Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

No no, please, let me pay more to sit in coach (Consolidated Pricing Oddities Thread)

No no, please, let me pay more to sit in coach (Consolidated Pricing Oddities Thread)

Old Mar 5, 2016, 10:53 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
The Curious Case of Delta's E-Fare Pricing

Just thought this was funny, because I've seen this a few times:

Looking at MSP-LAS and back 5/19-5/22 and the E fares are more expensive than both both U and T fares...

I can just see the marketing push now... "With Delta, we now offer a cultural experience where you will experience how the other half flies for only a few more dollars than our lowest available fare!"

lolz
Old Mar 5, 2016, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep, but you are not the first to observe this. There have been about a half dozen threads started on this issue.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 2:23 am

Red face

If a stupid non FTer bought the more restrictive more expensive fare without researching it has no sympathy from me. All it takes is a call to Delta to find out the fare restrictions on both fares or online.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 5:26 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
Originally Posted by danielonn
If a stupid non FTer bought the more restrictive more expensive fare without researching it has no sympathy from me. All it takes is a call to Delta to find out the fare restrictions on both fares or online.
But thats just you. Why would ( should? ) someone think that a more expensive fare would be more restrictive and comes with less service? What happend to "you get what you paid for?" I find it higly unreasonable that a 1-2 flights a year traveller has to know the difference between L/U/X/E fares, something made up by the airlines just to milk the consumer even more.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 2:58 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by BER Flyer
But thats just you. Why would ( should? ) someone think that a more expensive fare would be more restrictive and comes with less service? What happend to "you get what you paid for?" I find it higly unreasonable that a 1-2 flights a year traveller has to know the difference between L/U/X/E fares, something made up by the airlines just to milk the consumer even more.
There's no reason to expect them to know the difference beforehand, but have you tried actually pricing a Basic Economy itinerary? When you click SELECT a big window pops up with two clearly divided sections describing what's included, and what the restrictions are, for an E fare, and you have to check a box saying you agree with the restrictions in order to proceed. And then the next page has an exclamation mark in a red circle and repeats the restrictions. So I'm not inclined to be too sympathetic either.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
There's no reason to expect them to know the difference beforehand, but have you tried actually pricing a Basic Economy itinerary? When you click SELECT a big window pops up with two clearly divided sections describing what's included, and what the restrictions are, for an E fare, and you have to check a box saying you agree with the restrictions in order to proceed. And then the next page has an exclamation mark in a red circle and repeats the restrictions. So I'm not inclined to be too sympathetic either.
Yes that is exactly my point as the person booking must read and agree to the terms for the restricted fare.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 1:05 am

Programs: DL Ham Samich
The whole thing screams DELTA IT and of course, none of us are surprised...
Old Sep 15, 2016, 9:02 am

Programs: Delta-PM, HHonors-Diamond, Hyatt-Explorist, Hertz - Presidents
Basic Economy anyone?

Shopping prices for a trip to the keys in January and got a kick out of the BE prices and thought I'd share!
Attached Images  
Old Sep 15, 2016, 9:14 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
^
Old Sep 15, 2016, 9:37 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Oh man, that last flight must have some killer basic economy seats since they're priced $150 higher than main cabin!
Old Sep 15, 2016, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by hi55us
Oh man, that last flight must have some killer basic economy seats since they're priced $150 higher than main cabin!
Heck, at that point I'll spring the extra $61.00 and go FIRST CLASS BAYBEE!!!
Old Sep 15, 2016, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This has been observed a number of times before. It's a consequence of only having a limited number of BE fare filings. There are filings for L, X, and V fares, but nothing for U and T fares. So when there is no X or V available, either due to the buckets being zeroed-out or fare rules (X/V fares require Tue/Wed/Sat travel), you get bumped all the way up to an L basis BE fare. Meanwhile, there may be cheaper U or T main cabin fares available for those flights. Since OP's return is on a Sunday, definitionally the only BE fares available will be L basis fares (as X and V basis fares are only available for Tue/Wed/Sat travel).

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 15, 2016 at 9:24 pm
Old Sep 15, 2016, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
It's a consequence of only having a limited number of BE fare filings.
It's a consequence of Delta IT not programming it correctly. I would be embarrassed if my company offered a striped-down economy product at a higher price that my basic product. It should never happen. Maybe they do this so the Corporate TA's that have to purchase BE pay a high price?
Old Sep 15, 2016, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Start_at_UIN
It's a consequence of Delta IT not programming it correctly. I would be embarrassed if my company offered a striped-down economy product at a higher price that my basic product. It should never happen. Maybe they do this so the Corporate TA's that have to purchase BE pay a high price?
No IT is working fine. As noted there's only certain BE fares. If there's a sale, it's normally done as a normal fare class. Thus you can have a regular fare less then the available BE fare.

It can also happen when you use a multi city airport code like WAS or NYC.

Finally I believe (not positive) that E fares are based per segment. Thus the cheapest through fare can be cheaper then an E fare for both segments.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Start_at_UIN
Heck, at that point I'll spring the extra $61.00 and go FIRST CLASS BAYBEE!!!
Exactamundo I would be all over that F price

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.