Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Has DL Cut too many flights? Analysis and discussion of schedule cuts.

Has DL Cut too many flights? Analysis and discussion of schedule cuts.

Old Jun 11, 20, 6:46 pm

Programs: Delta Sky Miles
In terms of HNL flights, a lot may depend on the Quarantine and when it is lifted for out of state travelers. The governor has extended this past the end of June. People with existing reservations are likely waiting to see how things pan out before deciding to cancel which must make it very hard for Delta to work out its flight schedules.
Old Jun 12, 20, 9:12 am

Delta has canceled all leave extensions and new leave requests. Employees are to return to work July 1st. July will see a little over 400 fits out of ATL per day. In the fall that will rise to 600 per day barring any return of Covid-19.
DiverDave and DLASflyer like this.
Old Jun 12, 20, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
The cities service halted round 1 airports close to other airports example CAK what was the timeline on restoring service. Not showing service up till year end. Could some be permeate.
Old Jun 12, 20, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer View Post
The cities service halted round 1 airports close to other airports example CAK what was the timeline on restoring service. Not showing service up till year end. Could some be permeate.
They didn't provide a timeline. They only said they will be suspended at least until September.
Old Jun 17, 20, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA Gold, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Disc, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I need to go to Jacksonville next week. There's only a single option between RDU and JAX on Friday, it involves leaving at 7 AM, a nearly 5 hour connection in ATL and it costs $460.

AA via CLT with a shorter layover and better times was half that for confirmed F or $168 for Y. Yet again I'm booking a trip where I'm on other airlines.
Old Jun 17, 20, 6:09 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver, AS 75K 15-20
Delta cut too much? Heck no. United, I believe, was worse.

Flying from JFK to SEA, it was possible to fly Delta and arrive on the same day. United (from EWR)? Not so until recently. Still no nonstop, but until recently, I would have to spend overnight in DEN or SFO flying from EWR, a United Hub.

Jiburi
Old Jun 17, 20, 6:25 pm

Typically fly Delta to ALB and PHL from CHS. ALB because of the previous awesome frequency to ATL with a short connection to ALB. PHL because AA from CHS is about as reliable as ... you get it.

2 trips coming up. UA got ALB because DL flights are sold out or have ridiculous connections. AA got PHL because the cost is 30% of what DL wants.

So at least in my case...DL is pushing me away with the schedule.
Old Jun 17, 20, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL DM 3MM 360
Just looked at flights lax to slc Fri. Almost $900! First and c+ sold out! Absolutely ridiculous!
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 20, 9:31 pm

Whoa the sucker who buys that!

Originally Posted by p100a View Post
Just looked at flights lax to slc Fri. Almost $900! First and c+ sold out! Absolutely ridiculous!
Old Jun 17, 20, 9:33 pm

It's already a given that the June schedule is pretty much toast. That's not going to change. July still has issues, but it wasn't cut nearly as severely. There's probably a decent chance August will come out this weekend (it will be 4 weeks since July schedule was published). Hopefully, there will be additional restorations.
Old Jun 17, 20, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Link June 18 2020 (AU time) Exec Trav ---->Delta's Los Angeles-Sydney flight returns, with social distancing
Delta Air Lines says it is committed to a capacity cap and blocking middle seats.
Delta Air Lines will restart flights between Sydney and Los Angeles in July, and there'll be a little extra elbow room on the 13-hour journey.The SkyTeam member and Virgin Australia partner says it has "committed to capping cabin seating at 60 percent in Main Cabin (economy) ... and blocking middle seats through September 30, 2020
<snip>
The trans-Pacific trek will be flown by a Boeing 777-200LR jet, ;although this will be replaced by the more modern and fuel-efficient Airbus A350-900 by year's end as the Boeing 777s are retire
<snip>
Australia is not open to general travel, and expected to be that way for the rest of the calendar year..
Only AU citizens, AU permanent residents and limited others with permission can enter.
AU citizens cannot leave unless specific government permission is granted.
Freight will be good earner for DL
Old Jun 18, 20, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Yeah kind of curious as to how that SYD flight will operate without or with minimal pax... unless it will primarily be cargo heavy. Even so with the restrictions I can't see this having much passenger load at all.
Old Jun 18, 20, 8:31 am

It's quite the puzzler, isn't it – and at three days a week!

You'd have to think that given the Australian borders have been closed since the end of March, with all inbound travellers serving a mandatory 14-day hotel stay for quarantine (the cost of which has to date been borne by the govt but some states are now moving to make the traveller pay this), that any US citizens in Australia who wanted to head home would have done so long ago, and any Aussie in the states likewise (UA's still running SYD-SFO flights, Qantas and Virgin Australia have been running govt-underwritten MEL-LAX and BNE-LAX flights for the past few months).

And there's bugger-all chance that out borders will reopen until 2021, with a few exceptions such as NZ and maybe Singapore, so it's not as if Delta is 'in the know' and about to tap into a wellspring of demand.

Must be a lot in that belly freight!
Old Jun 18, 20, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
The preliminary August schedule to be loaded over the weekend appears to be viewable through the online routemap https://dl.fltmaps.com/en

The number of flights is up significantly over June and July.

Looking at DTW departures per day:

June - 130
July - 198
August - 288
Peak summer 2019 was 461 flights.

So a lot of frequency/connectivity is coming back. I didn't look at the other hubs, but if DTW is effectively doubling the number of flights between June and August, I'd imagine similar at MSP & SLC if not more in ATL.
Old Jun 18, 20, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Guess the big schedule load update is coming this weekend... prepare for phone line wait times to be hours long again. Oh wait, I mean expect wait times to just continue with hours long waits as usual.
cmd320 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: