Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

why I did not see delta sell miles in 5 years?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2020, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador

Hi,

I searched the forum but did not find what I want, can i ask why delta did not sell miles in 5 years? I saw UA, AA, AS sell miles with promotions so frequently, but why delta does not do so?

Thx
Old Jul 12, 2020, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by yanyanlr
Hi,

I searched the forum but did not find what I want, can i ask why delta did not sell miles in 5 years? I saw UA, AA, AS sell miles with promotions so frequently, but why delta does not do so?

Thx
DL has done them. Just not as frequently and usually with less advertisement.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
with DL could sell more miles with bonus just like what UA and AA did recent years
Old Jul 12, 2020, 10:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Most of us don't find SkyMiles to be a particularly valuable currency to purchase at the exorbitant rates Delta charges, so buying miles is typically a small top-up transaction for most Delta flyers.

If you're interested in buying miles, they are usually for sale, and continue to be here today: https://www.delta.com/buygftxfer/displayBuyMiles.action

But the rates are a very poor value when purchased - $0.035 per mile, compared to the roughly $0.01 - $0.012 most sources value them at. For comparison, 2000 SkyMiles costs $70 - for fewer miles than the 2500 miles you receive as compensation for a checked bag taking an extra few minutes to be delivered.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

You are right, the rate is so poor...

i thought delta should have some buying promotions since you know, one of the big three did something, the other two will follow and make it worse.....
Old Jul 13, 2020, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Selling miles also creates a liability that they have to account for on their books. So it's not like it's entirely "free" money for them. You'd really have to talk to an insider about why they have seemingly placed a lower priority on pushing mileage sales for revenue generation than other airlines. Any responses you find here will be purely speculation. A few google searches indicates the last time than ran any promotions for mileage sales was back in 2012 (when they had 75% and 50% bonus promos at various points).
Old Jul 13, 2020, 11:01 am
Original Poster

you are right, DL has a unique approach here and seems we know little about it....
Old Jul 13, 2020, 12:33 pm
Suspended

1. Their miles are practically worthless , but to each their own.

2. Regardless of what I believe their value is, DL is one hell of a run organization overall and certainly know what they are doing.

None of us here will fully understand since we aren’t an Executive for Delta, but they aren’t incompetent.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

but DL has the most net profits in us airlines, net profits are top ranking over the world, maybe they could do what ever they want

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.