Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How are upgrade lists in the 2020 CoronaVirus Era?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How are upgrade lists in the 2020 CoronaVirus Era?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2020, 9:36 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I do wonder which is better in the current climate: An upgrade to F with a pax next to me; or a C+ seat in which the middle seat is guaranteed to be empty?
Isn't DL still blocking half of F?
Old Jul 26, 2020, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by hhdl
Isn't DL still blocking half of F?
If they are, then that solves that issue. Last I tried to book, it showed aisle F seats as taken, not blocked, with all the window seats open, so it was confusing.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 1:06 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, AA Plat Pro, F9 Elite 100k
If they are, then that solves that issue. Last I tried to book, it showed aisle F seats as taken, not blocked, with all the window seats open, so it was confusing.
They are. I'm on a flight right now.

First flight today, MCO-ATL I was #2 for 1 available. Didn't make the cut to F. Already had a C+ seat.

ATL-DEN I was #3 for 1 available. The two in front of me vanished from the list and I'm now in F. Not a single person up here has a seat neighbor. Half blocked.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 2:41 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
How long ago? There were web site and app updates in the last... maybe 2 weeks? ... that made it clearer when a seat is blocked vs. assigned (it was definitely confusing before then).

Although given the state of DL IT it wouldn't surprise me if there are still some lingering issues here and there.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL DM
I do wonder which is better in the current climate: An upgrade to F with a pax next to me; or a C+ seat in which the middle seat is guaranteed to be empty?
delta does not sit anyone in the seat adjacent to you in F, unless of course it is someone traveling with you.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 4:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Zorak
How long ago? There were web site and app updates in the last... maybe 2 weeks? ... that made it clearer when a seat is blocked vs. assigned (it was definitely confusing before then).

Although given the state of DL IT it wouldn't surprise me if there are still some lingering issues here and there.
The seat maps on EF are usually good for distinguishing blocked versus occupied seats.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 4:45 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The seat maps on EF are usually good for distinguishing blocked versus occupied seats.
Yes, but nicer that the DL app now shows this correctly so you don't have to go to a 3rd party website to find out
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by bsagator
And the one flight I wasn't upgraded on was an LAX-ATL redeye where they pulled two non revs out of Y instead of giving me the upgrade as I was #1 on list.
Did you file a complaint? They really aren't supposed to do that.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by bsagator
delta does not sit anyone in the seat adjacent to you in F, unless of course it is someone traveling with you.
And if there's a couple in F, they won't allow anyone into the empty pair of seats.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 10:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sethb
And if there's a couple in F, they won't allow anyone into the empty pair of seats.
That's crazy. Its DL trying to give the couple the option to have a fight and break up during the flight?
Old Jul 27, 2020, 5:38 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I had an RUC upg req. C+ to F for a flt. on 7/30. Yesterday I was re-checking my status and noticed "waitlist req." was no longer showing = I was able to select a FC seat. DL sent me no notification, in "theory" if I waited a day or two could/would I have lost my upgrade, since only 1/2 the FC seats now are available?
For this particular flt. there are still lots of empty seats. [ About 2 weeks ago they were trying to sell the upg. for $1200.]
Old Jul 27, 2020, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That's crazy. Its DL trying to give the couple the option to have a fight and break up during the flight?
Their policy is to book F to 50% only. (I don't know what it is on planes with 1-2 in F.)

Likewise, they book Y to 60%; since ACDF is 66.6%, they leave some rows empty (even more if there are families traveling together and seated together).

The only upside is BE won't put you in a middle seat
Old Jul 27, 2020, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by sethb
Their policy is to book F to 50% only. (I don't know what it is on planes with 1-2 in F.)

Likewise, they book Y to 60%; since ACDF is 66.6%, they leave some rows empty (even more if there are families traveling together and seated together).

The only upside is BE won't put you in a middle seat
Correct. Right now in F (and on planes with only 2 seats in Y) DL will leave both seats open for selection (so couples can sit together) but if you are a solo traveler will block off the seat next to you after you select it. Ed Bastian has said that the seat blocking (middles and select aisle/window if only 2 seats) will continue past September 30th, but the 50/60% cap will be lifted to allow couples/families traveling together to sit together and not count against the capacity restrictions.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 8:50 am

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Correct. Right now in F (and on planes with only 2 seats in Y) DL will leave both seats open for selection (so couples can sit together) but if you are a solo traveler will block off the seat next to you after you select it. Ed Bastian has said that the seat blocking (middles and select aisle/window if only 2 seats) will continue past September 30th, but the 50/60% cap will be lifted to allow couples/families traveling together to sit together and not count against the capacity restrictions.
You can sit where you want. Mrs. P. and I sat in aisle seats. No no one was upgraded but 8 on list. 2 families of 4 sat in the same row. 2 rows were empty.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 8:52 am

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
What happens when there's 2 people in the PNR? Do they both get the same seats next to each other? I assume the FC is windows only or something like that.
You can sit where you want. Mrs. P. and I sat in aisle seats. No no one was upgraded but 8 on list. 2 families of 4 each sat in the same row. 2 rows were empty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.