Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is Delta using COVID-19 as an excuse to give bad service and save money?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2020, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond 3MM, AMEX Delta Reserve, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite

Finishing up my first trip since March and I see a lot of differences that Delta is blaming on the virus, but appears mainly to save money.

My list

1) 9 hour hold times on the so-called ‘elite’ number.
2) Serving ziplock bags with bottled water and random snacks. They could still give out unopened alcohol miniatures and mixers,
3) They seem to be able to serve mixed drinks in the few SkyClubs that are open, but the food choices are basically the prepackaged stuff they have on planes, when they could have sealed prepared items like they use for First Class dinners.
4) Upgrade lists that apparently still include blocked seats, so they are basically worthless.
5) Short staffing airports so that gate agents don’t appear sometimes until after the scheduled boarding times.

I’m sure that there’s more, but that’s what I’ve experienced so far...
Old Jun 14, 2020, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by EarlVolFan
Finishing up my first trip since March and I see a lot of differences that Delta is blaming on the virus, but appears mainly to save money.

My list

1) 9 hour hold times on the so-called ‘elite’ number.
2) Serving ziplock bags with bottled water and random snacks. They could still give out unopened alcohol miniatures and mixers,
3) They seem to be able to serve mixed drinks in the few SkyClubs that are open, but the food choices are basically the prepackaged stuff they have on planes, when they could have sealed prepared items like they use for First Class dinners.
4) Upgrade lists that apparently still include blocked seats, so they are basically worthless.
5) Short staffing airports so that gate agents don’t appear sometimes until after the scheduled boarding times.

I’m sure that there’s more, but that’s what I’ve experienced so far...
Add in no lines to check/drop bags for elites.
JesseRohr likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 6:55 am

Programs: DL DM Hilton Diamond WN A List
I'm going to say they aren't doing it intentionally. But it has to be a result of their attempt to survive. I'll admit it's so different. I'm flying AA a lot now out of TPA. I was able to book two trips to LAX on DL, but one of the returns has to be on WN. Just no lift available. I haven't attempted to call them yet.

Safe Travels
Old Jun 14, 2020, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by TPAtoAnywhere
I'm going to say they aren't doing it intentionally. But it has to be a result of their attempt to survive. I'll admit it's so different. I'm flying AA a lot now out of TPA. I was able to book two trips to LAX on DL, but one of the returns has to be on WN. Just no lift available. I haven't attempted to call them yet.

Safe Travels
My 3 upcoming trips out of ATL are on WN and AA as no DL flights offered/available.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 8:25 am

Programs: Delta PM, LATAM Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton, Hertz Gold, Silvercar, Sixt
I'd suggest this strategy is being done to lose less money at this critical time. And the cash burn is still huge, IIRC...$50 million per day, right? Yes, the FC food/drink and SC food could be improved, and maybe the burn is $51 million/day instead? Maybe Ed Bastian & Co are selling a "we're all in this together, nothing is off the table" as far as cuts go. Yes, flights still cost, but to me, if you're going somewhere, no need to pay for FC until you're on a 4h+ flight. Less than 4h, sitting in Main gets you leg room and (most cases) IFE. BYOB (not that I'm endorsing such a thing), et voila, you're almost flying like F, for half price or less. And don't forget, there are lease payments on a slew of aircraft in deserts and fields around the country, for all airlines.
When business flying rebounds (probably 2021, my own miserably educated guess), then we'll see more perks, due to higher cashflow into Delta's coffers. But some things will never come back. I'll miss Sky magazine.
I'm thinking once October 1 rolls around, we'll have a clear picture of very different outcomes for the summer strategies adopted by the Big 4. Which will have been the most sound and kept most staff employed beyond that date? I'm gonna bet on Delta.
BearX220, Revelate and ryw like this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 9:29 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by EarlVolFan

i don't see how this is a cost saving mechanism. I do think it is aligned with their strategy to reduce passenger density, which seems to be popular with the majority of the traveling public. I was talking with a GA and the reason they have the full number as the number of available is they can put a traveling pair together. The GA wanted to upgrade me (I was #2 and #3 ) because they could put 2 in F and free up 2 seats in C+ (they were oversold in C+). The GA asked the red coat, who opted to downgrade the overbooked C+ to Main.

So, they don't know if F will be at 50% capacity or a bit higher until they start boarding.

FWIW, based on my experience, my upgrade percentage seems to be down by about 30%.
DiverDave and TXguy like this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 10:15 am

Programs: DL PM
The food and drink issue is reasonable to complain about.

The blocked seats are not a cost-saving mechanism. In fact, they are GREATLY increasing costs (by having to fly empty seats around). That is a very pro-customer, pro-public health move.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 10:50 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Delta has proven to be on the very cautious side when it comes to serving passengers during this virus. I did fly Southwest and was not served anything for a 4.5 hr flight to LA. My flight on Delta I was given a bag with Cheez-Its, Biscoff and a water bottle.
I think they are trying to cut costs in any way possible which makes total sense to me.

Why does having status entitle you to first class when that would mean "breaking" the social distancing measures they have been taking? Plus, it's not like they are doing a meal service anyways. Most of your complains seem a little tone deaf to what's going on in the industry right now. Many companies are in survival mode. Hopefully they realize this can't continue ones the virus is not as serious.

I think every airline is using this virus as an excuse to let their service drop in quality. Don't attack me for saying this, but I think the blocking seats are unnecessary. Cutting tons of flights I realize was a cost saving effort, but they are losing out on business because I can no longer rely on Delta's schedule to get me where I need to go in a timely manor.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 11:53 am

Programs: Lame Duck Delta PM, Freshly Minted AA EXP
Hasn't every economic downturn been used as "an excuse" by the airlines to reduce service and save money?
Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
I don't have a beef with the prepackaged snack/water bags. It keeps things simple at a time when flying is reduced to a necessity. Any sort of individual ordering adds a lot more contact between passengers and FAs. In my experience, gate agents and the app have been doing a great job warning passengers that only water and snacks will be served.
Biscoff27 and dtwlarry like this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:23 pm

Hey, Do you happen to know if the ticket counter is open at the Atlanta airport? I need to make some corrections to a booking that can't be done online and various other things where I need to deal with a live person. I have been trying to reach someone for a week.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by chrispyw1111
Hey, Do you happen to know if the ticket counter is open at the Atlanta airport? I need to make some corrections to a booking that can't be done online and various other things where I need to deal with a live person. I have been trying to reach someone for a week.
Call DL in Singapore. They answer quickly and highly professional and competent staff.
Auto Enthusiast and arunhn like this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:42 pm

Okay, I will try that. Thank you so much!
Old Jun 14, 2020, 1:34 pm

Only a 28 minute hold time on DL USA now as a PM. I am shocked. They seem to be forwarding US calls now to international DL reps which is a lot better than waiting for hours on hold.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Jun 14, 2020 at 2:46 pm
Old Jun 14, 2020, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
EVERYBODY is using Covid for EVERYTHING to excuse poor service and doing NOTHING

Can't even get my cable fixed though lockdowns were over for me weeks ago

At least DL gives water.....A friend of mine flew UA last week and got nothing

Lost year apparently

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.