Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Even Exchanged my Flight even though I canceled!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2020, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat

I don't know if this has happened to anyone else I am so stoked I didn't want to search.

I canceled my flight back in March because of COVID and took the credit. My flight flew without me and I was happy.

I tried to rebook the flight today, and well I couldn't, the ecredit wasn't showing a value. So I called Delta they saw the e-credit and helped me book the flight. Told me there was a difference in fair that I would be on the hook for, which I knew and I was ok with paying, as the flights this time of year are always more expensive than march sometimes triple in price.

I had my AMEX ready to pay the fair difference when the Salt Lake City rep asked if he could place me on hold on for 10 minutes. Turned into a 17-minute hold and when he came back he gave me the good news, I wouldn't have to pay the fare difference, his supervisor even exchanged the ticket!

Saved me 400 bucks!
Zorak, basecamp, JPG3392 and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 10:26 am

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
DL has been great with the even exchanges. I only have 1 upcoming trip (on miles) but I changed it at least 4 times, and they always made the even exchange work. Seems like definitely something worth staying on hold for, or asking for.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 11:54 am

Programs: Delta PM, SPG, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Ambassador, CLEAR/Global Entry
During this pandemic, The CS folks and their supervisors i have had to contend with have been great so far. I will say that they have been given much greater latitude to accommodate passengers. We'll see how much longer this goes on til.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 7:41 pm

Programs: Delta PM, KLM Gold
They just did an absolutely insane exchange for me as well.

Booked BUD-AMS-SEA-HNL-LAX-AMS-BUD on an error fare in I for $500. Was pretty excited because AMS-SEA would be my first time in Suites.

Mid-corona the whole itinerary disappeared and was given the option to rebook BUD-AMS-YVR-HNL-YVR-AMS-BUD which were all codeshare on KL/WS.

Called a few times and ended up asking them for specific routing with VS I wanted: BUD-AMS-LHR-LAX-HNL-LAX-LHR-AMS-BUD.

VS is pretty much the only carrier right now who has scheduled an A350 in October.

Change fee: $4500. Supervisor waived it.
HWGeeks likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iamjesse
They just did an absolutely insane exchange for me as well.

Booked BUD-AMS-SEA-HNL-LAX-AMS-BUD on an error fare in I for $500. Was pretty excited because AMS-SEA would be my first time in Suites.

Mid-corona the whole itinerary disappeared
Sounds like you had flight cancellations - that's a different scenario than the OP, who was making a voluntary change.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 8:34 pm

Programs: Delta PM, KLM Gold
Originally Posted by aacar
Sounds like you had flight cancellations - that's a different scenario than the OP, who was making a voluntary change.
I did, but normally they would only rebook in the same fare class (I) on that routing through YVR.

This change was also considered voluntary (especially because they let me add a 2 day stopover in LAX), so just another example of great customer service.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iamjesse
I did, but normally they would only rebook in the same fare class (I) on that routing through YVR.

This change was also considered voluntary (especially because they let me add a 2 day stopover in LAX), so just another example of great customer service.
There aren't typically any fare class or routing restrictions when rebooking due to schedule changes (at least on DL - I believe AF was requiring the same booking class for date changes). And the fare you're referring to (which I also booked) is fully flexible, with stopovers permitted for free.

Though I agree that, in general, Delta is much more accommodating and willing to bend the rules than other carriers. In fact, they waived over $1k in fare differences for me just yesterday for voluntary changes on domestic reservations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.