Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Comfort Plus vs. Premium Select to Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2020, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

Originally, I had a great trip planned to Italy as my daughter's 16th birthday present. Fly into Rome, spend a few days in Florence, head to Venice, catch a cruise ship back to Rome and a few days there before flying home. The virus nixed that plan. I'm now considering taking her over spring break next year (somewhere around 3/25 to 4/4)

I'm watching flights and plan to pick one up before Delta gets rid of their "no change fee" option, which is currently set to expire 6/30 (though was extended last week so they may extend it again). Since this trip will be shorter and won't involve a cruise, I'm considering springing for premium select. (I flew that to Korea for my son's 16th last year and it was great, a real treat). The other option is comfort plus - an upgrade from regular economy, but not as nice as premium. I'm looking for opinions from people who have flown both. I personally don't consider a flight to Europe very long as our typical international flight is 13 hours to Korea (and have been to Sydney, with a 16 hr flight) so I'm not as concerned about sleeping comfort. I guess my big concern is that premium select will cost me about $1300 more between the two of us. While I can afford that, I'm most concerned that we'll have to change or cancel this trip due to the virus again and I'm trying to decide if I want to have that much money tied up with Delta.

Obviously no one can make that decision for me, but I'm having trouble finding decent comparisons in differences between comfort plus and premium select that are recent (I suspect things have changed a bit since premium select was introduced so not sure what comfort plus looks like these days with features). If it makes a difference, the flight there would be on Delta no matter which class we flew, but the flight back would be Delta if we went comfort plus, but Air France if we did premium economy.

If I knew the flight would go, I'd probably pay for premium select. I guess my hesitation is really around us wanting to change the flight later due to COVID and then having an even larger airline credit.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 9:52 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
I have no knowledge of Y+ on DL intl or Premium on AF, but can tell you Premium on DL is quite good, I'm guessing AF is as well (I've seen the seats but I have always been in J on AF).

Get the bulkhead on the 2 side in DL PS.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
What plane type is scheduled? If we're talking the A359, I would rather take row 40 -- you'll have more legroom than any seat in PS and if you're talking A339 the same is true for row 42. I certainly woudn't spend $1300 extra dollars on the relatively short flight to Europe if the those exit row seats are open.

Where are you based? Assuming either JFK or BOS for the flight to FCO you're talking about ~7-9 hours in each direction. What's the cost to do Y in one direction and PS in the other? Might consider doing Y on the eastbound (because it's such a short flight you won't get much added value for the PS seat in terms of sleeping assuming you are able to sleep in a non-lie flat) and then take PS on the return for the longer daytime flight where the extra space and higher level of service makes more of an impact.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 12:50 pm

If you can afford it, go for premium economy. However, AF's PY seat doesn't always get rave reviews for its fixed shell design.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
AF Premium Economy doesn't have much, if any difference in service than the Y cabin. It's only a "bigger/better" seat, the extent of which depends on whether it's a recently refurbished seat or not.

I agree with the above poster that perhaps the Exit row/C+ seats on the outbound and PS on the return?
Old Jun 5, 2020, 6:18 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
So delta C+ is just extra room compared to economy, and PE has a better seat and service/food normally. Its a nicer product for sure. For AF PE is nice as it again has significantly better seats than economy and better food and beverage & have enjoyed the AF experience inflight. I’d definitely do AF PE over Delta C+ if its the same price!
ExArkie likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
So delta C+ is just extra room compared to economy, and PE has a better seat and service/food normally. Its a nicer product for sure. For AF PE is nice as it again has significantly better seats than economy and better food and beverage & have enjoyed the AF experience inflight. I’d definitely do AF PE over Delta C+ if its the same price!
Agree if same price but OP cited a $1300 cost and for TATL I don’t think it’s worth it. If TPAC or Australia would be a different story.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 2:47 am

I’ve recently purchased a flight next year from Atlanta to jo’burg in premium economy on delta, and your comments have all made me glad I did! Thanks!
Old Jun 6, 2020, 6:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There could be lots of schedule and aircraft changes by the time you travel and the options for being rebooked in C+ or PS could be limited. Also, if you're planning to pay more for PS F&B, check what the current service standards are. Just in case, document what the cheapest regular coach and C+ fares are at the time you buy the tickets so you can get the correct refund if you're downgraded.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 8:12 am

Yes, I won’t be surprised if this trip never comes to pass. I got an incredible deal for the upgrade from economy, even without any food, etc it is well worth it. However, I’m very realistic, understanding that things could change drastically. Thanks for your comment.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL DM
I will echo MSP’s caution about the strong possibility of schedule and aircraft changes between now and then. Normally I say to go for whatever you can afford (we all deserve a nice treat!) but I have run into issues where I have booked C+ and been rebooked on planes where C+ no longer exists and thus downgraded to Y. I have also had the opposite where I was in PS and thus downgraded to C+. It can be tricky and a headache to get downgrade compensation plus a refund after travel is flown.

I guess if it was me I would go with whatever option would keep me on DL metal for now and avoid a partner with all of the possible changes looming for simplicity reasons.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 10:43 am

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
I will echo MSP’s caution about the strong possibility of schedule and aircraft changes between now and then. Normally I say to go for whatever you can afford (we all deserve a nice treat!) but I have run into issues where I have booked C+ and been rebooked on planes where C+ no longer exists and thus downgraded to Y. I have also had the opposite where I was in PS and thus downgraded to C+. It can be tricky and a headache to get downgrade compensation plus a refund after travel is flown.

I guess if it was me I would go with whatever option would keep me on DL metal for now and avoid a partner with all of the possible changes looming for simplicity reasons.
Not to hijack this thread but I've really been wondering for quite some time - did Delta ever plan on installing Premium Select on the old A330s? I ask because pre-Covid, there were flights from SEA (e.g., -AMS) where both the -900neo and -300 were supposed to fly. I was supposed to be on one of those flights last April which eventually got canceled. But it was interesting to see my itinerary show a different aircraft every week or so - it kept shuffling between the -900neo and the -300. I was in D1 so it was no problem, but it would probably have been interesting for those in PS!
Old Jun 7, 2020, 10:44 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
Honestly, I sleep better in a bulkhead DL C+ seat (i.e. Row 10 on an A330) than in AF PE. The AF experience just before the COVID-19 days was getting awful in Y and PE so I cannot imagine how bad it would be now.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 11:44 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
If Delta's PS seat is as good or better than the VS Premium seat, then the choice is clear, go with PS, particularly if the spread between coach and PS is $300 or less.

I fly from the DC area to London at least once per year, and for a 6.5 hour eastbound and 8 hour westbound trip, the Premium seat is a really good compromise, because you are getting what amounts to a domestic F seat, and the food is as good if not better than what Delta services in domestic F.

Delta C+ is coach plus about 3 extra inches of separation between rows.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 2:19 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by Duke787
What plane type is scheduled? If we're talking the A359, I would rather take row 40 -- you'll have more legroom than any seat in PS and if you're talking A339 the same is true for row 42.
True, but you'll be sitting next to the toilets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.