New Delta-GoGo Contract

Old Jun 11, 20, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
New Delta-GoGo Contract

Delta has negotiated a new contract with GoGo that allows other wi-fi providers to bid on providing internet within the fleet. Previously, it was an exclusive contract with GoGo. The new deal also gives Delta more control over pricing.

https://paxex.aero/2020/06/delta-gogo-contract-changes/
Old Jun 11, 20, 11:50 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Smart move by Delta. The article suggests these changes were necessary for DL to achieve their desire to provide free WiFi across the fleet.
Old Jun 11, 20, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Wonder how much Gogo is hurting from all of the flight reductions... and especially business travel being almost zero.
Old Jun 11, 20, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL GM; HH gold
Originally Posted by rylan View Post
Wonder how much Gogo is hurting from all of the flight reductions... and especially business travel being almost zero.
I'm sure Gogo is hurting, but personally from a glass-half-full perspective, not having business travel gives me the perk of not having to be frustrated by Gogo's terrible wifi connections.
AANYC1981, Duke787, Spiff and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 11, 20, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL DM(segs)/MM, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
I thought DL was going to move to free Wifi? I recall reading that here a year or so ago.
Old Jun 11, 20, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by HDQDD View Post
I thought DL was going to move to free Wifi? I recall reading that here a year or so ago.
No, they do not have free WiFi yet. Not yet. They haven't decide it yet.
HDQDD likes this.
Old Jun 11, 20, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by woodenshoe101 View Post
I'm sure Gogo is hurting, but personally from a glass-half-full perspective, not having business travel gives me the perk of not having to be frustrated by Gogo's terrible wifi connections.
Gogo should be plenty fast with almost nobody on board using it currently
Old Jun 11, 20, 2:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd expect GoGo to have a lot of business subscription contracts paid by employers. I'm not sure how quickly those have been cancelled.
Old Jun 11, 20, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Sounds like GoGo doesn't have enough capacity to meet Delta's needs. From the below article, contract expirations were moved up to 2020-2022 from 2027.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-new-suppliers
Old Jun 11, 20, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LTT, DL Gold
Originally Posted by woodenshoe101 View Post
Better that than United's crappy satellite wifi, at least!
Old Jun 11, 20, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I only liked GoGo when I got free passes via Amex. Now that that’s over, I say dump it in favor of something better.
Peatisback and EarlVolFan like this.
Old Jun 11, 20, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I'd expect GoGo to have a lot of business subscription contracts paid by employers. I'm not sure how quickly those have been cancelled.
FWIW, I cx’d ours end of April. At this point, I don’t see renewing it until end of July, at the earliest.
Old Jun 12, 20, 4:17 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
No, they do not have free WiFi yet. Not yet. They haven't decide it yet.
And I pray they don't. On business routes the Wifi is already garbage - and not just because of latency inherent in satellites but because of

100 mbps a plane may have sounded like a lot 5 years ago when 2ku was first being rolled out (and certainly dreamy compared to the <10 mbps that A2G had, albeit with serious latency consequences), but it's basically nothing now. With everything SaaS and live documents in the cloud, you burn through bandwidth very quickly. On any business traveler heavy route it's incredibly slow and flaky. I find it hilarious that they advertise video streaming on those flights as even getting a 60 second YouTube video to load at 480p takes 5 minutes. It just doesn't work.

I realize the free WiFi tier would have limitations (basically an extension of the free WiFi tier today.. lightweight web browsing, no video), but it's already garbage enough as is. To deliver a quality free product with few limitations would require 500 mbps+ per plane in my opinion - with a gigabit being ideal.

Last edited by ethernal; Jun 12, 20 at 4:30 am
Old Jun 12, 20, 8:32 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, AA Gold
Well, I'll be disappointed if they move to multiple suppliers like AA. I don't have a subscription, but I do get an hour free on each flight as part of my T-Mobile plan. When I travel internationally, I usually pay the extra $15 for the month to upgrade to the higher level T-Mobile plan which includes unlimited GoGo and faster data abroad. One nice thing about DL is knowing I'll be able to use this perk; with AA it's almost never available unless flying WiFi-equipped regional jets domestically and is a crapshoot internationally.
Old Jun 13, 20, 7:31 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
DL should just acquire a company that does this. This is an aspect of the user experience they are going to have to master. Multiple carriers is not the answer - users need a seamless experience.
cmd320 and ryw like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: