FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta flights showing "Sold Out" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2018176-delta-flights-showing-sold-out.html)

GagaPilot May 23, 2020 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 32398154)
I'd watch the situation carefully as New Orleans is currently considered to be a major COVID-19 hot spot.

I just read this morning that AS has been granted DOT approval to drop (temporarily?) MSY, so doesn't look like MSY will be a valid option either. It's looking more and more like a flight to ATL then a long rental car drive for him.

dilbertsdaddy May 23, 2020 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by GagaPilot (Post 32397045)
I look forward to the day normalcy is returned too. However I fear that the current booking difficulties on DL and meager service offerings will continue for the foreseeable future. Once DL makes the major July schedule cuts we will see the same issues with flights being "Sold Out" due to rebooking of passengers whose itineraries were affected and the cabin capacity limitations. Then as fall approaches, if these limitations are still in place, we will see the issues again as so many people pushed their spring/summer travel to the fall/winter. It's a cycle I'm afraid that will repeat until DL adds back capacity and removes limitations.

I normally go out of my way to fly DL, but they made it incredibly difficult to travel over the past 2 weeks between FL and AK. My spouse needs to fly to MS in June and has had a trip booked to JAN for a few months. It's all screwed up now and no way to easily construct a new itinerary on DL for the most of June. Most likely next week I will call and cancel it for a refund. I found a very suitable itinerary on AS into MSY. Sure it's more of a drive up to MS, but at least it's bookable.

Bottomline I would love to give DL our business (and we have for years as a PM and GM) but they are making it essentially impossible to do so.

I think DL is causing some of it's own problems at this point; I'm anxious to get back out there and the couple of trips I want to take are either not available or the fares are crazy high. How are people supposed to start traveliong with no offerings? Booking engine and fares seem broken

Oh, and a $50 upgrade sounds like a great deal but with no food or drinks maybe not?

xliioper May 23, 2020 6:09 pm

It looks like they did the domestic schedule update for July this weekend instead of waiting until June. ANC-SEA goes to 4x daily in July from 3x in June. ANC-MSP is 2x daily in July (from nothing in June). SEA-SLC goes from 3x to 5x, SEA-ATL goes from 4x to 5x, and SEA-MSP and SEA-DTW each go to 4x from 3x. No MSP-MSY or DTW-MSY flights for July however -- only 4x to ATL and 1x to SLC.

nwa330 May 23, 2020 7:02 pm

It looks like July is updated. My ICN-IAH has me rebooked on an illegal connection in MSP. I have 5 minutes to clear customs to make my flight. They canceled my original flight that gave me about 2 hours. Guess I’ll wear my running shoes that day.

Dieuwer May 23, 2020 7:30 pm

Delta needs to stop scheduling (too many) flights (in advance) and then canceling them later. How about scheduling few flights and only LATER when DEMAND picks up ADD flights?

xliioper May 23, 2020 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Dieuwer (Post 32398984)
Delta needs to stop scheduling (too many) flights (in advance) and then canceling them later. How about scheduling few flights and only LATER when DEMAND picks up ADD flights?

And then you'll have people complaining they don't have any options when booking further out. They have already done some significant reductions for July and beyond on international routes and they have been doing some domestic reductions for July and beyond over the past few weeks.. They've now set the July schedule about 3 weeks prior to when they had done the June schedule reductions (the second weekend of May). So, hopefully, there are fewer people with already booked flights for July that will be disrupted.

vike16 May 23, 2020 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper (Post 32399182)
And then you'll have people complaining they don't have any options when booking further out. They have already done some significant reductions for July and beyond on international routes and they have been doing some domestic reductions for July and beyond over the past few weeks.. They've now set the July schedule about 3 weeks prior to when they had done the June schedule reductions (the second weekend of May). So, hopefully, there are fewer people with already booked flights for July that will be disrupted.

What this whole thing is showing is that booking on Delta with connections is a fool's errand currently. Fortunately, my flights that I have booked are nonstop and they just changed by a couple hours so no big deal there. The other thing is to book early..I'm glad I did as I can't get the flight that I want now if I had waited until now to book as it is sold out.

GagaPilot May 23, 2020 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by vike16 (Post 32399220)
What this whole thing is showing is that booking on Delta with connections is a fool's errand currently. Fortunately, my flights that I have booked are nonstop and they just changed by a couple hours so no big deal there. The other thing is to book early..I'm glad I did as I can't get the flight that I want now if I had waited until now to book as it is sold out.

I'm actually on the fence about booking more than 1-2 months out on DL currently. In the past I usually booked 6-8 months out. The vast majority of the time (but not always) I found I got the best fare. Sure I knew I was going to have a few rounds of schedule changes in the meantime, but to me that was part of the "fun." Who knows what DL's schedules will look like months down the road. Right now it's almost impossible to book anything in June because so many people had pre-existing reservations. So while that is a case for booking early, I have had to cancel so many things because of COVID and it's a huge combination of credits and refunds I just don't have much confidence in DL to keep a schedule more than 1 or 2 months out.

bsagator May 23, 2020 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper (Post 32398895)
It looks like they did the domestic schedule update for July this weekend instead of waiting until June. ANC-SEA goes to 4x daily in July from 3x in June. ANC-MSP is 2x daily in July (from nothing in June). SEA-SLC goes from 3x to 5x, SEA-ATL goes from 4x to 5x, and SEA-MSP and SEA-DTW each go to 4x from 3x. No MSP-MSY or DTW-MSY flights for July however -- only 4x to ATL and 1x to SLC.

Looks like LAX-MCO is back, albeit just 1x daily vs 3x daily precovid. Might also help that all the theme parks are starting to reopen.

GagaPilot May 23, 2020 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy (Post 32398871)
I think DL is causing some of it's own problems at this point; I'm anxious to get back out there and the couple of trips I want to take are either not available or the fares are crazy high. How are people supposed to start traveliong with no offerings? Booking engine and fares seem broken.

THIS. Completely agree DL is causing a lot of it's own problems. Inventory issues and a booking engine that errors out.

Dieuwer May 24, 2020 9:37 am

IMO, the main issue is that the delta.com does not function well. Why do I need to call and wait for 8 hours for simply changing a flight because the website errors out??

TomMM May 24, 2020 10:20 am

Originally Posted by GagaPilot (Post 32399242)
I'm actually on the fence about booking more than 1-2 months out on DL currently.

Same here but with the current limited schedule I am having trouble finding available flights 3 weeks out.

MileageAddict May 3, 2021 12:13 pm

Looks like the MSP-HNL nonstop is no more after Labor Day, September 6, 2021. :(

Keith2004 May 3, 2021 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by MileageAddict (Post 33223292)
Looks like the MSP-HNL nonstop is no more after Labor Day, September 6, 2021. :(

I'm currently booked on this in D1, I am waiting on the official schedule change to switch to the ATL flight. 330 beats the 763.

But I'm out of WAS, I imagine it sucks for MSP or Midwest based travelers.

Intl359Widget May 3, 2021 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by MileageAddict (Post 33223292)

Seasonal Demand is allover the place right now and all the carriers added more year over year capacity to Hawaii so it’s best to trim the schedules and adjust capacity accordingly now than later on.

I for one am booked on UA’s new ORDKOA and EWROGG flights this summer.