FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta flights showing "Sold Out" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2018176-delta-flights-showing-sold-out.html)

sbwestfall May 21, 2020 3:03 pm

Delta flights showing "Sold Out"

Does anyone know why a number of Delta's flights are showing "sold out" when there are still plenty of seats?

AANYC1981 May 21, 2020 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by sbwestfall (Post 32393918)
Does anyone know why a number of Delta's flights are showing "sold out" when there are still plenty of seats?

Theyre only selling 60 percent of main cabin and comfort and 50 percent of FC.

kop84 May 21, 2020 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981 (Post 32393952)
Theyre only selling 60 percent of main cabin and comfort and 50 percent of FC.

It could also be the flight has been zeroed out and is going to get the axe during the next schedule change.

DeltaFan4Now May 21, 2020 5:12 pm

May we know what dates you’re seeing this?

ab2013 May 21, 2020 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by kop84 (Post 32393981)
It could also be the flight has been zeroed out and is going to get the axe during the next schedule change.

If flights in the reverse direction are zeroed out as well, that'd be a pretty good indication. If not, it's possible they're just overbooked based on the current threshold.

xliioper May 21, 2020 5:40 pm

I'm not aware of any public resources where you can see available seats on a sold-out flight (and then there is the issue that the number of assigned seats doesn't really tell you how many people are actually booked on the flight).

aacar May 21, 2020 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper (Post 32394198)
I'm not aware of any public resources where you can see available seats on a sold-out flight (and then there is the issue that the number of assigned seats doesn't really tell you how many people are actually booked on the flight).

You can see seat maps on EF even if the flight is sold out.

xliioper May 21, 2020 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by aacar (Post 32394207)
You can see seat maps on EF even if the flight is sold out.

Thanks (I tried it and didn't get any results, but then realized I entered an invalid flight number). So back to the other point, this still doesn't really tell you how many people are booked on the flight due to people with BE fares or who have otherwise been confirmed, but without a seat assignment (which only an insider would have access to).

sydneyracquelle May 21, 2020 6:29 pm

The sold out flights I have been watching since mid-March all ended up getting cancelled.

xliioper May 21, 2020 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle (Post 32394290)
The sold out flights I have been watching since mid-March all ended up getting cancelled.

Assuming OP is referring to domestic June flights, they are not likely going to be cancelled at this point (in fact, DL added back some June capacity). It's an artifact of the big June schedule changes a couple weeks ago (https://www.airliners.net/forum/view...php?p=22207903) and the aforementioned seat-blocking. DL also did large schedule reductions for April and May, but there weren't as many people trying to book flights then, so it wasn't as noticeable. With all the schedule reductions, DL has to rebook people with existing reservations whose flights got cancelled and this tends to fill up the remaining flights (particular on hub-to-hub routes). Many of these existing reservations will likely end up being cancelled which will open up seats as the flight dates get nearer. All of this has been extensively discussed already on these threads --

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...al-impact.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...on-thread.html

mile ho May 21, 2020 7:19 pm

I know it's Delta thread, but Southwest just called me and said they were oversold (meaning past their Covid limit) on a flight next week, wanting me to change to another flight. The flight that I'm currently on shows unavailable, or sold out.

Demand is ramping up very quickly and flights are going to get 'sold out' for those carriers who are practicing social distancing, like Delta and Southwest. Just makes me think that Delta's sold out is like Southwest's.

Ringer909 May 21, 2020 7:57 pm

I had a ticket on DL1503 from PDX to MSP for tomorrow, which I cancelled on Tuesday. I did a dummy booking before I cancelled it and it showed Sold Out on all cabins. The seat map I'm My Trip showed Main cabin all X'd out but there were more seats open in W. I had an SU upgrade from booking. Anyways, when I did a dummy booking on that flight yesterday it showed all cabins as bookable. The seat map showed about 10 seats occupied, plus the blocked out middle seats. This is on a 738. Now tonight the flight shows Sold Out again. I dunno.

Im looking at booking a trip in June that connects MSP-SLC. Many flights are shown as Sold Out. I'd be skeptical of booking anything as there's a high chance I may want to come back a day earlier or later. I think there's a good chance of getting stuck somewhere I don't want to get stuck. I'll likely drive to Fargo and fly United to Denver. At least that runs consistently everyday. Well, as consistent as United Express can be.

I, for one, can't wait until a sense of normalcy is restored.

Mr. Tickets May 22, 2020 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Ringer909 (Post 32394421)

I, for one, can't wait until a sense of normalcy is restored.

Hope you are not expecting that anytime soon

GagaPilot May 22, 2020 10:25 pm

I look forward to the day normalcy is returned too. However I fear that the current booking difficulties on DL and meager service offerings will continue for the foreseeable future. Once DL makes the major July schedule cuts we will see the same issues with flights being "Sold Out" due to rebooking of passengers whose itineraries were affected and the cabin capacity limitations. Then as fall approaches, if these limitations are still in place, we will see the issues again as so many people pushed their spring/summer travel to the fall/winter. It's a cycle I'm afraid that will repeat until DL adds back capacity and removes limitations.

I normally go out of my way to fly DL, but they made it incredibly difficult to travel over the past 2 weeks between FL and AK. My spouse needs to fly to MS in June and has had a trip booked to JAN for a few months. It's all screwed up now and no way to easily construct a new itinerary on DL for the most of June. Most likely next week I will call and cancel it for a refund. I found a very suitable itinerary on AS into MSY. Sure it's more of a drive up to MS, but at least it's bookable.

Bottomline I would love to give DL our business (and we have for years as a PM and GM) but they are making it essentially impossible to do so.

MSPeconomist May 23, 2020 11:25 am

Originally Posted by GagaPilot (Post 32397045)
I look forward to the day normalcy is returned too. However I fear that the current booking difficulties on DL and meager service offerings will continue for the foreseeable future. Once DL makes the major July schedule cuts we will see the same issues with flights being "Sold Out" due to rebooking of passengers whose itineraries were affected and the cabin capacity limitations. Then as fall approaches, if these limitations are still in place, we will see the issues again as so many people pushed their spring/summer travel to the fall/winter. It's a cycle I'm afraid that will repeat until DL adds back capacity and removes limitations.

I normally go out of my way to fly DL, but they made it incredibly difficult to travel over the past 2 weeks between FL and AK. My spouse needs to fly to MS in June and has had a trip booked to JAN for a few months. It's all screwed up now and no way to easily construct a new itinerary on DL for the most of June. Most likely next week I will call and cancel it for a refund. I found a very suitable itinerary on AS into MSY. Sure it's more of a drive up to MS, but at least it's bookable.

Bottomline I would love to give DL our business (and we have for years as a PM and GM) but they are making it essentially impossible to do so.

I'd watch the situation carefully as New Orleans is currently considered to be a major COVID-19 hot spot.