Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Flying BKK to USA (tbd) better F service (July 2020) Delta vs Korean Air?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying BKK to USA (tbd) better F service (July 2020) Delta vs Korean Air?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2020, 10:05 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
This all depends on the route the OP is flying. Plane type means different seat type. If it's a 747-8 that's the best biz (suite) and F seat (huge suite) for Korean Air. Some 777 have the same new seat, but many are the old lie flat. A380 also the old lie flat but has the bar.

I haven't seen anything in Korean media about reduced service, or anything on their site, but I haven't been looking a lot actually. Not many Korean flight review. Juding by this one - even in economy - it looks like full normal cabin service! https://cafe.naver.com/nyctourdesign/675341 He even ate food in the lounge so it looks like some type of buffet is active. Honestly, here in Korea everything is "normal" again these days it feels - just no one traveling internationally.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 1MM Platinum, UA 1k, HH Silver, BonVoy Platinum
I shouldn't be surprised at all the trauma this caused, but I was referring to J and I put that in post 3 "Delta One vs Korean Prestige". I do know and have experienced the difference between F and J and Y, I was careless after reading another post that was dealing with domestic Delta air travel. So please accept my apologies.

For those that gave info, thank you. I guess I need to start another thread about what the transit is like in Seoul given the current situation - flights are pretty empty it looks like so maybe not a lot of FT'ers on these routes nowadays.

For the record, I opted to fly A-350 Delta One Suites by using my Global Upgrades which were automatically applied (no waitlist) and the price was a fairly reasonable 1-way fare of just over $1k for BKK-ICN-DTW-MSP. Unfortunately still in Y from BKK-ICN but there is no solution for that unless I can buy an upgrade on KE but I've never been successful with that, maybe easier now. I will fly at the end of July if Thailand doesn't extend the visa amnesty and am happy that Delta is offering full refunds or changes to help with that. I will post my experiences. Cheers!
Milwaukee likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 9:27 am

Based on the guys who fly the things, DL
Old Jul 19, 2020, 11:57 pm

Programs: DL DM
Definitely let us know how it turns out! For the past several years I have been visiting BKK booked via DL, both during the NRT hub days on DL metal, and the last few years of ICN connections to KE. I still have a booking for this October to BKK made back around the beginning of the year for Loy Krathong this fall. Sadly I think the odds of a US citizen flying into Thailand for leisure purposes are very low for the remainder of 2020. Looking forward to the day I can fly back!
Old Jul 20, 2020, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 1MM Platinum, UA 1k, HH Silver, BonVoy Platinum
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
Definitely let us know how it turns out! For the past several years I have been visiting BKK booked via DL, both during the NRT hub days on DL metal, and the last few years of ICN connections to KE. I still have a booking for this October to BKK made back around the beginning of the year for Loy Krathong this fall. Sadly I think the odds of a US citizen flying into Thailand for leisure purposes are very low for the remainder of 2020. Looking forward to the day I can fly back!
Yeah, I agree. I have a work permit and valid business visa, but to return there are a lot of documents/insurance/test required, then pay around $2,000 for "Alternative State Quarantine" for 16 days/15 nights --> sounds easier to work from USA until things ease up a bit. For tourists, I think it's going to be next year at the earliest (except maybe for their proposed "travel bubbles"). I've lived here for nearly 15 years so it's kind of traumatic to be "kicked out" since border runs are no longer possible to refresh "90 day stays" based on valid visa, but there is a new announcement expected this week so we will see.

Cheers, Powers
Old Jul 20, 2020, 1:26 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by Powers106
Yeah, I agree. I have a work permit and valid business visa, but to return there are a lot of documents/insurance/test required, then pay around $2,000 for "Alternative State Quarantine" for 16 days/15 nights --> sounds easier to work from USA until things ease up a bit. For tourists, I think it's going to be next year at the earliest (except maybe for their proposed "travel bubbles"). I've lived here for nearly 15 years so it's kind of traumatic to be "kicked out" since border runs are no longer possible to refresh "90 day stays" based on valid visa, but there is a new announcement expected this week so we will see.

Cheers, Powers
I would expect them to open NE Asia, EU (and UK, Swiss, ..) and Australia in time for high season if nothing goes wrong.

US is a long shot. In theory a country can get it under control in a couple months. But that is not likely as things stand today here. Perhaps effective testing + decent reduction + a vaccine could change the story by Nov (I do not expect a vaccine to have any real effect by then, but will be a perception game changer).
Old Jul 22, 2020, 8:12 am

Programs: DL,US
So long as you like Taiwanese food, I would actually suggest CI if the times work for you. Seats a little better than DL, service better, entertainment not quite as good, but they don't keep cabins hot like Korean. And I find it's usually cheaper than DL no matter how you set it up.
Also, TPE is a nice place to stop with a great lounge (ICN is a marvelous airport, but the lounges stink in my experience. CI lounge is fantastic).
jj243 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by PupManS
So long as you like Taiwanese food, I would actually suggest CI if the times work for you. Seats a little better than DL, service better, entertainment not quite as good, but they don't keep cabins hot like Korean. And I find it's usually cheaper than DL no matter how you set it up.
Also, TPE is a nice place to stop with a great lounge (ICN is a marvelous airport, but the lounges stink in my experience. CI lounge is fantastic).
Only issue with CI is earnings in the DL program are awful.
MSPeconomist and jj243 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.