Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Mileage earning question with DL & Korean Air

Old May 21, 20, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM& 1MM; Marriott Platinum; HHonors Gold

Hi everyone - I am trying to book for JFK-ICN for Feb 2021 via Amex IAP portal. Amex gives me the option to book for Prem. Econ via Korean Air stock (DL operated). But what is puzzling to me is that, when I look at the DL partner earning with Korean Air (https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...rline-partners), I don't see any earning options for Prem. Econ -- only regular Econ, Business & First.

Any thoughts?

Old May 21, 20, 11:11 am

Programs: Delta
It's an interesting one as Korean Air does not have premium economy - I'm assuming here that the ATL-ICN legs are Delta operated.

Looking at expertflyer for premium economy fares JFK-ICN for DL and KE, I see that DL G fares seem to map to KE W fares:

A KE W fare earning 125% Redeemable miles, 150% MQM and 25% MQD by distance according to Delta's partner earning chart
metalblaze likes this.
Old May 21, 20, 11:46 am

Not that odd. KL also has PE fare filings even though they don't yet have PE cabins which are used for booking partner codeshare PE cabins. They book into KL W/S/A booking class. KL Chart has not been updated to reflect this, but I believe they earn same as W/S/A class.

Last edited by xliioper; May 23, 20 at 12:44 pm
Old May 21, 20, 2:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OP should also be able to book the DL PS flight under a DL code with DL ticket stock through IAP. Have you tried calling PTS/CTS? IME it's about a 15% discount on DL PS tickets through IAP, although the ones I purchased to ICN and HND had fares well under $2000 RT.
SoroSuub1 likes this.
Old May 23, 20, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
OP should also be able to book the DL PS flight under a DL code with DL ticket stock through IAP. Have you tried calling PTS/CTS? IME it's about a 15% discount on DL PS tickets through IAP, although the ones I purchased to ICN and HND had fares well under $2000 RT.
Thanks everyone - per your suggestion, got DL PS tickets booked for JFK-ICN-TPE via Amex IAP for ~$1100 (Feb 2021)...Came at ~13% discount than DL.com.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 23, 20, 3:26 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Very good, but the next step might be to try to do a mileage upgrade (IIRC about 30,000 DL miles in each direction TPAC) to D1. It's a very good deal from PS if available, and I'd rather spend the miles than use GUCs unless clearing comes down to the day fo departure. Also, I like getting the additional MQMs for PS, often at a fare that's close to coach levels after the IAP discount.
In2ishn likes this.
Old May 24, 20, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Very good, but the next step might be to try to do a mileage upgrade (IIRC about 30,000 DL miles in each direction TPAC) to D1. It's a very good deal from PS if available, and I'd rather spend the miles than use GUCs unless clearing comes down to the day fo departure. Also, I like getting the additional MQMs for PS, often at a fare that's close to coach levels after the IAP discount.
Thank you for the advice. I called the DM desk, and ATL-ICN or MSP-ICN was a whopping 153k miles each way for upgrade to D1! While we did check multiple dates/flights for travel, the miles required for an upgrade didn't change much. So, ended up using my GUCs and got D1 seats confirmed.
Old May 24, 20, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by metalblaze View Post
Thank you for the advice. I called the DM desk, and ATL-ICN or MSP-ICN was a whopping 153k miles each way for upgrade to D1! While we did check multiple dates/flights for travel, the miles required for an upgrade didn't change much. So, ended up using my GUCs and got D1 seats confirmed.
NO, DL quoted you the price in miles to buy up to D1 by paying the fare difference, probably based on Z class availability.

I'm talking about using a mileage upgrade award that books into upgrade inventory, the same as a GUC would use. The number of miles needed is fixed at about 30,000 per direction TPAC but upgrade inventory is needed, IIRC OU class.

There's a thread on this.
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old May 24, 20, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
The MUA thread is: Delta Mileage Upgrade Awards

As MSPe alluded to, agent knowledge could be an issue because these are no longer offered domestically and newer agents might not be familiar with them maybe?
Old May 24, 20, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
The MUA thread is: Delta Mileage Upgrade Awards

As MSPe alluded to, agent knowledge could be an issue because these are no longer offered domestically and newer agents might not be familiar with them maybe?
Thank you - called the DM desk earlier today, and was in fact able to use MUA for MSP-ICN RT for 45k miles/leg to upgrade from PS to D1. Will use the GUCs for another trip.

Thanks again.
DCAhome likes this.
Old May 24, 20, 2:05 pm

Just to make sure, you do know, don't you, that the miles should include FC upgrades on any domestic (same day and same fare component) connecting flights on the same ticket/PNR if upgrade inventory is available? I'm guessing you're flying from NYC.
Old May 24, 20, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Just to make sure, you do know, don't you, that the miles should include FC upgrades on any domestic (same day and same fare component) connecting flights on the same ticket/PNR if upgrade inventory is available? I'm guessing you're flying from NYC.
Correct - flying from NYC. No FC inventory - at least yet - on the domestic legs.
Old May 25, 20, 11:51 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by metalblaze View Post
Thank you - called the DM desk earlier today, and was in fact able to use MUA for MSP-ICN RT for 45k miles/leg to upgrade from PS to D1. Will use the GUCs for another trip.

Thanks again.
I used miles to upgrade ATL-ICN on my last trip from PS->D1.

Definitely worth it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: