Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Hertz's hurts & the elite crossover benefit

Hertz's hurts & the elite crossover benefit

Old May 28, 2020, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by kjnangre
Pretty sure National has been doing the pick-your-own-car thing since long before Hertz got into it. So if that's your concern, nothing to worry about
You can pick your own car at Avis also. Even done it on the app with Avis.
Our company doesn't let us use Hertz.
Old May 28, 2020, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by ND76
I have a Hertz reservation at SMF next weekend.

I understand that at the time it filed its bankruptcy petition (last Friday 5/22), Hertz reported that it had roughly $1 billion on hand; unfortunately, its current liabilities were $18.7 billion.

Anybody know whether National and/or Avis are doing status matches? I'm President's Circle too (I got it through being a DM once upon a time, and never lost it even though being relegated to PM).
Ha! I got Presidents Circle as a PM 5 or 6 years ago (more?). Lost PM and went to general and have retained Presidents Circle to this day. Plus i only rent once or twice a year....go figure. YMMV!
Old May 28, 2020, 7:30 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Serves him right for messing up TWA.
I thought it was Howard Hughes that screwed TWA
Old May 28, 2020, 7:39 pm

I had Hertz PC for years on rentals, but when I hit DM I did the account linky-thingy because I had moved most of my rentals to National but wanted to keep a backup. I have probably only had 2 Hertz rentals in the past 4 years, but my PC seems to have held. Until recently. I logged into my Hertz account a few days ago, and it shows my status as "5 Star".

it's not worth messing with trying to fix it with everything else that's going on, but it's kind of annoying....
Old May 28, 2020, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
Icahn was the one who pretty much single-handedly drove TW into bankruptcy after deregulation ... he bought the airline ~1985, filed Chapter 11 in 1992, and was forced out the next year; the airline emerged a shadow of its former self and went back into bankruptcy in 1995; it was finally acquired by AA ~2001 in a third bankruptcy proceeding

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_World_Airlines
Old May 29, 2020, 8:16 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/3.4 MM, DLAmex Plat, PC Plat, MR Gold, HH Diamond, National Exec Elite, Hertz Gold 5*
FWIW, Hertz has 1500 cars stored at my ParknFly lot in FLL. I guess good for Hertz and good for the local PnF as well.
Old May 29, 2020, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Who is getting all the parking points for those?
Old May 29, 2020, 4:03 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Serves him right for messing up TWA.
Completely agree!
Old May 29, 2020, 6:45 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Prfrence
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
At the end of TWA (I think 2001), the employees "owned" the airline, but Carl Icahn owned about 40% of the seats, which were sold on sites like Priceline. He got the money from these ticket sales, which he did not share with the airline.

20 years ago I was buying tickets through Priceline, and I found out about TWA because I got placed on them. I actually liked flying on TWA; I gained a lot of respect for the pilots and FAs who were with them at the end. TWA's problems were that they had almost no ground staff (this was true at both DCA and BWI). One of my all time favorite upgrades was on a $99 one-way ticket BWI-STL-SFO; TWA was so desperate for money that they overlooked their usual policy that "bulk tickets" were not upgradeable, and they sold me an upgrade at the airport 90 minutes before scheduled departure for an additional $99. I thus had confirmed F one-way ticket for $198 (their staff in SFO wouldn't sell me an upgrade on the return). The food and service were great; they even had decent tasting champagne on the flight.

The "new" runway at STL, which former Congressman Dick Gephardt got the funding to buy out about half the property owners in the municipality of Bridgeton, Missouri, was built for TWA's STL hub. I think WN now operates about half the flights out of STL.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.