Wiki Posts
Search

Automatic Upgrade for Y Fares?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2020, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
Automatic Upgrade for Y Fares?

I recently purchased a segment in Y (for the first time as delta seems to be going wild with their fare buckets right now). The other 3 segments on my flight are in J.

Right now, I'm seeing 6 available seats in J for an upgrade, and many more in C+.
I was under the impression that Y fares were automatically eligible for instant upgrade at purchase for Medallions. Is this no longer the case?

I knew they stopped the upgrade window for the time being, and complimentary upgrades are happening at the gate. Is this also the case now for the Y fare instant upgrades?
Old May 30, 2020, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Elite upgrades are turned off, so nothing before the gate... also assuming the agent processes the upgrades.

DL has also instituted fare caps due to the wacky inventory with a lot of routes only showing Y. This has to do with them blocking off middle seats and limiting maximum pax in the cabins.
Old May 30, 2020, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Whelp, at the very least I'll get my gold back after the 1st segment, so hopefully, I'm in a good position for a gate upgrade on the 3rd a few days later
Old May 30, 2020, 1:56 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Even pre-COVID, didn't full Y fares still require OU inventory to be available to be instant-upgraded? "Seats open on seat map" isn't the same as "available for upgrade by revenue management"...
Old May 30, 2020, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zorak
Even pre-COVID, didn't full Y fares still require OU inventory to be available to be instant-upgraded? "Seats open on seat map" isn't the same as "available for upgrade by revenue management"...
Yes, but that's the exact position that I'm in. seat map is booked, J0 in inventory, but the upgrade availability screen is showing 6 seats available in first for the segment.
Old May 30, 2020, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They stopped auto-upgrading full Y fares 4 years ago --

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1337693

Before: https://web.archive.org/web/20160302...es.html#window
After: https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...upgrades#clear

Note that DL currently has discounted, non-refundable Y, W, and J fares (which serve as fare caps). with 14-day advance purchase (Y912TU, W912TU, J912TU) which expire July 31st and 3-day advance purchase (Y912T2, W912T2, J912T2) which expire on June 30th.
DiverDave likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; May 30, 2020 at 2:15 pm
Old May 30, 2020, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by namekyd
Yes, but that's the exact position that I'm in. seat map is booked, J0 in inventory, but the upgrade availability screen is showing 6 seats available in first for the segment.
The number of open seats is meaningless in the current situation due to the 50% capacity limit in FC. If there are 12 seats in the cabin, only 6 will be sold and the rest will go out empty.
Old May 30, 2020, 7:42 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by xliioper
They stopped auto-upgrading full Y fares 4 years ago.
^^^ exactly. Y fares do not get you an auto upgrade anymore—they only give you fare class priority. They aren’t even good for a automatic upgrade to C+.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.