FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Flying BKK to USA (tbd) better F service (July 2020) Delta vs Korean Air? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2021554-flying-bkk-usa-tbd-better-f-service-july-2020-delta-vs-korean-air.html)

Powers106 Jul 14, 2020 2:35 am

Flying BKK to USA (tbd) better F service (July 2020) Delta vs Korean Air?

Okay so it looks like Thailand will be kicking out all the foreigners who can't find a way to swing a new visa or an extension by July 31st and the US Embassy will no longer provide letters requesting US citizens to remain. There are lot's of opinions on that but it's not my question here. --> When I fly back to USA (LAX,SEA, tbd based on prices) I can choose Korean Air for all legs or Delta Suites for the Seoul-USA leg, does anyone have any info on how the service is on these flights? I'm thinking flying on KA would be a better experience for service but the Suites are nice as long as they serve some wine lol. Thanks for any input!

Cheers, Powers

flyerCO Jul 14, 2020 2:46 am

1)You're looking at business not first class. DL has no international F, and KE no longer has F on medium haul routes within Asia.
2)KE is known for hot cabins.
3)I find meals better, but drink service worse on KE.
4)DL Suites are much more comfortable than KE business.

Powers106 Jul 14, 2020 3:17 am

Yes, I've flown the route about 8 times in the past year (last in Jan 20) and F seems and easy way to say Delta One vs Korean Prestige - I agree on all your points actually, I do like the bar area on some of the Korean flights.

My question is what is the service like currently given the COVID situation? Does Korean for example have the "bar area" open? Do either serve hot meals, drinks, etc,? It always seemed Korean had more FA's and service was pretty good (even without having the suite which is awesome).

xliioper Jul 14, 2020 5:15 am

For reference, most people here use and understand 'J' to be the generic designation for business class.

rylan Jul 14, 2020 6:56 am

From recent reports, DL is still doing their international service although it is somewhat reduced... meals are delivered on a tray all at once instead of multiple plated courses. No desert cart wheeled along aisles. Unsure about the bev cart, but assuming that is also not used and drinks are brought to you if requested. Delta is also limiting the D1 cabin go 75% capacity.

Not sure on what KE is doing for their service.

flyerCO Jul 14, 2020 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Powers106 (Post 32530243)
Yes, I've flown the route about 8 times in the past year (last in Jan 20) and F seems and easy way to say Delta One vs Korean Prestige - I agree on all your points actually, I do like the bar area on some of the Korean flights.

My question is what is the service like currently given the COVID situation? Does Korean for example have the "bar area" open? Do either serve hot meals, drinks, etc,? It always seemed Korean had more FA's and service was pretty good (even without having the suite which is awesome).

KE long haul has both F and J. DL long haul only has J, they have no F.

DL still offers a hot meal, but all on one tray. Drinks are available but in plastic cups. This has been documented better in thread about service. (Including pictures)

Dont know KE currently. However anything self service I'm guessing us out.

Duke787 Jul 14, 2020 7:14 am

Well if you want F, you'll need to fly KE.

If you are open to J, it depends on how or if KE is social distancing in J since KE has a more dense cabin (2-2-2).

On the flip side, I would guess passengers on KE are more likely to follow the rules than passengers on DL (though coming from Asia, you'll likely be okay, more of a potential problem for internal US flights or flights departing the US with lots of Americans on it).

exwannabe Jul 15, 2020 1:22 pm

In the pre-COVD days I think DL won out easily in J. Better seats. Service was a push. KE wins on the bim-bop-pee and that is it.

If paying my own cash, I would still chose one of many alternatives. CI has better seats than either. MU is also good but there is no way I would risk a connection through mainland China in these times.

cmd320 Jul 15, 2020 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by exwannabe (Post 32534066)
In the pre-COVD days I think DL won out easily in J. Better seats. Service was a push. KE wins on the bim-bop-pee and that is it.

If paying my own cash, I would still chose one of many alternatives. CI has better seats than either. MU is also good but there is no way I would risk a connection through mainland China in these times.

I think it's important to figure out if the OP is referring to actual F on KE or just J.

jj243 Jul 15, 2020 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 32530217)
1)You're looking at business not first class. DL has no international F, and KE no longer has F on medium haul routes within Asia.
3)I find meals better, but drink service worse on KE.
4)DL Suites are much more comfortable than KE business.

I don’t necessarily agree with #4. KE Prestige window seat on the 777 is really spacious and has aisle access (seats are staggered). When you push the divider up with the neighboring seat, feels just like a suite.

jj243 Jul 15, 2020 9:22 pm

I would add though that there aren’t many American entertainment options. So, on balance, the KE experience is really nice (better food as well), but overall, as an American, I would prefer DL.

rylan Jul 16, 2020 8:34 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 32530217)

That is an issue I've found annoying... why does KE like to keep their cabins set at 24c / 75 F? Its nasty when you try to sleep and wake up sticking to the seat from sweating.

flyerCO Jul 16, 2020 10:16 am

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 32535809)
That is an issue I've found annoying... why does KE like to keep their cabins set at 24c / 75 F? Its nasty when you try to sleep and wake up sticking to the seat from sweating.

Asians in general enjoy warmer temps. My guess is due to their generally smaller size. Just as I a bigger American prefer it sub-fridgid

flyerCO Jul 16, 2020 10:19 am

Originally Posted by jj243 (Post 32534924)
I don’t necessarily agree with #4. KE Prestige window seat on the 777 is really spacious and has aisle access (seats are staggered). When you push the divider up with the neighboring seat, feels just like a suite.

The problem is the tightness. Width wise is the issue. All DL are aisle access so not an issue. KE still has regional (which BKK is) 2-2-2 with no all aisle access.

dcadwell Jul 16, 2020 10:31 am

I would definitely go D1. Enjoyed my last (seems like forever ago now...) DTW-ICN jaunt.