Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Has DL Cut too many flights? Analysis and discussion of schedule cuts.

Has DL Cut too many flights? Analysis and discussion of schedule cuts.

Old May 29, 20, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by WScottsdaleInsider View Post
Here's another interesting article that shows Delta has cancelled too many flights with many routes already sold out through June.

https://pointsmilesandmartinis.board...dding-flights/
I think DL largely gets it (based on July updates), but it's likely difficult to make major changes in May/June schedules at this point. The author of that post compares July schedules for AA and DL but apparently fails to understand that DL has already updated their July schedule (last weekend), while AA has not published their schedule update for July yet.
Old May 29, 20, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA Gold, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Disc, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I think they have. Delta has gone from 9x-10x ATL-RDU to 3x. If you can't take the 9 AM you have to wait until 3 PM. Their fares are also three times as high as WN as typically the only buckets left are Y and J. I need to be in Atlanta twice in June and I'm flying a mix of AA, UA and WN because of schedules and prices.
cmd320 and bimmerfreak0 like this.
Old May 30, 20, 2:51 am

Programs: DL PM
Had to book two trips today... one for business and the other for personal travel. Both in June. It pained me to do it, but booked AA for both. Even joined AAís FF program rather than crediting to my AS account. Neither trip was possible with DL. Such a shame. Iíll hope that by the time fall/winter rolls around I can resume some DL travel, but who knows.
Old May 30, 20, 4:45 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition.
Also agree they cut way to deep. As pained as it is to say, if I had to travel now I'd have to give AA/UA/SW/NK a look. They are currently offering more flights, far better prices, and a potentially better onboard experience (certainly not any worse).

I'm also going out on a limb here...I suspect they have retired too many aircraft. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.
Old May 30, 20, 9:45 am

Programs: DL, UA
It looks like DL has added a fair amount of flights for July with today's schedule change. I haven't looked at much, but for example, in the markets that I frequent, ORD-ATL went from 4x 717 to 2x 717, 2x 319, and 1x 220 and MKE-ATL went from 2x 717 to 4x 717.
Old May 30, 20, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Guess they realized from the massive amount of people calling and on hold for hours that they needed to add some flights back for people to make connections and go on trips they want to take?
Old May 30, 20, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, AA, AS, UA, B6, HA, WN, Global Entry
Originally Posted by WidgetKid View Post
It looks like DL has added a fair amount of flights for July with today's schedule change. I haven't looked at much, but for example, in the markets that I frequent, ORD-ATL went from 4x 717 to 2x 717, 2x 319, and 1x 220 and MKE-ATL went from 2x 717 to 4x 717.
Thank goodness, that was much needed. Looks like JAX-ATL went from 5x 738 to 6x 752. Still no service from the other hubs yet but hopefully at least DTW and/or MSP comes back in August just for more flight options.
Old May 30, 20, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by coke cans and winglets View Post
Thank goodness, that was much needed. Looks like JAX-ATL went from 5x 738 to 6x 752. Still no service from the other hubs yet but hopefully at least DTW and/or MSP comes back in August just for more flight options.
Looks like MCO is up to 7, though I still feel like that will be too low. Definitely welcome additions though.
Old May 30, 20, 11:44 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
Looks like MCO is up to 7, though I still feel like that will be too low. Definitely welcome additions though.
They also brought back MLB to 2x (it’s normally only 4x). Glad to see this as MLB is a nice small airport alternative to MCO (at least where I live) and DL originally asked the DOT to drop the station completely. I guess they are seeing a uptick in bookings there due to the Brevard Co beaches re-opening.
cmd320 likes this.
Old May 30, 20, 12:36 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I’m glad that MLB is staying. I was worried Delta would drop the route entirely. MCO needs to be built back up more, but until they know what the theme parks actually look like, my guess is they don’t want to commit too much.

I am going to toy around with the bookings later, I’m curious to see what LAS looks like in comparison to MCO.
cmd320 likes this.
Old May 30, 20, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, AA, AS, UA, B6, HA, WN, Global Entry
Originally Posted by cfabar1 View Post
Iím glad that MLB is staying. I was worried Delta would drop the route entirely. MCO needs to be built back up more, but until they know what the theme parks actually look like, my guess is they donít want to commit too much.

I am going to toy around with the bookings later, Iím curious to see what LAS looks like in comparison to MCO.
Disney opening on July 11th will definitely help MCO's case even more, they were already getting LAX and SLC back in July I believe.
Old May 31, 20, 10:37 am

Programs: Delta Gold, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards
I’ve started to look at flights starting from June through the fall for various reasons - I was surprised to see that Delta flights were either unavailable (especially in June) or uneconomical (October/November) compared to what I am used to. I understand that flights out of NYC are dicey for a lot of reasons right now, but I was surprised at the level of cutbacks. There don’t appear to be any direct flights from NYC to places like Las Vegas, West Palm Bach, Miami, etc. One or two flights a day from JFK ot LAX/SFO, and many of those California flights are sold out. Looking to the fall, Delta One prices are pretty outrageous on transcons. Not sure what business their revenue strategy is over the next few months.
Old May 31, 20, 11:10 am

DL has added back a number of frequencies for July (mostly to ATL) after last week's July schedule cuts -- https://www.airliners.net/forum/view...?f=3&t=1446987
DL has yet to cut much of anything domestically for August and beyond, so you can't blame any pricing issues for that period on schedule cuts as they have yet to be implemented. I checked a number of routes for August and beyond and did not see significant differences in pricing and availability between DL and it's legacy competitors. Yes, there are and will continue to be significant issues for June and July due to the schedule cuts, but we don't know what August and beyond will look like yet as they haven't been cut yet. The seat blocking in F only goes through the end of June, while Y/C+ goes through September. This also has clearly had an impact on seat availability and revenue management systems and things will likely improve once it goes away. There's no point in hyperventilating on what you are seeing in June/July as it's unlikely that will actually be the new "normal".
Old May 31, 20, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
I understand that flights out of NYC are dicey for a lot of reasons right now, but I was surprised at the level of cutbacks. There don’t appear to be any direct flights from NYC to places like Las Vegas, West Palm Bach, Miami, etc. One or two flights a day from JFK ot LAX/SFO, and many of those California flights are sold out. Looking to the fall, Delta One prices are pretty outrageous on transcons. Not sure what business their revenue strategy is over the next few months.
NYC gets more flights back in July including:
LAX - 4x daily JFK - all 763ERs
SFO - 2x daily JFK
SEA - 2x daily JFK
SLC - 3x daily JFK
LAS - 1x daily JFK
DEN - 1x daily JFK
SAN - 1x daily JFK
MIA - 2x daily JFK; 1x daily LGA
MCO - 2x daily JFK; 2x daily LGA
FLL - 2x daily JFK; 2x daily LGA
TPA - 2x daily JFK; 1x daily LGA
PBI - 1x daily LGA
ATL - 3x daily JFK; 7x daily LGA
MSP - 1x daily JFK; 3x daily LGA
DTW - 2x daily JFK; 4x daily LGA
BOS - 3x daily JFK; 4x daily LGA
DFW - 2x daily LGA
IAH - 1x daily LGA
PIT - 2x daily LGA
DCA - 3x daily LGA
ORD - 4x daily LGA
RDU - 3x daily LGA
CLT - 2x daily LGA
RIC - 1x daily LGA
SJU - 1x daily JFK

International in July includes so far:
AMS - daily
CDG - daily
TLV - 4x weekly
ATH - 4x weekly
LIS - 4x weekly
ACC - 4x weekly
CUN - 3x weekly
SDQ - daily
STI - 1x weekly
YYZ - daily

Last edited by ClipperDelta; Jun 3, 20 at 12:52 pm Reason: Added DEN, SJU, CUN
Old Jun 1, 20, 4:33 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition.
Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
DL has added back a number of frequencies for July (mostly to ATL) after last week's July schedule cuts -- https://www.airliners.net/forum/view...?f=3&t=1446987
DL has yet to cut much of anything domestically for August and beyond, so you can't blame any pricing issues for that period on schedule cuts as they have yet to be implemented. I checked a number of routes for August and beyond and did not see significant differences in pricing and availability between DL and it's legacy competitors. Yes, there are and will continue to be significant issues for June and July due to the schedule cuts, but we don't know what August and beyond will look like yet as they haven't been cut yet. The seat blocking in F only goes through the end of June, while Y/C+ goes through September. This also has clearly had an impact on seat availability and revenue management systems and things will likely improve once it goes away. There's no point in hyperventilating on what you are seeing in June/July as it's unlikely that will actually be the new "normal".
I hope you are right, but given the amount of aircraft DL has retired since March July may be close to the new normal going forward.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: