Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Has DL Cut too many flights? Analysis and discussion of schedule cuts.

Has DL Cut too many flights? Analysis and discussion of schedule cuts.

Old Aug 23, 20, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List, HH Dia, Hyatt Glob, National ECE, Hertz PC
We booked a trip for the summer to SXM back in March when fares were very low, the trip was originally scheduled for July, of course that got moved into August, then finally when our kids' school announced they weren't opening until September 8th I moved the trip yet again and again and finally it was booked for August 29th and come back September 3rd. Now it appears that Delta has decided with last night's schedule change that all flights to and from SXM are cancelled after August 29th. What particularly frustrates me is that it is impossible for us to rebook it now because they waited until less than two weeks before the flight to cancel it. I have done everything I can to take this trip, rebooking it every few weeks as Delta continually changes the schedule, and now this. Do they not understand that part of the reason people aren't flying is that even those of us who are trying to fly are constantly frustrated in our attempts to actually fly by their constantly changing schedules?
Old Aug 23, 20, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
HNL-NGO, HNL-KIX are gone entirely - all the way through end of schedules in July, 2021 (along with HNL-NRT 4-5x daily used to be 747 and A330 mix, that is now a sad tiny only 1x daily 767 HNL-HND...but that was already so from before). DL seems to be really cutting down on international flights and giving its market share to others (like HA, JL, NH, UA, KE, and D7 for HNL - Japan). This is esp. surprising given the already approved by Japan gov't "travel bubble" between Japan and Hawaii, where, unlike with rest of US49, any quarantine and such requirements would be bypassed with the requisite testing and what not requirements met. All other airlines still have their normal schedules for 2021, but DL has cut it all entirely to end of schedules (save for HNL-HND tiny 1x daily 767, that is practically nothing given the multiple daily A380s on ANA, and the five-digit daily seats on HNL-TYO alone, not even looking at the many 100s through 1000s of daily seats on the other major routes).
Old Aug 24, 20, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by RealHJ View Post
HNL-NGO, HNL-KIX are gone entirely - all the way through end of schedules in July, 2021 (along with HNL-NRT 4-5x daily used to be 747 and A330 mix, that is now a sad tiny only 1x daily 767 HNL-HND...but that was already so from before). DL seems to be really cutting down on international flights and giving its market share to others (like HA, JL, NH, UA, KE, and D7 for HNL - Japan). This is esp. surprising given the already approved by Japan gov't "travel bubble" between Japan and Hawaii, where, unlike with rest of US49, any quarantine and such requirements would be bypassed with the requisite testing and what not requirements met. All other airlines still have their normal schedules for 2021, but DL has cut it all entirely to end of schedules (save for HNL-HND tiny 1x daily 767, that is practically nothing given the multiple daily A380s on ANA, and the five-digit daily seats on HNL-TYO alone, not even looking at the many 100s through 1000s of daily seats on the other major routes).
Isnít it more based on gates / landing slots than routes though? Unless Delta is pulling out of airports entirely it isnít that long to reinstate the route?

I do wonder though if it is just being shuffled around with partners: I need to check older AM flight numbers as I may be mistaken but it looks lIke the AM fare sale I jumped on JFK-MEX-LIM (when I thought this was going to be done by September whoops) recently got switched to a flight number I didnít think they ran and is now on Delta metal explicitly for JFK-MEX.

Last edited by Revelate; Aug 24, 20 at 1:45 am
Old Aug 24, 20, 6:22 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum; DL DM, 1 MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Revelate View Post
Isnít it more based on gates / landing slots than routes though? Unless Delta is pulling out of airports entirely it isnít that long to reinstate the route?

I do wonder though if it is just being shuffled around with partners: I need to check older AM flight numbers as I may be mistaken but it looks lIke the AM fare sale I jumped on JFK-MEX-LIM (when I thought this was going to be done by September whoops) recently got switched to a flight number I didnít think they ran and is now on Delta metal explicitly for JFK-MEX.
Similar change for me. I have a trip in December (that probably won't happen) going from JFK-MEX-SCL. I booked it so I could experience the 787-9, which was the equipment on all 4 segments. Now the JFK-MEX segments are on a DL 757 (not lie-flat) and the MEX-SCL segments are on the 787-8. Not their best configuration.

But, there's a good chance the flight would get canceled. AM has been pushing back the restart of their SCL service. Right now it's scheduled for October 1.
Old Aug 24, 20, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DCAhome View Post
Similar change for me. I have a trip in December (that probably won't happen) going from JFK-MEX-SCL. I booked it so I could experience the 787-9, which was the equipment on all 4 segments. Now the JFK-MEX segments are on a DL 757 (not lie-flat) and the MEX-SCL segments are on the 787-8. Not their best configuration.

But, there's a good chance the flight would get canceled. AM has been pushing back the restart of their SCL service. Right now it's scheduled for October 1.
AM appears to be going with the 788 on MEX-EZE and now itís a red eye instead of the 2100 arrival into EZE which I preferred but I guess thatís better potentially for connections

Search this Thread
Search Engine: