Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Should Delta Introduce a Diamond Lifetime Tier?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should Delta Introduce a Diamond Lifetime Tier?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2020, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by garykung
Still, it is a disadvantage already. DL MM status starts from Silver (FO), the entry level. Yet, UA starts at Gold, the lower mid-level.
Unlike DL, I keep seeing discussions about UA devaluing UA MM status. UA have a history of breaking promises so there's that.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
Doesn't UA count *A partner flights as well?
Not since merger with CO (2011?). *A partner miles earned prior to merger did count.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TerryK
Not since merger with CO (2011?). *A partner miles earned prior to merger did count.
Oh...that only makes it more difficult to earn MM status on UA.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh...that only makes it more difficult to earn MM status on UA.
Precisely my point.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Unlike DL, I keep seeing discussions about UA devaluing UA MM status. UA have a history of breaking promises so there's that.
I can see why people see some changes as devaluation. But it is more like a draw instead.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 11:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by HDQDD
Discourages those who are marginal from spreading their business around to make status in other programs
doesn't this actually benefit you though? if someone is a LTD and decides to go fly AS for a while, that is one less person to compete with for seats and upgrades and space in the lounge
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gitismatt
doesn't this actually benefit you though? if someone is a LTD and decides to go fly AS for a while, that is one less person to compete with for seats and upgrades and space in the lounge
I would say yes, but maybe others feel differently.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by gitismatt
Its not about benefiting me. Airlines, unfortunately, don’t design their loyalty programs just for me. They design them to encourage more business.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 5:07 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Yeah, it's about driving business. I'm at 1.7 MM and will keep pushing forward (when we can) to at least hit 2MM. The good thing is if you don't use your status, doesn't really cost the airline much, but also the drive to get it (as long as there are desired benefits) keeps $$ coming in the door. Also there's a bit of reasoning to do things like lifetime. I have a lifetime WorldClub membership which at the time NW wanted the cash upfront, so helps short term but long term has some incremental costs. However, does inspire me to use DL since I know I get to go the the SC and though not bound by the need a DL ticket rule, still easier to fly DL for convienence.

I suspect for those that are really at the 99.999% of the bell curve of lifetime miles, I would think they had some unpublished white gloved customer care aspects to it. I but United does a lot for Mr Stuker who passed 21 MM in 2019.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Doesn't UA count *A partner flights as well?
Originally Posted by TerryK
You bet they did. At the merger I had about half a million from Continental, half a million from Eastern and IIRC a few from New York Air.

It does not mean very much in the way of benefits and although I am about 25K MQMs from DL 2MM, I certainly am not making any effort to get there. Eventually, when the pandemic lets up, I will get in an airplane again, but not until then.
I'm told that I am too "high risk" due to my age so I am listening.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 8:55 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
AA at one time counted miles earned with spending on AAdvantage Citi CC (as well as other sources) for the Million Mile Bank. Several years ago they took the non-flying perk away. 2 MM = lifetime PLATINUM, there was never a lifetime EXECUTIVE PLATINUM (=DL Diamond). For a brief time AA is now allowing all spend on CC to (again) count toward MM and hence Lifetime Plat.
PS: AA added a status PLAT. PLUS (no lifetime route) making PLAT. not as valuable as before.
Spiff and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 9:16 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I think they should make 3MM lifetime PM and 4MM lifetime DM. I'll never make 4 MM, but I have someone in my extended family who has (my sister-in-law's husband) who went past 5 MM in the past couple of years and was doing about 25k MQMs per month until COVID-19 hit. Incredibly, this individual has never been invited into Delta 360 even though he has been a Delta loyalist for close to 40 years and typically does not fly on "junk fares" like I do.

After getting this type of status, why would you want to fly someone else and start from the beginning. The only other domestic airline I'm even the least bit curious about flying is Spirit; before COVID, they had some enticing deals BWI-FLL (as low as $92.00 round trip), and their schedule was perfect for a day at the races at Gulfstream Park (you can actually take a public bus from FLL to just outside Gulfstream's entrance off US 1).

Last edited by ND76; Jul 28, 2020 at 9:25 am
Old Jul 28, 2020, 9:26 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by nrr
AA at one time counted miles earned with spending on AAdvantage Citi CC (as well as other sources) for the Million Mile Bank. Several years ago they took the non-flying perk away. 2 MM = lifetime PLATINUM, there was never a lifetime EXECUTIVE PLATINUM (=DL Diamond). For a brief time AA is now allowing all spend on CC to (again) count toward MM and hence Lifetime Plat.
PS: AA added a status PLAT. PLUS (no lifetime route) making PLAT. not as valuable as before.
The fictitious Ryan Bingham got 10,000,000 points on AA's program apparently from all sources, flying and non-flying.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by ND76
After getting this type of status, why would you want to fly someone else and start from the beginning.
I'm generalizing here, and that is of course dangerous, but I think most people at 4MM (under the current rules) or more are older than 60 and probably wealthier than most. They likely place a premium on time. Therefore, they are more likely to just pay for first on the most convenient flight. The core benefits between paid F/J and having status aren't terribly significant. My annual comp gold doesn't keep me on delta. It's other factors. Similarly my Marriott LT Titanium doesn't push me to Marriott properties. In fact it pushes me away when there is another preferable option. I'm less willing to "sacrifice" and stay at the worn Marriott or Sheraton when there is a Hyatt nearby. Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this way...
Old Jul 28, 2020, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by El Boocho
Similarly my Marriott LT Titanium doesn't push me to Marriott properties. In fact it pushes me away when there is another preferable option. I'm less willing to "sacrifice" and stay at the worn Marriott or Sheraton when there is a Hyatt nearby. Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this way...
That's impressive, they don't even advertise LT Titanium on their site. I'm a LT Plat and it makes me less likely to stay at Marriott (although if there's still a way to get LT Titanium, I maybe should go for that!). I actually try to max out my other hotel statuses first, and then use Marriott later in the year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.