Kettle One Fly for Life Pass

Old May 16, 2020, 3:26 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Doubtful they'd want to do a lifetime pass (given how they've already had to navigate working with lifetime SkyClub memberships). Million miler complimentary status isn't even called lifetime either, just "annual." So perhaps if anything I suppose I could see some type of annual pass/subscription as an option. Maybe an annual domestic Y pass for unlimited flights in coach? Or maybe even an annual domestic F (excluding domestic D1) subscription/pass as an option.
Old May 16, 2020, 5:30 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
I'm very happy with my lifetime WorldClub membership and have gotten my value out of it. It's helpful for getting short term cash if you really need it. I took the risk with NW in 2006 that it would be something that I could use, and so far it's been a good investment. It also ties me a little closer to using Delta more since it's nice to have these on my domestic trips (since I'd generally get access with my STE+ on international).

I am surprised there's not more cash generation right now via gift cards and say Membership Rewards transfer bonuses. (Citi TR also doesn't have any transfer bonuses) so that the airlines can any kind of revenue. (Not sure how that accounting is though, since of course miles are also a liability, until the ticket is booked or travelled??)
Old May 16, 2020, 8:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
I'm very happy with my lifetime WorldClub membership and have gotten my value out of it. It's helpful for getting short term cash if you really need it. I took the risk with NW in 2006 that it would be something that I could use, and so far it's been a good investment. It also ties me a little closer to using Delta more since it's nice to have these on my domestic trips (since I'd generally get access with my STE+ on international).

I am surprised there's not more cash generation right now via gift cards and say Membership Rewards transfer bonuses. (Citi TR also doesn't have any transfer bonuses) so that the airlines can any kind of revenue. (Not sure how that accounting is though, since of course miles are also a liability, until the ticket is booked or travelled??)
Miles are a liability, but with $0 in interest and that should naturally shrink over time as they are devauled. When Delta gets miles from Amex they see an increase in Cash and an increase in liabilities, which is a big win in this environment.
Old May 24, 2020, 2:30 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
DL and UA have supposedly been in talks with Amex and Chase respectively about pre-selling a large block of miles for an attractive price. If the price is right, Amex/DL may offer a transfer bonus. I am not sure whether these usually come from the bank or from the airline or a combination of the two; obviously DL's motivation is to raise as much cash as possible from that relationship.

I think the concept of selling lifetime lounge memberships would also not be out of the question, probably for about $5,000 or so. One of the issues is that once someone has a lifetime membership, a lot of the ancillary revenue opportunities (annual membership, Amex Platinum card, Delta Reserve card) become tougher to sell to that person, which in terms of lifetime value for the customer are likely higher.

I would also expect to see some aggressive offers to buy MQMs/MQDs at the end of the year, or possibly to outright buy status. It's likely worth it to DL to to annoy the elites that earned it for a year to raise some cash and stay alive.

Offering a value-bonus or a bonus in miles for buying a gift card now would not be crazy either; there might have to be some limits so that you don't turn around and buy a flight with it right away though.
Old May 25, 2020, 6:45 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by VFR
DL and UA have supposedly been in talks with Amex and Chase respectively about pre-selling a large block of miles for an attractive price. If the price is right, Amex/DL may offer a transfer bonus. I am not sure whether these usually come from the bank or from the airline or a combination of the two; obviously DL's motivation is to raise as much cash as possible from that relationship.

I think the concept of selling lifetime lounge memberships would also not be out of the question, probably for about $5,000 or so. One of the issues is that once someone has a lifetime membership, a lot of the ancillary revenue opportunities (annual membership, Amex Platinum card, Delta Reserve card) become tougher to sell to that person, which in terms of lifetime value for the customer are likely higher.

I would also expect to see some aggressive offers to buy MQMs/MQDs at the end of the year, or possibly to outright buy status. It's likely worth it to DL to to annoy the elites that earned it for a year to raise some cash and stay alive.

Offering a value-bonus or a bonus in miles for buying a gift card now would not be crazy either; there might have to be some limits so that you don't turn around and buy a flight with it right away though.
Gift cards are an interesting phenomena in my view. Back in the days, you would get a physical gift for somebody or you would give them cash. Cash would provide the flexibility to the recipient to decide what to buy. Then came gift cards ... I was thinking of you but couldn't decide what to get you and figure a gift card would be a great option. So, rather than giving you cash (or check), I'll limit your flexibility and give you a gift card. I have no idea whether you ever want to eat at xxx or buy something from yyy but you have the full flexibility to spend as you like. Sure, they may be instances where delivery of the gift card is easier since you can do it from the comfort of your home but in many instances, these are bought at supermarkets or stores and included in a physical envelope that is delivered in person. Why not settle for cash?

Now, on the topic of attaching a discount, they can certainly attached a validity period that is a day or some other time to address the purchase and use it instantaneously just to get the discount.
Old May 26, 2020, 5:55 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by cre95
Gift cards are an interesting phenomena in my view. Back in the days, you would get a physical gift for somebody or you would give them cash. Cash would provide the flexibility to the recipient to decide what to buy. Then came gift cards ... I was thinking of you but couldn't decide what to get you and figure a gift card would be a great option. So, rather than giving you cash (or check), I'll limit your flexibility and give you a gift card. I have no idea whether you ever want to eat at xxx or buy something from yyy but you have the full flexibility to spend as you like.
Obligatory Dilbert reference

Old May 26, 2020, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by VFR
Even if there were no restrictions on immediately booking a flight, it might still be worth it for Delta to offer a gift card bonus. Not everyone will immediately book a flight, and those that do have effectively waived their right for a cash refund if their flight is cancelled (it will go back on the gift card used to book the flight.) That's a pretty big benefit in terms of cash flow.
Old May 26, 2020, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by VFR
They should just do some more of the Delta gift cards at Costco - those were 10% off but went fast.
Old May 26, 2020, 5:38 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Marriott just did a 20% gift card promo, although the implementation/fulfillment was a bit of a fiasco for some (luckily I got what I wanted without much fuss)

Originally Posted by cre95
Gift cards are an interesting phenomena in my view. Back in the days, you would get a physical gift for somebody or you would give them cash. Cash would provide the flexibility to the recipient to decide what to buy. Then came gift cards ... I was thinking of you but couldn't decide what to get you and figure a gift card would be a great option. So, rather than giving you cash (or check), I'll limit your flexibility and give you a gift card.
There was some columnist a while back saying that cash gifts/gift cards are basically paying each other for our friendship. Although as sad as that may be, it's still probably better overall than buying each other useless crap that will just collect dust in a closet somewhere (assuming it's a gift card for something you'll actually use...)
Old May 26, 2020, 8:56 pm
MRW

Pan Am Clipper Club

My grandfather got lifetime Pan Am Clipper Club and TWA Amabassadors Club memberships when they were first introduced. Delta honored lifetime for Pan Am, but American only gave one year when it took over TWA.
Old May 27, 2020, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by VFR
Why would they try to sell MQMs/MQDs/status to people, when they have already extended status to next year, and are allowing all MQMs earned during 2020 and 2021 to count toward status in 2022? And as a customer, why would you buy it?
Old May 27, 2020, 2:35 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I guess you could buy them to boost your status would be the idea. Not a totally bad one, and I would see them perhaps extending this throughout 2021 as well. Think of it s a "status accelerator".
Old May 27, 2020, 3:10 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
Why would they try to sell MQMs/MQDs/status to people, when they have already extended status to next year, and are allowing all MQMs earned during 2020 and 2021 to count toward status in 2022? And as a customer, why would you buy it?
Because they receive cash at the time of sale for benefits they would provide in the future.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.