Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Has DL Cut too many flights? Analysis and discussion of schedule cuts.

Has DL Cut too many flights? Analysis and discussion of schedule cuts.

Old May 27, 20, 5:32 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by ab2013 View Post
If the no-show rate is that high (I'm not sure we know), my guess is that they'll suspend the change fee waiver or make changes to it if they wish to continue to offer it, as they'll probably want to continue to get cash wherever they can.
We can't ignore the fact that Delta's IT prevents us from effectively canceling without calling in... leading to a higher no-show rate.
Old May 27, 20, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, AA, AS, UA, B6, HA, WN, Global Entry
Originally Posted by emma dog View Post
We can't ignore the fact that Delta's IT prevents us from effectively canceling without calling in... leading to a higher no-show rate.
No kiddin, I have to change SLC-ATL-MCO-ATL-PNS to SLC-PNS but can't do that online while having a 9+ hour callback and to put the cherry on top there is nothing from SLC-PNS on DL on June 12th since everything from SLC-ATL except for a 5PM flight is full (also gonna throw it out there that there was availability on SLC-ATL this morning proving my point people are definitely still booking), I am so done with this. Delta did some serious damage.
GagaPilot likes this.

Last edited by coke cans and winglets; May 27, 20 at 6:18 pm
Old May 27, 20, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by coke cans and winglets View Post
No kiddin, I have to change SLC-ATL-MCO-ATL-PNS to SLC-PNS but can't do that online while having a 9+ hour callback and to put the cherry on top there is nothing from SLC-PNS on DL on June 12th since everything from SLC-ATL except for a 5PM flight is full, I am so done with this. Delta did some serious damage.
There are a few different two-stop options available - they show up when searching for an award ticket.
Old May 27, 20, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, AA, AS, UA, B6, HA, WN, Global Entry
Originally Posted by aacar View Post
There are a few different two-stop options available - they show up when searching for an award ticket.
I would do that but seriously hate using miles on domestic flights. Maybe when I get a callback at 2AM they can exchange it to one of those since I'm on a paid ticket, we'll see.
Old May 27, 20, 6:28 pm

I would do that but seriously hate using miles on domestic flights. Maybe when I get a callback at 2AM they can exchange it to one of those since I'm on a paid ticket, we'll see.
Yeah they should be able to do it over the phone. I'm able to pull them up as revenue tickets using multi-city search.
Old May 27, 20, 6:57 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Longtime DM... my first trip since January last Saturday, TPA to BOS. DL offered a 6AM to ATL with 58 minute connection. DL had two flights to ATL that day from TPA. I ended up booking two FC seats for my wife and I on AA which offered 4 flights connections to BOS via CLT, two via PHL. Delta has cut their schedule to the point of it being unusable.

Not scientific, but my regular limo driver picked us up in Boston commented that his requests now seem to be all on AA, B6 and WN, never DL.
Old May 27, 20, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
The basic problem here is that DL and the other airlines had to shrink quickly. The forecasting models are basically useless at this point and it's more like starting a brand new airline. So, over the next few months, it's going to get real dicey in terms of bookings/overbookings and so forth. There is no history to account for something like this, particularly with different places opening at different times.
koreanair720 and DLASflyer like this.
Old May 27, 20, 8:03 pm

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
Deltaís schedule does seem way too sparse to run even a small hub in ATL. AA is being much more effective in Charlotte.

I did fly DL last week ATL-BWI and was impressed with the onboard measures they were taking on the airplane. And the airport in Atlanta is amazingly clean ó even the footpads at the bottom of escalators are shining and bright. If they want to, they can easily ramp up with a strong product.
Old May 27, 20, 8:10 pm

Yeah they should be able to do it over the phone. I'm able to pull them up as revenue tickets using multi-city search.

There's no married segment availability currently on any of the revenue flight options. The two main options has one of the flights down to Y3 and they are not offering married segment availability all the way through because of that. The other flights are fine on availability. One is DL1108 MSP-ATL for SLC-MSP-ATL-PNS with DL662, DL1108, DL830 option and the other is DL1182 ATL-PNS for SLC-DTW-ATL-PNS with DL926, DL1381, DL1182 flights. The award bookings are not subject to same married segment bucket availability limits as revenue fares and is offering last seat availability on both options with 3 seats available for YSY335 33.5K awards. The award tickets are also not subject to the same routing rules as revenue fares as they are offering same YSY335 awards for SLC-LAX-ATL-PNS routing which is not a valid routing for revenue fares. I don't know if they can override married segment availability when rebooking, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Multi-city search will construct some broken fare options with SLC-ATL + ATL-PNS fares, but they require the connection in ATL to be at least 4 hours in order to break the fare (they are not the same flights as above two options).

Last edited by xliioper; May 27, 20 at 8:27 pm
Old May 27, 20, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
There's no married segment availability currently on any of the revenue flight options. The two main options has one of the flights is down to Y3 and they are not offering married segment availability all the way through because of that. One is DL1108 MSP-ATL for SLC-MSP-ATL-PNS with DL662, DL1108, DL830 option and the other is DL1182 ATL-PNS for SLC-DTW-ATL-PNS with DL926, DL1381, DL1182 flights. The award booking system is not subject to same married segment bucket availability limits as revenue fares and is offering last seat availability on both option with 3 seats available on both for YSY335 33.5K award. The award tickets are also not subject to the same routing rules as revenue fares as they are offering same YSY335 awards for SLC-LAX-ATL-PNS routing which is not a valid routing for revenue fares. I don't know if they can override married segment availability when rebooking, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Multi-city search will construct some broken fare options with SLC-ATL + ATL-PNS fares, but they require a connection in ATL to be at lease 4 hours in order to break the fare.
Thanks, yes I should have clarified that I was only seeing the longer connection options using multi-city (there's one with 4hr3m in ATL). Though they should still be able to override married segment availability IME, at least in the case of a schedule change - not sure about voluntary changes.
Old May 27, 20, 8:48 pm

No kiddin, I have to change SLC-ATL-MCO-ATL-PNS to SLC-PNS but can't do that online while having a 9+ hour callback and to put the cherry on top there is nothing from SLC-PNS on DL on June 12th since everything from SLC-ATL except for a 5PM flight is full (also gonna throw it out there that there was availability on SLC-ATL this morning proving my point people are definitely still booking), I am so done with this. Delta did some serious damage.
Call DL in Singapore. Get right through. Highly professional agents.
cmd320 likes this.
Old May 27, 20, 8:58 pm

Programs: DL PM
Thanks, yes I should have clarified that I was only seeing the longer connection options using multi-city (there's one with 4hr3m in ATL). Though they should still be able to override married segment availability IME, at least in the case of a schedule change - not sure about voluntary changes.
I have had DL (in the past) override married segment availability on paid tickets when a DL schedule change has occurred. Living in ANC always requires a connection and routes can get interesting (long connections) in normal
times. Hopefully OP can get it overridden. Iíve had a mixture of agents lately since the virus... some seem very motivated to help, others are understandably frustrated and not willing to do much other than process a cancellation.
Old May 27, 20, 9:32 pm

There's also the possibility that availability will open on some of the SLC-ATL flights or they may add an extra section as date gets closer. They have added an extra flight on June 5th with a 9:45AM departure -- DL8801.

Last edited by xliioper; May 27, 20 at 9:48 pm
Old May 28, 20, 6:22 am

Don't know if people are noticing ion the WN board but they are tracking how many people are on their flights and they're routinely getting 90 people or so so people are looking to book and fly again. DL could get some of that too but when connections are effectively neutered and you have to call in or cancel with a 9 hour wait, it gets very ridiculous. DL needs to either fix their IT or add more flights so people can actually travel the airline if they want to because right now all you can do is the nonstops seemingly if the fare is available and competitve. I"m flying DL currently since they are still flying nonstop to where I want to go and I booked in advance before everything went nuclear but many other people aren't that lucky. Let's be real, most people are not brand loyal enough to wait on DL, they'll just move on to another airline if they can't get what they need when they need to fly.
GagaPilot likes this.
Old May 28, 20, 8:22 am

Programs: DL
To give some insight here, Ed basically said anyone who wants a LOA can have one a few weeks back. This meant that in-demand staff could opt in and collect unemployment (with the +600 cares bonus), and for many that was very attractive, especially lower salary employees. This has put pressure on capacity as well since some airports don't have enough ground staff to process any additional flights.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: