Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Has DL Cut too many flights? Analysis and discussion of schedule cuts.

Has DL Cut too many flights? Analysis and discussion of schedule cuts.

Old Jun 8, 20, 5:42 pm

I don't see issues with Z inventory for August and beyond (as schedule has yet to be significantly touched yet). Perhaps there may be around holidays, but I'm not seeing this supposed new "strategy". Examples please.
Old Jun 8, 20, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
I don't see issues with Z inventory for August and beyond (as schedule has yet to be significantly touched yet). Perhaps there may be around holidays, but I'm not seeing this supposed new "strategy". Examples please.
I did say for "my particular routes", keeping in mind these aren't purely domestic flights. I don't think this is a new strategy per se; I think someone forgot to file married segment availability when they did a schedule update a few weeks ago. The nonstops price out fine in Z individually. it's when you add a connection in that it triggers full J pricing for some reason.

Last edited by Yellowjj; Jun 11, 20 at 7:27 pm
Old Jun 8, 20, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Yellowjj View Post
I did say for "my particular routes", keeping in mind these aren't purely domestic flights. I don't think this is a new strategy per se; I think someone forgot to file married segment availability when they did a schedule update a few weeks ago. The nonstops price out fine in Z individually. it's when you add a connection in that it triggers full J pricing for some reason.
It would have been worth mentioning that the origin is NAS.
DiverDave, cmd320 and live5 like this.
Old Jun 8, 20, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by aacar View Post
It would have been worth mentioning that the origin is NAS.
Your right, except it didn't seem important since it appears to be the entire Latin/Central America market, versus isolated to a single destination. I did mention these weren't completely domestic flights in my response.
Old Jun 9, 20, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Tolerater, AA Hater
Go where and how soon? The lowest level DL awards have advance purchase requirements -- typically 21 days for domestic and up to 90 days for international awards. There can also be different levels depending on whether you book a one-way or a roundtrip with a Saturday night stay.
Anytime all summer!!

Take my wife to Key West....nope. Fly to MIA and drive down to the keys. Nope.

Pacific coast drive (SFO-SEA)........nope, either direction.

Alaska perhaps? Nope.

Oh well, the wife does not really travel well, I'll go meet my bud from PHX in LAS and do some drinking. Nope. Oh well, I just fly to PHX and hang out or drive up. Nope. Oh well, AX lounge in LAS is closed anyway.

No where else I really want to go other than the international places that are all still closed.....

I guess I'll be taking the Ford down to the Gulf. I wonder if the hotel give me Brekkie or is that crazy talk?

What happened to all the "deals" airlines were supposed to have to get people back?

And this no food or drink BS is just an excuse at this point.

Rant over
cmd320 likes this.

Last edited by dilbertsdaddy; Jun 9, 20 at 6:22 pm
Old Jun 9, 20, 6:59 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Diamond Medallion, Delta Amex Reserve, Marriott Rewards Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Spire
As a business traveler, I will say choosing Delta from my home airport will be difficult until some semblance of a normal schedule returns from them. Trying to book two weeks out from ATW to anywhere on business days is already impossible; either from incompatible connections or equally often seats being sold out. I likely would have already booked at least one trip already had the availability been there. On service, there is a whole other thread but that will need to rebound quickly too otherwise with status locked through 2021 I have no incentive to stick to the home team and may even have to book another just to make the trip.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 20, 4:37 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by whooperatw View Post
As a business traveler, I will say choosing Delta from my home airport will be difficult until some semblance of a normal schedule returns from them. Trying to book two weeks out from ATW to anywhere on business days is already impossible; either from incompatible connections or equally often seats being sold out. I likely would have already booked at least one trip already had the availability been there. On service, there is a whole other thread but that will need to rebound quickly too otherwise with status locked through 2021 I have no incentive to stick to the home team and may even have to book another just to make the trip.
Tell you what, I just got an email that Delta canceled my flight in July. Definitely frustrating as I am scrambling to book the flight on other airlines now, and was assuming flights that were sold would be maintained.
Old Jun 10, 20, 4:45 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.53MM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM.
Originally Posted by wchinchen View Post
Tell you what, I just got an email that Delta canceled my flight in July. Definitely frustrating as I am scrambling to book the flight on other airlines now, and was assuming flights that were sold would be maintained.
Ouch! Is it a flight to one of the discontinued destinations?
Old Jun 10, 20, 5:30 pm
formerly wchinchen

Originally Posted by DiverDave View Post
Ouch! Is it a flight to one of the discontinued destinations?
HNL-PDX.suppose to be the typical direct flight leaving 12:30 and arriving around 10pm.

Now itís HNL-DFW-PDX on AA.
Old Jun 10, 20, 5:47 pm

I also assumed that the July flights scheduled were all set to go with no further changes.
Old Jun 10, 20, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat (4m+), AF Gold, A3 Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Plat
to add some nice color to the discussion... I am based in Paris. Bought a ticket CDG-BOS, issued on DL stock.
Received a cancellation notice from Air France to contact them (AF handles DL in Europe and DL handles AF in the US)
Delta (read, AF) in France now wants me to deal with Delta directly.
Like, which Delta? The one I bought the ticket from (you??) ??

I really feel like I'm living in Kafka's castle....
DiverDave and HaleiwaFlyer like this.
Old Jun 10, 20, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle View Post
I also assumed that the July flights scheduled were all set to go with no further changes.
The bulk of July cuts occurred over weekend of 5/24 -- https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1446687
They've since restored a number of flights (mostly to ATL) and cut a few others for July. Surprised HNL-PDX was not part of the original cuts (SLC flight was cut for July on 5/24).
Old Jun 11, 20, 10:42 am
formerly wchinchen

The bulk of July cuts occurred over weekend of 5/24 -- https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1446687
They've since restored a number of flights (mostly to ATL) and cut a few others for July. Surprised HNL-PDX was not part of the original cuts (SLC flight was cut for July on 5/24).
HNL-PDX was part of the original cuts, and only KOA-West Coast was available. They brought back HNL-PDX for the July schedule, then took them away. Nuts.
Old Jun 11, 20, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by wchinchen View Post
HNL-PDX was part of the original cuts, and only KOA-West Coast was available. They brought back HNL-PDX for the July schedule, then took them away. Nuts.
)

That's not how they do the updates. They are cutting flights a month at a time. July flight cuts were largely all made over the weekend of May 24th. Prior to that, the July domestic schedule was largely intact (from pre-Covid). Right now, August and beyond is largely the pre-Covid schedule (particularly domestic) and they will likely make cuts to the August schedule in a couple weeks. So you can't really rely on anything you see in the August schedule right now and assume it is safe. The weekly OAG Changes posts on airliners.net details which routes have had reductions and the month or months it applies to.
HaleiwaFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 11, 20, 5:32 pm
formerly wchinchen

)

That's not how they do the updates. They are cutting flights a month at a time. July flight cuts were largely all made over the weekend of May 24th. Prior to that, the July domestic schedule was largely intact (from pre-Covid). Right now, August and beyond is largely the pre-Covid schedule (particularly domestic) and they will likely make cuts to the August schedule in a couple weeks. So you can't really rely on anything you see in the August schedule right now and assume it is safe. The weekly OAG Changes posts on airliners.net details which routes have had reductions and the month or months it applies to.
Thanks for the insight, and now I am questioning if my August flight (same flight , HNL-PDX) will even exist. Looks like its the best bet to move those flights to AA.

I would have assumed Delta would have cut the schedule to bare bones for all future flights so people can book without worrying about canceled flights, and add back flights/inventory each month. Not the opposite.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: