Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

No no, please, let me pay more to sit in coach (Consolidated Pricing Oddities Thread)

No no, please, let me pay more to sit in coach (Consolidated Pricing Oddities Thread)

Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: DL, UA
I just ran across this little gem and had to post it!
Attached Images  
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
The whole thing screams DELTA IT and of course, none of us are surprised...
Delta RM*
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WidgetKid
I just ran across this little gem and had to post it!
Saw similar.

YYZ-ATL-SAV.

~550 E
~250 Main Cabin
~380 G
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
It's unclear to me why they post separate fares for E buckets. Shouldn't it just be algorithmic, lowest available coach -$30 or whatever
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by matthew64832
It's unclear to me why they post separate fares for E buckets. Shouldn't it just be algorithmic, lowest available coach -$30 or whatever
Need to be able to distribute to the various GDS systems, so it's not that simple.

In the above example, the BE fare is actually a broken fare. There is no BE fare availability on the through fare (possibly due to advance purchase requirements), and the website was trying too hard to find a BE fare option and dug up the broken fare option with separate BE fares for each of the segments. Obviously, the website should just not show the BE fare option in these cases where the broken fare BE costs more than the Main Cabin through fare. So you shouldn't really be blaming RM for this one, it's an IT issue with the DL website fare search/display.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, SW (former) A-list
Strange pricing: First class cheaper than Basic Economy?

I was searching for a round trip from Cleveland to Raleigh-Durham for next September, and found myself staring at the strangest pricing: $441 for Basic Economy. $275 for Main Cabin ("Only 1 Seat Left At This Price!"). $305 for Delta Comfort, and $414 for First Class.
Can anyone explain this to me?
Attached Images  

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Apr 27, 2017 at 6:57 pm Reason: merged into existing thread on the subject
Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
If you click through to the summary page by selecting a Basic Economy fare, does Delta.com offer to "upgrade" you to a Main Cabin fare for negative dollars (ie. "Upgrade to Main Cabin for -$5 each way per person")?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, SW (former) A-list
That too, of course, is weird.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL DM FC 3MM, AA Platinum, UA 1K
Happens more than we realize. Just 20 min ago, on different route, Main cabin and DL Comfort were markedly cheaper than Basic Econ. Unfortunately, First was still highest.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you click through the flights selection and go to the fare rules you will discover the BE fare is actually a broken fare. There is no inventory in the E bucket on the through fare with that routing, but there is E inventory for the individual segments. So the web search is combining two one-way BE fares for the CLE-ATL and ATL-RDU segments to produce the pricing you see.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by flyingmontana
I was searching for a round trip from Cleveland to Raleigh-Durham for next September, and found myself staring at the strangest pricing: $441 for Basic Economy. $275 for Main Cabin ("Only 1 Seat Left At This Price!"). $305 for Delta Comfort, and $414 for First Class.
Can anyone explain this to me?
More reason to by first class.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Now that's what I call FCM and competing with Spirit at the same time!
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by bj27
If you click through to the summary page by selecting a Basic Economy fare, does Delta.com offer to "upgrade" you to a Main Cabin fare for negative dollars (ie. "Upgrade to Main Cabin for -$5 each way per person")?
Just looked and there is nothing about a cheaper "UG" to Main Cabin when BE Is more than Y.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
That route has a good amount of corporate/professional travel. Some companies require employees to purchase fares labeled economy. In that light, this doesn't look weird at all.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
When Delta.Dumb does you a favor... don't post it here. They may fix it. Just take the better seat and run.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.