Recheck baggage

Old Jun 29, 20, 8:10 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 2
Recheck baggage

I have a ticket from GNV->ATL (delta) then ATL->ICN (one ticket) (KE), and also a separate ticket from ICN->BEJ (airline with baggage agreement for KE but no delta) (around 22 hours).

If I need to check baggage, is it possible to require check my baggage to GNV->ATL only, then recheck the baggage at ATL at KE counter, so that I can check by baggage from ATL->ICN->BEJ?

Or should I buy two separate ticket, GNV->ATL, ATL-> ICN to do that?
Tim Tsang is offline  
Old Jun 29, 20, 8:16 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Now in SLC
Programs: DL DM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Posts: 2,979
Two questions:

1. How long is the connection in ATL?
2. If you can get the bag back in ATL, are you certain KE in ATL will let you check the bag through to that other airline on a separate ticket? I'm not familiar with KE's policies, but in general, just because two airlines are partners doesn't mean you can check bags between them on separate tickets.
LoganFlyer is online now  
Old Jun 29, 20, 8:19 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer View Post
Two questions:

1. How long is the connection in ATL?
2. If you can get the bag back in ATL, are you certain KE in ATL will let you check the bag through to that other airline on a separate ticket? I'm not familiar with KE's policies, but in general, just because two airlines are partners doesn't mean you can check bags between them on separate tickets.
Thanks.
1. ~2 hours and 30 mins
2. I have friends done that 2 weeks ago and should be OK. But not sure if I can get my baggage back in a connected ticket.
Tim Tsang is offline  
Old Jun 29, 20, 8:30 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Now in SLC
Programs: DL DM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Posts: 2,979
I've never tried myself, but as I understand the rule, DL won't short-check a bag (meaning check it to an intermediate city instead of your ticket's final destination) unless the connection is at least 6 hours. So if you want to get the bag back in ATL, you'll need to book the DL & KE segments as two separate tickets.
LoganFlyer is online now  
Old Jun 30, 20, 4:31 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: CHA
Programs: DL-DM (MM), Marriott LifeTi, Hertz-PC
Posts: 532
My experience in short checking had to do with getting my bags to clear a Carnet (customs documents for expensive equipment).
Counter check-in was certain that it couldn't be done, but Redcoat came along and pushed it through....but I had a legitimate legal reason for the short check.

Agree with LoganFlyer about checking bags through on a 'partner' airline. Last year, into TPE through NRT, 3x bags got checked all the way through (D1 cabin) on CI (a tier 3 partner).
But on the return, flying KE out of TPE through ICN (connecting onto DL metal: D1, on fully booked DL ticket), they were not having any of the 3x bags and I got to pay the $200 - even tho they are a tier 1 partner.
BHammy is offline  
Old Jun 30, 20, 5:24 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hotlanta.
Programs: I've gone underground!
Posts: 3,451
I wouldn’t really want to get off a plane in ATL, go to baggage claim, wait, get bag, wait, get the bus to international, recheck bag, clear TSA, and then walk to the gate.

The bag retrieval itself is ~30 minutes, bus is ~30 min with waiting and the ride, and recheck plus TSA is another 30.
emma dog is offline  
Old Jul 1, 20, 12:01 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: RDU
Programs: DL DM(segs)/MM, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Posts: 2,690
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer View Post
I've never tried myself, but as I understand the rule, DL won't short-check a bag (meaning check it to an intermediate city instead of your ticket's final destination) unless the connection is at least 6 hours. So if you want to get the bag back in ATL, you'll need to book the DL & KE segments as two separate tickets.
Former agent here (not for DL, but likely with similar policies). Agents are highly discouraged from short checking bags. Because if pax doesn't pick it up and files a claim at their final destination, the originating station gets dinged with the lost bag charge (figuratively, but they do code each failure to a station and reason). It's been almost two decades since I was an agent, perhaps they have removed the ability for agents to short check bags.
HDQDD is offline  
Old Jul 2, 20, 12:04 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 17,943
Originally Posted by HDQDD View Post
Former agent here (not for DL, but likely with similar policies). Agents are highly discouraged from short checking bags. Because if pax doesn't pick it up and files a claim at their final destination, the originating station gets dinged with the lost bag charge (figuratively, but they do code each failure to a station and reason). It's been almost two decades since I was an agent, perhaps they have removed the ability for agents to short check bags.
It's still there. However DL doesn't do it for sub 6hr connections. Helps keep people from booking connecting tickets and skipping connection.
flyerCO is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: