Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

International Flight transit MSP/ATL Layover

International Flight transit MSP/ATL Layover

Old Jul 22, 20, 5:16 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 4
International Flight transit MSP/ATL Layover

Hello,

I have to choose one ticket from these two KLM flights.



1. I have a connection from MSP to lambert and the layover is 2 hours and 10 minutes. Is that enough for an international flight?

2. A connection from ATL to lambert and layover is 3 hours. Which one I should choose? The flight is going to be in December.


I just mention that my ticket is from Kuwait to STL. I can either go from Kuwait - AMS, and then to either ATL or MSP to clear customs and security and finally to STL. Iím an international student.
Abdullatif is offline  
Old Jul 22, 20, 6:12 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 19,002
MSP is much easier for immigration and customs. ATL is much busier and thus takes longer.

Only issue is weather in December. MSP has greater chance of snow. However they're also pros at clearing it and keeping airport functioning.

PS call it St. Louis. Calling it Lambert is only going to confuse people. Like saying you're going to OR Tambo. Most people wouldn't have a clue you mean Johannesburg.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Jul 22, 20, 6:36 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
MSP is much easier for immigration and customs. ATL is much busier and thus takes longer.

Only issue is weather in December. MSP has greater chance of snow. However they're also pros at clearing it and keeping airport functioning.

PS call it St. Louis. Calling it Lambert is only going to confuse people. Like saying you're going to OR Tambo. Most people wouldn't have a clue you mean Johannesburg.

Thank you very much for the clarification and your opinion!!
Abdullatif is offline  
Old Jul 22, 20, 7:30 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Central FL
Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Gold; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Posts: 543
Another voice for ATL in December.
Abdullatif likes this.
jalves is offline  
Old Jul 22, 20, 10:20 am
  #5  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 91,848
AFAIK there aren't international flights nonstop to MSP at the moment unless there's preclearance (the exception for Canada transborder, Dublin, some Mexico, etc.) because MSP isn't on the list of a dozen or so USA airports with the health screening that is required for most arriving international passengers. If this doesn't change by your travel date, the TATL flight to MSP will likely be cancelled or you won't be permitted to board. Are you sure it isn't a "direct" flight with the same flight number but a stop for example at DTW? Also, are you sure the AMS-MSP segment is operated by KLM and not a codeshare on DL?

Check also how many flights DL is operating to STL from various international hubs in the USA. If you miss the connection, will you be forced to wait until the next day?

Normally I'd say MSP as that airport is very good at handling winter weather, while a slight dusting of snow or ice can cripple ATL for days, but my experiences with international arrivals into MSP late last year had long lines, even for D1/GE, although mobile passport (with a USA passport and USA cellular service) seemed to flow well.
Abdullatif likes this.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Jul 22, 20, 10:25 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: Delta PM
Posts: 512
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
AFAIK there aren't international flights nonstop to MSP at the moment unless there's preclearance (the exception for Canada transborder, Dublin, some Mexico, etc.) because MSP isn't on the list of a dozen or so USA airports with the health screening that is required for most arriving international passengers. If this doesn't change by your travel date, the TATL flight to MSP will likely be cancelled or you won't be permitted to board. Are you sure it isn't a "direct" flight with the same flight number but a stop for example at DTW? Also, are you sure the AMS-MSP segment is operated by KLM and not a codeshare on DL?

Check also how many flights DL is operating to STL from various international hubs in the USA. If you miss the connection, will you be forced to wait until the next day?

Normally I'd say MSP as that airport is very good at handling winter weather, while a slight dusting of snow or ice can cripple ATL for days, but my experiences with international arrivals into MSP late last year had long lines, even for D1/GE, although mobile passport (with a USA passport and USA cellular service) seemed to flow well.
Another factor here is what's the volume going to look like in December? I realize that lower passenger volumes also mean less staff at the airport, but just something to consider.

And, absolutely right that any minor winter event in ATL means trouble.
dcadwell is offline  
Old Jul 22, 20, 10:34 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 19,002
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
AFAIK there aren't international flights nonstop to MSP at the moment unless there's preclearance (the exception for Canada transborder, Dublin, some Mexico, etc.) because MSP isn't on the list of a dozen or so USA airports with the health screening that is required for most arriving international passengers. If this doesn't change by your travel date, the TATL flight to MSP will likely be cancelled or you won't be permitted to board. Are you sure it isn't a "direct" flight with the same flight number but a stop for example at DTW? Also, are you sure the AMS-MSP segment is operated by KLM and not a codeshare on DL?

Check also how many flights DL is operating to STL from various international hubs in the USA. If you miss the connection, will you be forced to wait until the next day?

Normally I'd say MSP as that airport is very good at handling winter weather, while a slight dusting of snow or ice can cripple ATL for days, but my experiences with international arrivals into MSP late last year had long lines, even for D1/GE, although mobile passport (with a USA passport and USA cellular service) seemed to flow well.
It doesn't matter if its DL or KLM metal. The arrival and connection will be exactly the same either way.

A quick check shows DL operating two nonstops to MSP in December.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Jul 22, 20, 10:59 am
  #8  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 50,002
Arriving from the Netherlands, OP will not be able to enter the US at MSP until and unless DHS issues an order expanding that. May or may not happen. His choices are listed below. I would select the connection point which offers the best backup to STL in IRROPS. Easy enough to make a 2-3 hour connection. But, if things go wrong, it is the backup plan which matters more.
  • Boston-Logan International Airport (BOS), Massachusetts
  • Chicago OíHare International Airport (ORD), Illinois
  • Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW), Texas
  • Detroit Metropolitan Airport (DTW), Michigan
  • Daniel K. Inouye International Airport (HNL), Hawaii
  • Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL), Georgia
  • John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK), New York
  • Los Angeles International Airport, (LAX), California
  • Miami International Airport (MIA), Florida
  • Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR), New Jersey
  • San Francisco International Airport (SFO), California
  • Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA), Washington
  • Washington-Dulles International Airport (IAD), Virginia
Often1 is offline  
Old Jul 22, 20, 11:04 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 19,002
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Arriving from the Netherlands, OP will not be able to enter the US at MSP until and unless DHS issues an order expanding that. May or may not happen. His choices are listed below. I would select the connection point which offers the best backup to STL in IRROPS. Easy enough to make a 2-3 hour connection. But, if things go wrong, it is the backup plan which matters more.
  • Boston-Logan International Airport (BOS), Massachusetts
  • Chicago OíHare International Airport (ORD), Illinois
  • Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW), Texas
  • Detroit Metropolitan Airport (DTW), Michigan
  • Daniel K. Inouye International Airport (HNL), Hawaii
  • Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL), Georgia
  • John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK), New York
  • Los Angeles International Airport, (LAX), California
  • Miami International Airport (MIA), Florida
  • Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR), New Jersey
  • San Francisco International Airport (SFO), California
  • Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA), Washington
  • Washington-Dulles International Airport (IAD), Virginia
OP is flying in December. Also the airlines will reroute if the connecting airport cant be used.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Jul 22, 20, 12:23 pm
  #10  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 91,848
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
OP is flying in December. Also the airlines will reroute if the connecting airport cant be used.
They'll reroute or rebook, but OP wouldn't get the (nonstop) flight that was chosen.

Also, OP above said that these were KLM flights, so I was questioning whether it really would be a DL operated codeshare, marketed by KLM. OP might want to c consider whether he/she prefers to deal with DL or KLM for schedule changes, cancellations, rebooking, etc.
Abdullatif likes this.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Jul 22, 20, 12:28 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 8,198
All things being equal, I would say MSP in normal times however given that it's winter and the fact that at present, MSP is not a core arrival airport (per the above), I would just stick with ATL from the start to minimize the risk of flights changes due to COVID or weather issues due to December in MSP
jalves and Abdullatif like this.
Duke787 is offline  
Old Jul 22, 20, 1:24 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 4
Thank you very much for all your answers. Flights are operated by KLM. I actually found another flight from Detroit to STL and the layover is 2 hours and 30 minutes. Iím not sure if Detroit airport is less busier than ATL. I think i would choose ATL just because i got about 50 minutes more. Its a hard choice and risky to choose MSP just because of COVID and being in winter. Nevertheless, I know ATL is far more busier and not sure if 50 minutes would make a big difference.
Abdullatif is offline  
Old Jul 22, 20, 2:36 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 8,198
Originally Posted by Abdullatif View Post
Thank you very much for all your answers. Flights are operated by KLM. I actually found another flight from Detroit to STL and the layover is 2 hours and 30 minutes. Iím not sure if Detroit airport is less busier than ATL. I think i would choose ATL just because i got about 50 minutes more. Its a hard choice and risky to choose MSP just because of COVID and being in winter. Nevertheless, I know ATL is far more busier and not sure if 50 minutes would make a big difference.
Are both the DTW and ATL flights operated by KLM? If either is operated by DL, that would be my preference because DL Y seating has more room than KLM Y seating. Otherwise, I would stick with ATL. They are efficient with international arrivals and 3+ hours is more than enough time unless something changes between now and then to require some sort of test on arrival.
MSPeconomist and Abdullatif like this.
Duke787 is offline  
Old Jul 22, 20, 3:26 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: MSP
Programs: DL PlatMM, BA Silver, AlaskaAir Gold, HHonors DIA, Accor Silver, Marriott Silver, IHG Plat, TK/UA/AA
Posts: 4,105
Yes, I'd agree and pick ATL, since that is more likely to have a later/earlier flight if yours is cancelled. Also, weather is *usually* better in ATL in December; that said, 10cm of snow at MSP/DTW is nothing, and flights wouldn't be delayed or cancelled; at ATL, 10cm of snow would be a disaster. Lol! Luckily, it only snows in ATL a few times a year, vs. a few times a week in MSP/DTW in December!
Abdullatif likes this.
kyushuman is offline  
Old Jul 22, 20, 3:56 pm
  #15  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 50,002
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
OP is flying in December. Also the airlines will reroute if the connecting airport cant be used.
The DHS order has no time limit. Stays in effect until cancelled or amended. Given that there is an alternative which is on the list....
MSPeconomist and Abdullatif like this.
Often1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: