Question about flight to Europe

Old Jul 4, 20, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Question about flight to Europe

Last year I booked a flight to Greece via JFK that is leaving in 3 weeks (25th). Because EU travel restrictions did not ease up supposedly Delta will resume this route only in August and I can no longer book the flight we are on (DL0202) but for some reason our reservation is still active.

As the flight is in 3 weeks should I go ahead and rebook through Germany (which would add a very long layover and for all I know could be canceled as well) or keep the reservation as is?

thank you.
Old Jul 4, 20, 1:53 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by bswt2 View Post
Last year I booked a flight to Greece via JFK that is leaving in 3 weeks (25th). Because EU travel restrictions did not ease up supposedly Delta will resume this route only in August and I can no longer book the flight we are on (DL0202) but for some reason our reservation is still active.

As the flight is in 3 weeks should I go ahead and rebook through Germany (which would add a very long layover and for all I know could be canceled as well) or keep the reservation as is?

thank you.
If the flight is indeed canceled your reservation will eventually update (usually by the end of weekend one all schedule changes are loaded). Then you will have a better picture of how you’ve been rebooked (if at all) as well as a more accurate picture of what options are available.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Jul 4, 20, 2:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Are you still able to travel under the revised EU and then Greek restrictions as they apply to those traveling from the US?
Old Jul 4, 20, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I wouldn't count on that route sticking in August or being allowed into Europe if you are an American citizen unless you have some mitigating circumstances that get you around the current travel ban.
Old Jul 4, 20, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

I am a E.U. Citizen and my wife is a U.S. citizen (she should fall under the family member exception).
Old Jul 4, 20, 3:19 pm

Schedule change Saturday. Your reservation will update by tomorrow.
Old Jul 4, 20, 6:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Discovery Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Gold,
I am a E.U. Citizen and my wife is a U.S. citizen (she should fall under the family member exception).
As an EU/Schengen citizen you are (per TIMATIC and my current understanding) allowed in to Greece, and your wife likewise as a spouse of an EU/Schengen citizen however there are probably not enough people in your circumstance to warrant Delta running the originally-booked flight..

Your booking should update in the next couple of days, and you should be offered a re-route by DL to get you to your destination, however it might be a good idea to research possible alternative routes yourself so that you can call them up and ask them to re-book you into something that is convenient for you rather than whatever random alternative they might come up with. Delta or codeshares on Air France / KLM via Paris or Amsterdam look feasible on ITA Matrix for your outbound date of 25th with only a short layover in CDG/AMS so ideally re-booking on alternative routes won't present insurmountable problems for you.

Be aware that there might be additional preventative health measures (e.g. 'quarantine' or self-isolation) in force for arrivals from your location that you will still need to comply with ( per IATA "2. Passengers are subject to medical screening and quarantine for 1 or 14 days." - exactly how many days will probably depend on where you came from, where you've been recently, and what passport you hold).
Old Jul 4, 20, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, I was thinking about just taking a credit from Delta and rebooking on Lufthansa and going through Frankfurt as I should be able to stay in the transit zone and avoid any restrictions or testing on their side.
Old Jul 4, 20, 8:12 pm

Programs: DL DM 3MM 360
A good resource for EU restrictions can be reviewed here:

https://www.universalweather.com/blo...ion-in-europe/
Old Jul 5, 20, 12:44 am

Programs: Delta Diamond 2MM, AMEX Delta Reserve, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
This is good information from the US Embassy in Greece, updated regularly...

https://gr.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/
Old Jul 5, 20, 6:11 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Thank you, I was thinking about just taking a credit from Delta and rebooking on Lufthansa and going through Frankfurt as I should be able to stay in the transit zone and avoid any restrictions or testing on their side.
If there is a significant schedule change on DL's part, you should be able to obtain a refund from DL to your original form of payment rather than just a credit.
Old Jul 5, 20, 6:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
TIMATIC will be your best source because it is what DL will rely on at check-in to determine whether it permits you to board. You have not provided your citizenship, beyond "EU" and that does not help much here. Presuming that you are a US resident, albeit with citizenship of an EU Member State, you will not be permitted entry to the EU at this point, although your country of citizenship cannot deny you entry (seems contradictory and it is, but there you have it). Thus, fly to your country of citizenship, quarantine / isolate there and then fly on to Greece. If you are a Greek national, then this is all collapsed.

Current TIMATIC check for an individual with Greek citizenship, US residency, destined for Greece with a transit in Germany is that there are no special requirements beyond a passport. Note that there are no current nonstops from the US to Greece.

As with all things during the pandemic, keep checking to make certain that nothing changes, especially for the transit, between now and departure. Also, confirm quarantine/isolation requirements on arrival to Greece and return to US (if that is part of the plan).

Last edited by Often1; Jul 5, 20 at 10:53 am
Old Jul 5, 20, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
As you do not reside in a country from where entry is permitted, I do not believe you are permitted to enter Greece. This includes circumventing via arriving through a permitted entry country. Probably best to get a refund or travel credit as I suspect you’ll be denied boarding the first flight.
Old Jul 5, 20, 8:51 am

Ideally, you would use your country of citizenship as the first entry point. Make sure to bring your marriage license.
Old Jul 5, 20, 11:59 am

Programs: DL DM 3MM 360
EU citizens and their immediate family members are not barred from entering the EU from the US. This has been going on since March without issue.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-...ng-pandemic_en

Search this Thread
Search Engine: