline can recalculate your fare on a one way basis.
Well, that would... suck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.