Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Should I be Infuriated Right Now? Opinions please.

Old Jun 3, 20, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, AA, AS, UA, B6, HA, WN, Global Entry

Hello all,
I would like to hear yíallís opinions on this. I was ticketed on DL1715 from ATL-SLC at 1:50PM this afternoon. As soon as I got to they gate they announced they were overbooked and needed volunteers. I volunteered for $400. Everyone who volunteered was promised a seat on the 4:10PM flight which was DL796. After the door to 1715 closed, the gate agent found out that 796 is overbooked and canít take anyone else. In fact, every ATL-SLC that night was overbooked. Gate agent was trying to sort it out and call red coats to our gate but none were coming and he eventually took us to the Delta Direct counters in A. I was able to snag the last open seat on DL1209 in Comfort+ from ATL-SEA and a First Class seat on AS3490 from SEA-SLC. Everyone else had to spend the night in Atlanta. I only got that seat because I was a Gold confirmed in First Class on 1715. I am honestly just angry and upset that while we got our gift cards, Delta failed to deliver on their promise and the SEA connection may sound minor but I am now landing at 10PM instead of 3:39 for 1715 and 5:59 for 796. My problem is they completely lied to us that there was open seats on 796 while blindly promising seats on that flight. I seriously feel like Delta dropped the ball hard and I am honestly holding back a lot right now because I hate being messed with and lied to like that. This is not the Delta I know and they really let me down. What are yíallís thoughts? Should I be angry? Do I deserve more compensation?
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Jun 3, 20, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.53MM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM.
Originally Posted by coke cans and winglets View Post
Hello all,
I would like to hear y’all’s opinions on this. I was ticketed on DL1715 from ATL-SLC at 1:50PM this afternoon. As soon as I got to they gate they announced they were overbooked and needed volunteers. I volunteered for $400. Everyone who volunteered was promised a seat on the 4:10PM flight which was DL796. After the door to 1715 closed, the gate agent found out that 796 is overbooked and can’t take anyone else. In fact, every ATL-SLC that night was overbooked. Gate agent was trying to sort it out and call red coats to our gate but none were coming and he eventually took us to the Delta Direct counters in A. I was able to snag the last open seat on DL1209 in Comfort+ from ATL-SEA and a First Class seat on AS3490 from SEA-SLC. Everyone else had to spend the night in Atlanta. I only got that seat because I was a Gold confirmed in First Class on 1715. I am honestly just angry and upset that while we got our gift cards, Delta failed to deliver on their promise and the SEA connection may sound minor but I am now landing at 10PM instead of 3:39 for 1715 and 5:59 for 796. My problem is they completely lied to us that there was open seats on 796 while blindly promising seats on that flight. I seriously feel like Delta dropped the ball hard and I am honestly holding back a lot right now because I hate being messed with and lied to like that. This is not the Delta I know and they really let me down. What are y’all’s thoughts? Should I be angry? Do I deserve more compensation?
Given the state of things these days, there is no benefit to being angry. Certainly you can be unhappy, but the GA made a mistake and it's hard to recover with so few flights and seats. There is no motive for the GA to lie - IDB compensation does not come out of his pocket.

Do you deserve more compensation - maybe. If you had to overnight in ATL I would say definitely, but you didn't. You were delayed four additional hours.

I would have taken the $400 to move from your initial flight to your final flights. That's a decent VDB payout.

My guideline is that I don't hit Delta up for delays unless I get stuck somewhere overnight. I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, but you got where you wanted to be on the day you wanted to be there with a $400 gift card in your pocket. And yes the GA screwed up, but it happens. How many passengers took the VDB?

David

Programs: Delta Plat, United Plat, Amex Plat, Hotels.com Gold, Hertz 5 star, WMATA smartrip card
I won't gauge what your emotional reaction should be, but this does seem like it's worthy of a complaint...and some compensation.
​​​

BTW, did "overbooked" mean 60 percent or so full (i.e. no middle seats full?)

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
I think you have right to feel annoyed and even angry at what happened. It's likely the GA didn't maliciously claim there were open seats on a later flight if there weren't. Since you specifically asked for opinions, there are a couple of things I would do:

1) Write a clear and concise complaint about what happened and send it to Delta. I think they would give you some miles for the trouble (if that's what you want).

2) Next time when you offer to take a future flight, I'd try to make sure there are even seats available. If I can't find anything, ask the GA [nicely] and see how they respond. Ideally, I try to make sure I have a confirmed ticket on a later flight before I commit to volunteering.

And blocking seats due to COVID-19 may have played a part in this...

Safe travels to SLC tonight!
Old Jun 3, 20, 4:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM
Eh.... I mean... you gave up your confirmed first class seat and volunteered to take a later flight for poketing $400. Volunteering for a later flight in the day comes with all the additional risks like rolling delays, weather changes, IDB, killer hornets etc. etc... I don't know why the gate agent thought there were many empty seats to accommodate everyone who volunteered, but they clearly didn't do their due deligence in confirming it. You can always write a complaint to Delta, but not sure what you will get out of.. maybe 5000 sky pesos, if that.
Old Jun 3, 20, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Sounds like agent didn't hold space for each passenger. Thus seats ended up going to other passengers being rebooked.
Old Jun 3, 20, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Sounds like agent didn't hold space for each passenger. Thus seats ended up going to other passengers being rebooked.
There were 10 volunteers including me, I was the only one that got a seat on anything today. It was just a bad situation and there wasnít room for one on 796 and 993 (last flight of the night to SLC).
Old Jun 3, 20, 4:56 pm

Programs: HH Gold,
I'd be annoyed. I am not sure I'd be infuriated. I've been burned by VDB's in the past so I grab the money only if I have zero expectations and no where to be. I'd be reluctant to take their word for it in the future, but I'd enjoy my $400.
ryw likes this.
Old Jun 3, 20, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
There were 10 volunteers including me, I was the only one that got a seat on anything today. It was just a bad situation and there wasnít room for one on 796 and 993 (last flight of the night to SLC).
Understand. I was pointing out that when you volunteer they're supposed to add the flight to your PNR. Thus space is held for you. If you end up not being needed, the space auto releases.
In2ishn and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jun 3, 20, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1P
Not sure what is going on with DL these days. Seems they are not handling the COVID reductions and reduced capacity issues very well. Yesterday I was booked on an ATL-DTW flight on an A319. It was delayed by more than 30 minutes as they brought an A321 over from the hangar to operate the flight. And even then they were offering $400 gift cards for volunteers. So it was clearly massively overbooked for the original A319. Perhaps their new strategy is to sell as many seats as possible and then find the right aircraft to operate the flight depending on demand?
MSPeconomist, gt5889a and CO-PLAT like this.
Old Jun 3, 20, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

I am a complete idiot sometimes. Just looked at my voucher paper and Delta gave me well more than what they said because of the SEA stuff and I am a happy camper. They gave me $800 and they only said $400!
tvnwz, In2ishn, cs102 and 23 others like this.
Old Jun 3, 20, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL DM
I know it makes a larger difference when you are directly involved, but these are strange times and the agents and computers are over stressed right now. I doubt anything was done intentionally and would attribute it to the the current situation. I think overall, Delta is doing a great job.
DiverDave and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jun 3, 20, 7:05 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, UX Suma Gold, Marriott Bonvoyô️ Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Seems like this all worked out, so the only thing I have to add is that I ask the gate agent to hold inventory for me on the alternate flights before I agree to volunteer. Thatís a pretty effective way to prevent situations like this from occurring, since I already know what Iíll be getting before I give up my seat.
Old Jun 3, 20, 7:07 pm

Programs: No status anymore
Hello all,
I would like to hear yíallís opinions on this. I was ticketed on DL1715 from ATL-SLC at 1:50PM this afternoon. As soon as I got to they gate they announced they were overbooked and needed volunteers. I volunteered for $400. Everyone who volunteered was promised a seat on the 4:10PM flight which was DL796. After the door to 1715 closed, the gate agent found out that 796 is overbooked and canít take anyone else. In fact, every ATL-SLC that night was overbooked. Gate agent was trying to sort it out and call red coats to our gate but none were coming and he eventually took us to the Delta Direct counters in A. I was able to snag the last open seat on DL1209 in Comfort+ from ATL-SEA and a First Class seat on AS3490 from SEA-SLC. Everyone else had to spend the night in Atlanta. I only got that seat because I was a Gold confirmed in First Class on 1715. I am honestly just angry and upset that while we got our gift cards, Delta failed to deliver on their promise and the SEA connection may sound minor but I am now landing at 10PM instead of 3:39 for 1715 and 5:59 for 796. My problem is they completely lied to us that there was open seats on 796 while blindly promising seats on that flight. I seriously feel like Delta dropped the ball hard and I am honestly holding back a lot right now because I hate being messed with and lied to like that. This is not the Delta I know and they really let me down. What are yíallís thoughts? Should I be angry? Do I deserve more compensation?
Register your complaint with Delta and move on....curious to know which adjective you would have used if outside the country and couldn't get home....i guess "perspective" is my word of the day!

edit: maybe it's an adverb, not adjective....English majors help me out!
Old Jun 3, 20, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Bradhattan View Post
Register your complaint with Delta and move on....curious to know which adjective you would have used if outside the country and couldn't get home....i guess "perspective" is my word of the day!

edit: maybe it's an adverb, not adjective....English majors help me out!
Perspective is a noun. Infuriated is an adjective but also a gerund (verb acting as an adjective.....) IIRC.
strickerj likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: