Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to retire its entire Boeing 777 fleet by the end of the year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to retire its entire Boeing 777 fleet by the end of the year

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2020, 10:20 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Love the 3-3-3 config of the 777 in the back, definitely going to miss that, even though I understand the need to save money. Think my last ride on one must have been a few years ago during the last few months of the SEA-HKG route. (Wow have things changed quickly!)

I know a few months ago DL made big news about making LAX-JFK flown on all 767s. Beyond that and rotations of wide bodies, DL doesn’t seem to like to use wide bodies domestically that much. I wonder if that will change post corona, if long thin domestic routes are cut and more people are routed on hub-hub flights. I know people don’t like 767s up front but they’re very comfortable in Y, and having them on shorter hub-hub routes might negate some of the discomfort in F.
Old May 14, 2020, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by ethernal
Airline planning at a place like Delta doesn't typically look at grudges or emotions. Mega-orders can be $5-10B+ capital outlays and even more in long-term operational expense impact. Delta will buy what fits their needs at a price they like. I think there could be interesting human factors in negotiation in terms of two entities putting their swords down and making a deal happen but don't pretend for a second that Delta wouldn't buy commit to a Boeing order (demand issues right now aside) if Boeing gave them the right planes at the right price.
I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Delta order a 787 variant in the next decade. Delta cares about making money and they will buy what they think will return the most.
Old May 14, 2020, 10:24 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by mattp1987
With reduced demand, could it make sense to combine Lagos and Johannesburg (or Cape Town)? Delta uses an A330 for ATL-LOS although they apparently used 767-300ERs when the route launched. That link also mentions that Delta at one time flew to both JNB and CPT with stops at Dakar.
I know we're in unprecedented times, but I would be highly surprised if they completely killed the JNB route. It seemed to be a profitable route. Fares were always super high and the times I flew it, the plane was pretty full.

Last edited by eneq; May 14, 2020 at 10:40 am
Old May 14, 2020, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
this decision was NOT about passenger experiences, it was ALL about economics
Old May 14, 2020, 10:27 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Newman55
I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Delta order a 787 variant in the next decade. Delta cares about making money and they will buy what they think will return the most.
Anything is possible if Boeing is desperate to sell at a firesale price, but outside of MRO rights I don't know how much of a value prop the 787 is for Delta when they already operate the A350 and A339 families.

Delta doesn't need a 787-10 - they have the A359.

Delta doesn't need a 787-9 - they have the A339 (and they don't need the extra range the 787-9 provides over the A339).

Delta does need a smaller widebody, but the 787-8 economics are pretty terrible which is why no one is buying them anymore.
Old May 14, 2020, 10:28 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Newman55
If Boeing had managed to get the MOM out, I'm fairly certain that DL would have taken a very serious look at it too
cmd320 and ryw like this.
Old May 14, 2020, 10:35 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Skymiles
may have been discussed before but was there any reason why DL hasn't invested in the 787 program?
Old May 14, 2020, 10:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SFOFlyer2
may have been discussed before but was there any reason why DL hasn't invested in the 787 program?
It was too expensive for Delta.
Old May 14, 2020, 10:38 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Anything is possible if Boeing is desperate to sell at a firesale price, but outside of MRO rights I don't know how much of a value prop the 787 is for Delta when they already operate the A350 and A339 families.

Delta doesn't need a 787-9 - they have the A339 (and they don't need the extra range the 787-9 provides over the A339).

Delta does need a smaller widebody, but the 787-8 economics are pretty terrible which is why no one is buying them anymore.
DIsagree on the 787-9 - for routes like LAX-SYD and ATL-HND (there are others but these two come to mind first), the 339 can't do (or can't do well), and the 787-9 would be a much better fit capacity wise for DL's network than the A359
readywhenyouare likes this.
Old May 14, 2020, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Duke787
I wonder if Boeing has put any serious though into re-opening the 767 passenger line. The line itself is still open for the KC-46 and Boeing claims they won't make more passenger 767s but the new normal could bring such a plane back into favor (with some fuel efficiency improvements).
The fact the 767 will remain in production for the 767-300F and the KC-46 does hold out for a potential future passenger derivative. Given that Boeing has been hammered first with the 737 MAX fiasco, and now with the COVID-19 pandemic, a derivative rather than a new airplane makes sense. A new composite wing, like the 777-8/9 might make sense to maximize the economics. Alternatively, a shrink of the 787, with a new, smaller, lighter weight wing, might fit the 200 seat (3-class) TATL-range market.
Old May 14, 2020, 10:42 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by SFOFlyer2
Likely came down to price. It is generally believed that Airbus provided very attractive commercials on the A339 that Boeing (which had a very, very strong 787 backlog at the time) had less incentive to give Delta a good deal.

Delta definitely **wants** a new small widebody aircraft. The NMA was always at risk, but now it's clearly dead - at least in the form of the original concept and at least in a timeline that would work for a natural replacement of Delta's 767 fleet. Now the closest thing that exists today is the 787-8 which has poor economics. So Delta will have to decide if they want more A339 or 789, and my guess is they will stick with the A339 unless Boeing offers them very compelling economics (totally possible).
Mountain Explorer likes this.
Old May 14, 2020, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Is the D1 seat on the the 777 exactly the same as the A359 and/or the A339? Aka will they be able to simply rip out those seats and put them into new A359/A339 deliveries with minimal tweaks or will they have to write those seats off entirely.

I assume the refurbished Y / C+ and the new PS seats can be fairly easily re-deployed to other parts of the fleet (or fitted to new planes instead of buying net new seats for those deliveries).
Old May 14, 2020, 10:44 am

I don't disagree with you, but I don't think their current orders are sufficient for all of the retirements long term (all 767s, 777 and older 330s). Traffic will come back, it's just a matter of when.
Old May 14, 2020, 10:45 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Hey DL...

You want to raise some $$$?
If it's not worth repurposing the suites from 777's to the A359's...
Sell them when you restart your monthly company sales at ATL again.
I'll bring the truck.
Old May 14, 2020, 10:45 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
DL has stated many times that the 787 backlog was a big problem, Airbus was able to offer delivery dates that were years before Boeing could.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.