Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Refund Policy You May Not Know About

Old Aug 2, 20, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Silver

Like many of you, I've been chasing a refund from DL for cancelled international flights in June. After several calls and tweets with DL I came to find out what actually happened and it's a bit unusual, but may be useful for folks to know. I originally paid for my ticket in part by using an ecredit from a previously canceled flight. The rest was on my current Amex. The canceled flight that resulted in the ecredit was paid for by an old Visa that I had canceled late last year. Turns out DL actually had processed the refund back to the original payment method of the ecredit flight, the canceled Visa. I didn't know that until I learned about the website DL has set up to track coronavirus related refunds and saw that it posted to that old credit card. Still took two months to do, which is ridiculous but that's another story.

Bottom line, just know that DL policy when refunding a ticket that includes an ecredit that the refund goes back to the very original method of payment.
Old Aug 2, 20, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Scott H View Post
Like many of you, I've been chasing a refund from DL for cancelled international flights in June. After several calls and tweets with DL I came to find out what actually happened and it's a bit unusual, but may be useful for folks to know. I originally paid for my ticket in part by using an ecredit from a previously canceled flight. The rest was on my current Amex. The canceled flight that resulted in the ecredit was paid for by an old Visa that I had canceled late last year. Turns out DL actually had processed the refund back to the original payment method of the ecredit flight, the canceled Visa. I didn't know that until I learned about the website DL has set up to track coronavirus related refunds and saw that it posted to that old credit card. Still took two months to do, which is ridiculous but that's another story.

Bottom line, just know that DL policy when refunding a ticket that includes an ecredit that the refund goes back to the very original method of payment.
What website is that???
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 2, 20, 11:43 am

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz

I had the same scenario and not only did DL only give me an e-credit for the original ticket used on the second ticket, but they marked it as good for only one year. I really needed a full refund.
Old Aug 2, 20, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
What website is that???
Just guessing, but possibly referring to the refund status checker site mentioned in the wiki of the master thread? https://www.delta.com/refunds/checkR...sAction.action

Delta Coronavirus: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/E-Credit/Changes to tickets-Consolidated
Old Aug 2, 20, 7:01 pm

Programs: Many
I think this pretty much standard refund policy, especially when you're dealing with a large volume of refunds.
Old Aug 2, 20, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
Just guessing, but possibly referring to the refund status checker site mentioned in the wiki of the master thread? https://www.delta.com/refunds/checkR...sAction.action

Delta Coronavirus: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/E-Credit/Changes to tickets-Consolidated
Fair enough. I just have one pending. I didn't realize that they had created a tool for it, so I called and was told that they were just now processing requests from the end of April, so I could just go to the back of the line with my June 1 cancellation.

FWIW, mine doesn't pull up in that tool, so it didn't tell me anything.
Old Aug 3, 20, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL-DM (MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
Just dealt with this with the creation of a multi year ticket:

- purchased something around two years ago on credit card A, canceled the flight, got an e-credit #1
- used e-credit #1 and credit card B to book flight to Iceland.
- canceled Iceland flight for family reasons and got another e-credit (#2 )
- That sat for about a year and then used e-credit #2 to book trip to Indonesia with additional funds on credit card #3 to fly upper deck on KE 747-8 upper deck.
- Covid cancelled that trip in late April....Was told that I should be getting a full credit of all funds via a check or back to credit cards.

I waited the 7 days....the 30 days, but at 45ish days, I get an email saying that I should get an e-credit shortly.
A week later, I called for an inquiry and was told that multi payment purchases are taking longer than usual.
I understood, was patient, but wanted to make sure that it was still in the works and not lost. DM rep said that some refunds are still pending from May purchases...I re-iterated mine was in April...he repeated "longer than usual" :eyes:
More importantly, I noticed Delta 'rules' that state e-credits can only be used on Delta metal (I was unable to book a Delta flight with partner connection and have any e-credits available to me...maybe via phone, but not online...which is kinda BS as the canceled flight came from a multiple partner cancellation: DM-GA, KE-DL)
So I was looking for the full credit back to the respective credit cards.

Two weeks later, they finally came thru....all to Amex cards - one of which has had the number change. But I called Amex, and they said since it's on the same account, they'll recognize the old number and apply the credit.
Two days later, all credits came thru from their respective Amex cards for a full refund.

So, roughly two months of waiting, but finally credited.
Old Aug 11, 20, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Aadvantage Platinum, Ritz-Carlton Rewards Silver, Le Club Accor Silver
My husband and I had made reservations on DL to go to the Frankfurt Book Fair this October. We made them way in advance (in early February, IIRC). Our reservations were JFK-CDG-FRA on the way over (AF codeshare) and FRA-JFK on the way home (DL). Business class. Usually, by the spring, I have made all our hotel reservations. Instead, my husband had asked me to hold off on everything, in light of the pandemic. By summer, we knew we were not going, and that we might have to lose the money on the airline tickets.

Last week, there was a message on the DL website regarding our reservations, saying we needed to call. The reservation no longer met the Minimum Connection Time in CDG, allowing us to cancel. Which I did. I had purchased the tickets on a CC that has since been cancelled, and they were going to refund the money to that CC, and the bank would take it from there. I was told that it might take over a month for the money to show up on my CC. It is there today. Pretty impressive.
Old Aug 12, 20, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BHammy View Post
Just dealt with this with the creation of a multi year ticket:

- purchased something around two years ago on credit card A, canceled the flight, got an e-credit #1
- used e-credit #1 and credit card B to book flight to Iceland.
- canceled Iceland flight for family reasons and got another e-credit (#2 )
- That sat for about a year and then used e-credit #2 to book trip to Indonesia with additional funds on credit card #3 to fly upper deck on KE 747-8 upper deck.
- Covid cancelled that trip in late April....Was told that I should be getting a full credit of all funds via a check or back to credit cards.

I waited the 7 days....the 30 days, but at 45ish days, I get an email saying that I should get an e-credit shortly.
A week later, I called for an inquiry and was told that multi payment purchases are taking longer than usual.
I understood, was patient, but wanted to make sure that it was still in the works and not lost. DM rep said that some refunds are still pending from May purchases...I re-iterated mine was in April...he repeated "longer than usual" :eyes:
More importantly, I noticed Delta 'rules' that state e-credits can only be used on Delta metal (I was unable to book a Delta flight with partner connection and have any e-credits available to me...maybe via phone, but not online...which is kinda BS as the canceled flight came from a multiple partner cancellation: DM-GA, KE-DL)
So I was looking for the full credit back to the respective credit cards.

Two weeks later, they finally came thru....all to Amex cards - one of which has had the number change. But I called Amex, and they said since it's on the same account, they'll recognize the old number and apply the credit.
Two days later, all credits came thru from their respective Amex cards for a full refund.

So, roughly two months of waiting, but finally credited.
It can be done via phone. Generally a lot of the language you see is copied and pasted on all types of ecredits. An unused ticket is considered an ecredit by DL, but it's not subject to same terms as say a 50$ CS gesture ecredit.

In you case because of the number of reissues and multiple FOP calling in is likely only option to rebook.
BHammy likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: