FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Has DL Cut too many flights? Analysis and discussion of schedule cuts. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2018450-has-dl-cut-too-many-flights-analysis-discussion-schedule-cuts.html)

GKBEAR Jun 4, 2020 12:23 pm

Tried to book a flight in June for the first time since C19. Found out that my airport had cut back to 1 flight per day on DELTA and that, weeks in advance, there was no availability on it for the day I had to travel.

AMERCIAN had availability, so I'm flying them.

I don't want to hear any complaints from DL about not having business if they won't sell seats.

CMK10 Jun 4, 2020 12:59 pm

Work trip to ATL next week. DL is still at just 3x ATL-RDU. The only option that would work was $208 for Y, $368 for F. AA is $168 for Y and $258 for F with an earlier departure and a similar enough arrival that I don't mind the connection. Also I was able to get through to AA on the phone right away to use a credit while Delta I can't get through to.

rylan Jun 4, 2020 1:35 pm

Yeah its kind of amazing that you can get right through to other airlines like AA, yet the DL phone lines have multi-hours long wait times and its been a few weeks since the last major schedule cuts.

apodo77 Jun 4, 2020 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320 (Post 32404446)
6/1: 1 of 3 flights sold out entirely, 2 of 3 sold out in F
6/2: 2 of 4 flights sold out both in Y and F
6/3: 1 of 4 flights sold out in Y, all available in F
6/4: 2 of 4 flights sold out both in Y and F
6/5: 1 of 4 flights sold out in Y, 2 of 4 sold out in F

That's just not really good enough a week or more out. If they're going to be blocking a bunch of seats the capacity is going to have to increase so that these flights aren't selling out weeks in advance. Or if it's really people who are just waiting until the last minute to cancel then DL should be encouraging them to cancel as early as possible so that it's not a game of musical chairs to find out what flights actually have seats on them.

I live in Sarasota. This place is more crowded than during the season right now. A friend owns a restaurant in downtown and he said his revenue the past 2 weekends was more than any week during the past 2 seasons despite only being allowed 50% capacity inside (he has plenty of outside seating).
It's like Spring Break right now so I would assume the flights are getting pretty full to FL cities right now.

apodo77 Jun 4, 2020 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer (Post 32429248)
It still seems strange why almost all MD-88 routes were downgraded to 717s. I might need to fly to MEM again at the end of the month and I had no issues getting a flight out of MEM last month when MEM-ATL on the MD-88. Now that it’s all 717, it’s nearly impossible to find a seat due to the seat caps limiting the 717 flights to around ~60 people vs the MD-88 which allowed around ~90.

I see ATL-SRQ is all 717's now and had been MD-88 (with an occasional 739) for a long time.

cmd320 Jun 4, 2020 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by apodo77 (Post 32430046)
I live in Sarasota. This place is more crowded than during the season right now. A friend owns a restaurant in downtown and he said his revenue the past 2 weekends was more than any week during the past 2 seasons despite only being allowed 50% capacity inside (he has plenty of outside seating).
It's like Spring Break right now so I would assume the flights are getting pretty full to FL cities right now.

Flying into MCO two days ago every flight of the day went out with its max capacity (757s with middles blocked). The DL terminal at MCO was very quiet however the other areas were considerably busier.

cfabar1 Jun 4, 2020 4:54 pm

MCO is going to come back in a huge way when Disney opens... mark my words... DL should be ready to go for what will be undoubtedly a grand reopening. Especially if the Las Vegas reopening is any indication! It is going to be huge!

sydneyracquelle Jun 4, 2020 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 32429914)
Yeah its kind of amazing that you can get right through to other airlines like AA, yet the DL phone lines have multi-hours long wait times and its been a few weeks since the last major schedule cuts.

DL was a 4-hour wait today for a PM. WN was 3 minutes.

DLASflyer Jun 4, 2020 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle (Post 32430549)
DL was a 4-hour wait today for a PM. WN was 3 minutes.

Which one's website is completely broken?

nomiiiii Jun 4, 2020 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by apodo77 (Post 32430046)

Literally everyone from blue states who wants to vacation and get a mental health break from the lockdown is booking it to Florida, our family included last week. With Hawaii/Carribbean as the other beach destination closed, its no wonder that business will be booming in florida.

They might pay for it in a few extra virus cases, but florida will definitely rake in the monies as long as restrictions elsewhere exist.

manacit Jun 6, 2020 12:12 pm

I scoffed at this thread originally, but I really have to wonder what is going on with DL right now. I need to get from SEA to PHL for something urgent (unfortunately) and wanted to use SM to do it. On DL? Two layovers and over 12 hours of travel, going through SLC/DTW and ATL.

AS? Daily nonstop. Even UA and AA offered better options. In the end, I snagged a direct to JFK and will end up driving, as it was worth it due to needing to rent a car anyway.

At SEA there are a total of four agents working all of bag drop, special services for both Elites and non-elites and everything else. One person was working the only elite booth at the whole airport - the line was 10+ people long by the time I got there. Phone wait times are 10+ hours (see other thread) and onboard service is all but nothing.

I understand the financial situation they're in, and that travel is low, but at this point DL is putting me at risk forcing me to wait 30 minutes in a line to check my bag. If they'd staffed the airport properly I would have come into contact with tens of fewer people and lingered a lot less.

GagaPilot Jun 6, 2020 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by manacit (Post 32434985)
I scoffed at this thread originally, but I really have to wonder what is going on with DL right now. I need to get from SEA to PHL for something urgent (unfortunately) and wanted to use SM to do it. On DL? Two layovers and over 12 hours of travel, going through SLC/DTW and ATL.

AS? Daily nonstop. Even UA and AA offered better options. In the end, I snagged a direct to JFK and will end up driving, as it was worth it due to needing to rent a car anyway.

At SEA there are a total of four agents working all of bag drop, special services for both Elites and non-elites and everything else. One person was working the only elite booth at the whole airport - the line was 10+ people long by the time I got there. Phone wait times are 10+ hours (see other thread) and onboard service is all but nothing.

I understand the financial situation they're in, and that travel is low, but at this point DL is putting me at risk forcing me to wait 30 minutes in a line to check my bag. If they'd staffed the airport properly I would have come into contact with tens of fewer people and lingered a lot less.

I experienced the same thing in SEA one month ago today, back on 5/6. Only 4 agents at the “Special Services” counter serving all customers. Half were on the phone on hold obviously trying to fix a reservation for someone. Took quite a while to drop my bags and they seemed confused why I was even there. Thinking I had overlooked another bag drop area, I walked around afterwards and saw no other areas open (Sky Priority or regular).

My guess is that it is a combination of too many people (in all departments) taking various leave options and/or DL severely (and I mean severely) underestimating travel rebound.

manacit Jun 6, 2020 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by GagaPilot (Post 32435158)
My guess is that it is a combination of too many people (in all departments) taking various leave options and/or DL severely (and I mean severely) underestimating travel rebound.

I felt very bad for the folks working the desks, as you could tell already-high tensions had been boiling over all day as people were (rightfully) flustered at having to wait so long.

It's disappointing that a month after this DL hasn't been able to adequately staff these positions. Meanwhile, the Sky Club had almost as many agents working the desk as the entire SEA staff at check-in?

I don't expect travel to be easy right now, and I certainly am not going to moan about it anywhere but here, but this feels like some sort of systemic issue at DL at this point. For a company that prides itself on operational excellence, it's disappointing.

buckeyefanflyer Jun 6, 2020 3:27 pm

Delta will suspend service on 7/8 to the following cities.

ASE
ERI
BGR
FNT
FSM
LNK
XWA
AVP
PIA
SBA
EWM

Service previously suspended to CAK,MDW, OAK, BUR, PHF, MHT, HPN, LGB, SWF. And PVD.

dilbertsdaddy Jun 7, 2020 8:51 am

I'm really itching to get back out there, but not willing to pay TRIPLE fare or DOUBLE miles to go somewhere....all the while wearing a mask, not getting upgraded, and not having any food/drink.

Not sure if this is greed or incompetance but this is ridiculous.