What is flying like now?

Old May 29, 20, 8:03 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Boston, MA, USA
Posts: 229
What is flying like now?

For the last 10 years I have had 4-5 Delta One flights BOS AMS or CDG a year. I enjoyed the flights. The seats were (relatively) comfortable, the food and wine very good, the service usually excellent. I always looked forward to the flights as a few hours of quiet, and a bit of pampering. I am trying to imagine what the experience is like now. How does social distancing work? Is there still meal service on china with silverware? Are the lounges still functioning and if so how? I have a necessary trip coming in a while. Should I be looking forward or dreading it. Any information/reactions appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Joe
mayhem likes this.
Joe747 is offline  
Old May 29, 20, 8:13 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New York
Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL DM360 1MM
Posts: 589
Same curiosity here. Someone posted pics from the meals in J on KLM and on DL but I can't find them anymore... It's somewhere in the covid threads here.
Edit; found them here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32402805-post535.html and https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32402611-post532.html
Credits to ClipperDelta
mayhem is offline  
Old May 29, 20, 12:12 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Posts: 12,703
Well the main question is how far away is your trip? Currently there are no BOS-AMS or BOS-CDG flights on Delta metal. Not sure when service will restart, but nothing is loaded for July except one on KL or AF metal.

Skyclub in BOS at A7 is open with limited features - wrapped/bagged food, some beverages at the bar but not the normal full selection.

I think you have better odds of the in flight experiencing being better the more time there is until your trip.
rylan is offline  
Old May 29, 20, 6:00 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SFO/SJC, BWI
Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Posts: 12,496
Master post with pointers to DL COVID-related threads:

Delta Related Coronavirus Threads [Consolidated List]

in-flight changes/experiences:

DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)

Sky Club experiences, what's open/closed, etc.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...ovid-19-a.html
Zorak is offline  
Old May 29, 20, 7:49 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Durham, NC (RDU/GSO/CLT)
Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Posts: 30,916
It's basic transportation. Staffing is at minimum levels at airports, many lounges are closed, short flights have the same service in F and Y and agents are not always friendly.
CMK10 is offline  
Old May 31, 20, 8:14 pm
  #6  
formerly jackvogt
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA
Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Posts: 629
As someone who doesn't often experience "perks" while flying, it feels much more sterile (and by that I mean it's not an experience). I arrived at the airport, boarded the flight, sat there, and arrived where I wanted to be. I didn't arrive early at the airport, didn't shop or buy food. Basically, I got what I paid for...transportation.
Honestly I hope this current situation will reset the current expectations for air travel. It doesn't need to be a dining or shopping experience. The purpose of air travel is to transport people. That is what the airlines are best at. Let's trim the process down to be as efficient as possible. Arrive at the airport, go through security. Board the aircraft from back to front---It just makes sense. Minimal service. I was perfectly happy with a water bottle and some CheezIts.
ATLflyer2017 is offline  
Old May 31, 20, 8:40 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: miami, florida
Posts: 1,602
Originally Posted by ATLflyer2017 View Post
As someone who doesn't often experience "perks" while flying, it feels much more sterile (and by that I mean it's not an experience). I arrived at the airport, boarded the flight, sat there, and arrived where I wanted to be. I didn't arrive early at the airport, didn't shop or buy food. Basically, I got what I paid for...transportation.
Honestly I hope this current situation will reset the current expectations for air travel. It doesn't need to be a dining or shopping experience. The purpose of air travel is to transport people. That is what the airlines are best at. Let's trim the process down to be as efficient as possible. Arrive at the airport, go through security. Board the aircraft from back to front---It just makes sense. Minimal service. I was perfectly happy with a water bottle and some CheezIts.
Great for a 2-hour flight. Not so great for a 5-hour transcon flight or international.
sydneyracquelle is offline  
Old Jun 1, 20, 12:04 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 15,206
Originally Posted by ATLflyer2017 View Post
As someone who doesn't often experience "perks" while flying, it feels much more sterile (and by that I mean it's not an experience). I arrived at the airport, boarded the flight, sat there, and arrived where I wanted to be. I didn't arrive early at the airport, didn't shop or buy food. Basically, I got what I paid for...transportation.
Honestly I hope this current situation will reset the current expectations for air travel. It doesn't need to be a dining or shopping experience. The purpose of air travel is to transport people. That is what the airlines are best at. Let's trim the process down to be as efficient as possible. Arrive at the airport, go through security. Board the aircraft from back to front---It just makes sense. Minimal service. I was perfectly happy with a water bottle and some CheezIts.
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle View Post
Great for a 2-hour flight. Not so great for a 5-hour transcon flight or international.
(1) your air travel patterns and experiences, and how they shaped your perspective of what’s important or valuable to you on a flight, are evidently rather different that the previous poster’s (esp as highlighted)
(2) not every “5-hour transcon flight” serves a premium market that can regularly command “perks” at the level you imply are important or valuable
(2) once again, most FTers are not representative of the vast majority of air travelers ... the latter group, imo, have a value proposition that really doesn’t give much weight to the “perks”
jrl767 is online now  
Old Jun 1, 20, 12:25 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Programs: Non-Rev, SkyMiles, Global Entry
Posts: 164
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
(2) once again, most FTers are not representative of the vast majority of air travelers ... the latter group, imo, have a value proposition that really doesn’t give much weight to the “perks”
I wouldn't say that. I have flown up front many times where I could tell they weren't FTers and they were taken aback even on 1.5 hour flights that there was no meal service in F, just a snack basket.
FlyEndeavorAir is offline  
Old Jun 1, 20, 2:34 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Seattle
Programs: Delta PM, AMEX Plat (MR), Chase Sapphire Reserve (UR)
Posts: 45
I had a friend that had to fly from transcontinental from SFO to CLT in early May. She told me their was basic snacks on the flight and they allowed her to bring her own wine onto the flight if she wanted (bought at airport). She told me the flight was empty, service was minimal and she wore a mask for most of the flight.

I usually fly to Asia many times a year and it seems I will not attempt a flight to Asia until 2021. Once that is possible, not sure what it will look like, can't imagine an 10 hour flight without meal service and alcohol... Guess I will need to get used to the new normal...
entel is offline  
Old Jun 1, 20, 8:39 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 2,271
Originally Posted by entel View Post
I had a friend that had to fly from transcontinental from SFO to CLT in early May. She told me their was basic snacks on the flight and they allowed her to bring her own wine onto the flight if she wanted (bought at airport). She told me the flight was empty, service was minimal and she wore a mask for most of the flight.

I usually fly to Asia many times a year and it seems I will not attempt a flight to Asia until 2021. Once that is possible, not sure what it will look like, can't imagine an 10 hour flight without meal service and alcohol... Guess I will need to get used to the new normal...
Long-haul international flights still have meals and booze. It's only domestic and short-haul international that have had the major reductions in offerings.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/travel-u...ces/#amenities
entel likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 1, 20 at 9:19 am
xliioper is online now  
Old Jun 4, 20, 3:46 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Programs: DL MM & DM; Marriott, AmEx, Chase, Cap1
Posts: 801
I laughed at the word "china!" I don't know exactly what to call DL's ceramicware, but china is punching a bit above its weight class.
safigan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: