Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to retire its entire Boeing 777 fleet by the end of the year

Delta to retire its entire Boeing 777 fleet by the end of the year

Old May 14, 2020, 8:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pfreet
Why did Delta need to announce this? Couldn't they wait a month or two and see what happens? We don't know for sure if the long haul travel drop will look like a U or a V yet
Agreed. It seems really premature. AA was already planning on retiring the A330 before the coronavirus hit. Now they're just expediting it. And they also have 787 on order to replace the capacity.
Old May 14, 2020, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Why did Delta need to announce this? Couldn't they wait a month or two and see what happens? We don't know for sure if the long haul travel drop will look like a U or a V yet
It's more dramatic this way, when looking for more government subsidies.
They can always rescind the decision in a few months.
tvnwz and kalderlake like this.
Old May 14, 2020, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Saw this posted on Twitter (from a news reporter). Apparently the internal memo that went out with this public announcement. The $50M/day cash burn isn't a new number (I've seen that reported elsewhere). What I find interesting is he specifically mentions that the A359 and A330 will perform long-haul flying as demand returns. Can't imagine that he just forgot about the 767. Instead to me that suggests the 767 is the next to go but they haven't quite made a firm decision.

Old May 14, 2020, 8:25 am
Formerly known as scootr29

Glad the wife and I got to fly on a Delta 777 in December from JNB to ATL.

RIP 777 😢
Old May 14, 2020, 8:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kjnangre
Well of course they won't place an order anytime soon, they ALREADY have plenty of open orders on the books for A350s. And yes, some of them have been deferred. But do you seriously believe that if DL called up Airbus and asked for a few more deliveries that Airbus would refuse and tell them to go away? Give me a break.

Of course Airbus would be glad to. But DL isn't going to do it for a very long time. If they thought they needed the capacity they wouldn't be getting rid of the 777. Getting rid of seats is the whole point.
Old May 14, 2020, 8:26 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
They've already had a month or two to look at the data, clearly they've made their decision. Rumors would start to fly. If DL didn't announce it then someone else would have announced it for them. Always better to frame the announcement yourself rather than let someone else do it.
Old May 14, 2020, 8:28 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by rylan
The news from DL says the 359 burns 21% less fuel per seat... its really that much less than the 777? Or is there some magic marketing math from Airbus in the works there? OR si the cargo capacity of the 359 much lower? Obviously the 777 LR has greater range for those ultra-long trips to JNB etc.
I mean, the A350 is a plane with more modern engines and much heavier composite use. It is significantly more fuel efficient - by at least 10-15%. The remaining delta (no pun intended) is likely because Delta uses a very low density configuration on their 777s - 9 abreast and lots of C+ seats. The A350 actually has more seats on it than Delta's 777 configuration.
Old May 14, 2020, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Of course Airbus would be glad to. But DL isn't going to do it for a very long time. If they thought they needed the capacity they wouldn't be getting rid of the 777. Getting rid of seats is the whole point.
No. Replacing inefficient planes with efficient ones, getting rid of oddball small fleets (777 is the smallest fleet at DL) and consolidating onto a few larger fleets, is the whole point.
SPN Lifer and Jeremy3292 like this.
Old May 14, 2020, 8:31 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
No. Replacing inefficient planes with efficient ones, getting rid of oddball small fleets (777 is the smallest fleet at DL) and consolidating onto a few larger fleets, is the whole point.
I agree - I'm shocked by the timing with the completion of the the re-configuration/upgrade of the 777 to D1 Suites. With the current situation of Virgin Australia and Delta probably switching the LAX-SYD to A350 - as a frequent flier of JFK-LAX-SYD, this might be the time to switch to JFK-ICN-SYD on KE
Old May 14, 2020, 8:32 am
Suspended

Do you have a source with DL stating they have reversed their order deferrals? There is nothing waiting to replace these aircraft when they are retired this year.
Old May 14, 2020, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Do you have a source with DL stating they have reversed their order deferrals? There is nothing waiting to replace these aircraft when they are retired this year.
With the expected multi-year lull in international travel, DL has plenty of widebodies to do the job. And if things do pick up faster than planned, Airbus will be glad to deliver the A339s and A359s that are already on the books. The official announcement clearly states that those 2 plane types are DL's path forward into recovery
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 14, 2020, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I must say this is actually quite surprising to me given the age of the aircraft and that they were the only real option on at least a couple of routes.

I wouldn't have been sad to see the 767s go first given how much I hate the J seat on those planes but oh well. I wonder what DL will do with all of those brand new D1 suites that were just installed.
Old May 14, 2020, 8:47 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
I can’t say that I’m surprised by this move. Ed had recently said that anything planned on being retired in the next 5 years would be accelerated and the ERs were already 20+ years old. I’m surprised that the 777s were the first to be announced, but most can easily be replaced by the 359 compared to other fleets needing replacement.
Old May 14, 2020, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LDNConsultant
I agree - I'm shocked by the timing with the completion of the the re-configuration/upgrade of the 777 to D1 Suites. With the current situation of Virgin Australia and Delta probably switching the LAX-SYD to A350 - as a frequent flier of JFK-LAX-SYD, this might be the time to switch to JFK-ICN-SYD on KE
Not much difference between D1 on the 777 and A350. Certainly not enough to warrant flying an extra 10 hours, “enjoying” the ICN KE lounges and taking KE’s shoddy biz class on ICN-SYD
ijgordon, krazykanuck and Duke787 like this.
Old May 14, 2020, 8:50 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
DL is making a definitive bet that long haul international travel will not recover to any degree of profitability for 3-5 years minimum.
This is also a bet by DL that TATL travel will come back faster than their current suite of long-haul routes to Asia and JNB.

They are probably right since we are going to see prolonged restrictions like mandatory 2 week quarantines for arrivals and wildly differing definitions of immunity for at least 2 years.
Countries who have a strategy of suppressing the virus at all costs will not co-mingle with countries that have a higher percent of exposed citizens (although likely immune) for a long time. The strategies of how to "handle" the virus are more aligned between the US and Europe compared to the US and Asia and even Australia thus far. And those routes that do continue will be served just fine with the A339 and A359.
This chart was from an IATA call yesterday. I pulled it from Seth Miller’s Twitter feed (@WandrMe). It seems to show similar projections to what you two are saying although without explicitly breaking out domestic vs international.

FlyBitcoin likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.