Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Has DL Cut too many flights? Analysis and discussion of schedule cuts.

Has DL Cut too many flights? Analysis and discussion of schedule cuts.

Old Jun 21, 20, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Not surprising unfortunately... the website is totally broken for making changes to existing itineraries.
Old Jun 22, 20, 8:23 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by n7371f View Post
Delta.com is so dysfunctional that they've now inadvertently canceled out the ability to cancel a ticket for a refund within 24 hours. Now getting a simple error with a message to call. Yeah right.
I was able to cancel a flight with the "Risk-Free Guarantee" today with no issues today.
Old Jun 29, 20, 10:17 pm

Programs: Avis Chairman's, IHG Au, Hyatt Discoverist (Visa,) Honors Au (Amex), Marriott Life Au
I just got a major schedule change on TVC--CHS for August. When I click on Change or Cancel, it rejects it 'because of a sched. change' or because it's Basic Economy. It tells me to call, so I get the same as Rebidus #164 . So I've direct-messaged them for a refund.
Old Jun 29, 20, 10:47 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
So just jumping in but no, the world is about to come crashing down again. Biggest routes US-Europe blocked due to poor COVID control due to American mismanagement and selfishness. Hope they don't go bankrupt since I own stock!!
Old Jun 30, 20, 6:54 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
I just got a major schedule change on TVC--CHS for August. When I click on Change or Cancel, it rejects it 'because of a sched. change' or because it's Basic Economy. It tells me to call, so I get the same as Rebidus #164 . So I've direct-messaged them for a refund.
I had the same issue as you, and the one time I was able to modify the flight online it wanted to charge a fare difference! Seems pretty silly that if you want to lighten up the phone lines, you should enable folks to rebook online. Though as several previously commented on this thread, Delta's focus on IT infrastructure seems to be lacking.
Old Jun 30, 20, 1:00 pm

Programs: Avis Chairman's, IHG Au, Hyatt Discoverist (Visa,) Honors Au (Amex), Marriott Life Au
I just logged in again around noon EDT today. It still would not let me change, but it did let me cancel. So I did!
Now begins the waits for A. the return of my 12K Skymiles, and B. the refund of my $11.20 TSA tax to my Amex.
Old Jul 5, 20, 8:36 am

Programs: 2.5MM DL DM, HA Premier, AA Plat,Ex UA 1K, HH Diamond, Marriott TE
Booked a flight to MCO back in May. Best option at the time was a 12:54 flight. Checking on 6/29, I found DL had reinstated the 10:20 AM flight which fit my schedule better. There was an upcharge but I went ahead and paid it. Flash forward less than one week later and I get the dread "There has been a change to your flight" email. You guessed it, 10:20 now gone and I'm back on the 12:54. Fortunately, Diamond line gave me an e credit for the upcharge, but how does DL put a flight up for purchase then pull it 6 days later???

And, yes, I know that there are schedule changes on the first Saturday of the month but the 10:20 was "reinstated" the last Saturday in June then pulled.
Old Jul 5, 20, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
Booked a flight to MCO back in May. Best option at the time was a 12:54 flight. Checking on 6/29, I found DL had reinstated the 10:20 AM flight which fit my schedule better. There was an upcharge but I went ahead and paid it. Flash forward less than one week later and I get the dread "There has been a change to your flight" email. You guessed it, 10:20 now gone and I'm back on the 12:54. Fortunately, Diamond line gave me an e credit for the upcharge, but how does DL put a flight up for purchase then pull it 6 days later???

And, yes, I know that there are schedule changes on the first Saturday of the month but the 10:20 was "reinstated" the last Saturday in June then pulled.
You might want to take a look at what's going on in Florida right now. Situations can change rapidly. Not really surprising that airlines would react to those changes which can dramatically affect demand on short notice. Similar issues going on now with international flights.
Old Jul 5, 20, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
You might want to take a look at what's going on in Florida right now. Situations can change rapidly. Not really surprising that airlines would react to those changes which can dramatically affect demand on short notice. Similar issues going on now with international flights.
I'm a Florida resident. What's "happening" right now is a lot of media hype. Disney opens this Saturday, the MCO Sky Club opens on the 8th, Universal already open, etc.. Prior to March 15 every single DL flight to/from MCO was packed. Demand is there.
SeaHawg and BradLivermore like this.
Old Jul 5, 20, 11:55 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
I'm a Florida resident. What's "happening" right now is a lot of media hype. Disney opens this Saturday, the MCO Sky Club opens on the 8th, Universal already open, etc.. Prior to March 15 every single DL flight to/from MCO was packed. Demand is there.
Regardless of how you feel about the current situation, airlines, starting with JetBlue, have started reporting declines in bookings in the last week and a half due to the rise in numbers across many states, and are starting to make corresponding changes to their schedules. This past weekend, for example, Delta has cut JFK-MCO from 4x daily to 3x daily and LGA-MCO from 4x daily to 2x daily for August.

And FL reported over 11450 new cases yesterday, which is even more than the one day peak that NY reported back in April!
ab2013 and DCAhome like this.
Old Jul 5, 20, 12:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta View Post
Regardless of how you feel about the current situation, airlines, starting with JetBlue, have started reporting declines in bookings in the last week and a half due to the rise in numbers across many states, and are starting to make corresponding changes to their schedules. This past weekend, for example, Delta has cut JFK-MCO from 4x daily to 3x daily and LGA-MCO from 4x daily to 2x daily for August.

And FL reported over 11450 new cases yesterday, which is even more than the one day peak that NY reported back in April!
Count me as one of the people that is choosing not to travel right now. I had been flying a good amount throughout all of this but whatís going on now is just unbelievable. NY state is one of the safest places to be these days in the lower 48 so Iím staying put and sticking to the Hamptons and up state for getaways.
Old Jul 5, 20, 12:21 pm

I get all that. Not trying to divert this thread to a health discussion but number of positive tests does not equal deaths. Latest medical thinking is the actual number of positives across the US is anywhere from 10 to 50 times higher than what is reported. The virus has mutated, become more infectious, but also less deadly. I take all sensible precautions when traveling but I prefer to live life rather than cower in fear.

Hopefully, when the fear subsides, bookings will return.
SeaHawg and BradLivermore like this.
Old Jul 5, 20, 3:25 pm

I take all sensible precautions when traveling but I prefer to live life rather than cower in fear.
I do find it amusing how quickly the nationalist crowd suddenly adopted the "my body my choice" argument.....
beachmouse and Scudsone like this.
Old Jul 5, 20, 4:45 pm

Programs: DL GM, AS MVP, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers

Well, the number of cases isn't a metric to look at (due to limited test capacity that's been rising). The key metrics are hospitalization and positive test rates, because those are more likely to influence public policy regarding travel restrictions and shutdowns. I think I commented about this in another thread and another poster tried to disprove me by pulling current stats from NY.

It's entirely possible that the carriers may need to make more close-in adjustments based on how the situation evolves. On the air demand side, it'll be interesting to see how the TSA numbers change as well - passenger volumes have actually continued to rise and is now hovering around 20-25% of last year's numbers. My guess is that the airlines are actually anticipating soft leisure travel demand, with the changes that DL just loaded this weekend to cut down Caribbean/Mexico flying for the winter. (International cuts usually go in first)

Last edited by ab2013; Jul 5, 20 at 4:53 pm
Old Jul 6, 20, 11:12 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond

One can't argue declines in booking, seems reasonable they would adjust flights.

Originally Posted by johnatan View Post
I do find it amusing how quickly the nationalist crowd suddenly adopted the "my body my choice" argument.....
Yeah about as amusing as the no borders crowd suddenly adopting the arguably strictest and most secure borders in recent history.

Originally Posted by ab2013 View Post
Well, the number of cases isn't a metric to look at (due to limited test capacity that's been rising). The key metrics are hospitalization and positive test rates, because those are more likely to influence public policy regarding travel restrictions and shutdowns. I think I commented about this in another thread and another poster tried to disprove me by pulling current stats from NY.

It's entirely possible that the carriers may need to make more close-in adjustments based on how the situation evolves. On the air demand side, it'll be interesting to see how the TSA numbers change as well - passenger volumes have actually continued to rise and is now hovering around 20-25% of last year's numbers. My guess is that the airlines are actually anticipating soft leisure travel demand, with the changes that DL just loaded this weekend to cut down Caribbean/Mexico flying for the winter. (International cuts usually go in first)
Good points!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: