Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pay baggage fees with two credit cards?

Old Jun 25, 20, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles

Iím flying HND-SEA in a couple weeks and thru status and D1 my understanding is I have three free checked bags, but Iím needing to check in five. I have a Hilton Aspire and Amex Platinum which Iíd like to split to pay the baggage fees and take advantage of both of their fee credits. But that all depends on Delta accepting two cards to pay the baggage fees. Does anyone know if this is possible online or at the check in counter?
Old Jun 26, 20, 4:27 am

Programs: DL PM
Should be no problem as long as you donít get into putting fractions of bags on each card.
Old Jun 26, 20, 10:23 am

Just in case you weren't aware, the baggage fees for fourth and fifth bags are $200 each. Now that I think about it, I suppose that is why you want to split between cards?
Old Jun 26, 20, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL-DM (MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
But if you have a Media badge, bags 4-25, up to 100lbs are only $70 each....just sayin'.
Old Jun 27, 20, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
Just in case you weren't aware, the baggage fees for fourth and fifth bags are $200 each. Now that I think about it, I suppose that is why you want to split between cards?
Yep exactly! If I canít use both, the aspire has a $250 credit so it would be better as a single card if I couldnít split the charges.

Originally Posted by BHammy View Post
But if you have a Media badge, bags 4-25, up to 100lbs are only $70 each....just sayin'.
Sounds like a great deal! Iím trying to look into it but I canít find details about the sign up process. Is it something I can do in a weeks time? I do own a entertainment/gaming business if thatís relevant for qualifying.
Old Jun 28, 20, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by sqpat17 View Post
Sounds like a great deal! .... Is it something I can do in a weeks time? I do own a entertainment/gaming business if thatís relevant for qualifying.
It might be something you can do in 10 minute's time with Photoshop and then laminate at Staples. (not necessarily speaking from experience, but I too have a photo company that it applies for.)
Old Jul 2, 20, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
It might be something you can do in 10 minute's time with Photoshop and then laminate at Staples. (not necessarily speaking from experience, but I too have a photo company that it applies for.)
I thought DL restricted the process due to abuse.
Old Jul 2, 20, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
I thought DL restricted the process due to abuse.
I've been using it without question/concern for the past 10 years both domestic and internationally.
Old Jul 3, 20, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
I've been using it without question/concern for the past 10 years both domestic and internationally.

Media Rate Baggage policy change

Did they not implement this?
Old Jul 5, 20, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Media Rate Baggage policy change

Did they not implement this?

Last year's annual flight to OZ/NZ was on Oct 19th - two weeks after Delta's announcement, and there was no kickback from CHA agents nor LAX at recheck after carnet.
But that wouldn't surprise me that Delta makes a decision, publishes it, and then puts in on the slow boat to tell agents!

Didn't realize there was a new rule of 72...looks like as of Feb, 2020, they have updated the verbiage to this:

"All media-related passengers seeking to receive preferred media baggage rates must present proper media credentials at check-in, or request preferred baggage pricing and submit media credentials by e-mailing the Global Sales & Support desk at [email protected] at least 24 hours prior to scheduled departure for all travel on or after February 24, 2020."
https://www.delta.com/us/en/baggage/...ky-other-items

As of that verbiage, it's no different than what I've been doing: "present proper media credentials at check-in"
Old Jul 6, 20, 6:16 am
Original Poster

In the end they didnít let me do it. They said it wasnít possible, but I supposed maybe they didnít know how to do it or didnít want to.

I considered paying for bag 4 at the kiosk then adding one more at the check in counter but thought there was a possibility that might cause issues.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: